Anki

mikeinkamala

Hi, I have been using Anki for a few months and had about 250 hundred thai words plus translations. I used it about 3 weeks ago and noticed quite a few words in all the 12 decks I was useing were missing, I used it again yesterday and nearly all the words in all the decks were missing, disapeared, gone.

Can anybody here explain to me why this could of happened and also most important, is there any way I can restore these words.

Are you sure that you are clicking the "Add" button when you add a word to your deck?  In the ten years that I have been using Anki I have never lost any items, although I have occasionally failed to save a new entry.

Anki keeps local backups of the decks which you can access by clicking "File", "Switch Profile", "Open Backup."  You could check some of the previous backups for missing items.

In what way gone? They don't appear when you click study, or you can't see them in the browser? Maybe you buried some cards accidentally or changed your review settings (or maybe you updated the app and the default review settings changed).

Hi,

Thanks for the two previous posts gents.

The good news is I have found all the missing words in the "browse" section but the bad news is I don't know how to get them back to their original decks.

Will be grateful if anyone can tell me how to do it.

Mike

1 hour ago, mikeinkamala said:

Hi,

Thanks for the two previous posts gents.

The good news is I have found all the missing words in the "browse" section but the bad news is I don't know how to get them back to their original decks.

Will be grateful if anyone can tell me how to do it.

Mike

If you select them in the browser you can use CTRL + D to change the deck - or if you've accidentally moved them to a filtered deck, I think you can do it just by deleting that deck. Might be worth posting a screenshot.

4 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I repeat my question: why are you using 12 decks?

As per the help section in Anki, in order not to have to study the whole amount of words at one time and also make it easier by grouping words in different groups ie expressions, politics, health, diseases etc.

mike

21 hours ago, mikeinkamala said:

As per the help section in Anki, in order not to have to study the whole amount of words at one time and also make it easier by grouping words in different groups ie expressions, politics, health, diseases etc.

mike

That is what tags are for.  Anki is a database.  You segregate records in a database by the value of fields in each record.  In this case, the fields are called "tags."  If you keep them in separate decks you can't get aggregate statistics you have partitioned them, i.e. each card can only be in a single group or deck in your case.  But if you use tags then a card can belong to as many groups as you wish.  For example I have the conjunction ครั้นแล้ว tagged with "connector," "lesson 499," and "Ramakien," since I first encountered it in reading a summary of the Ramakien during my 499th lesson.

I have 14,000+ cards in my Thai decks with hundreds of tags, most of which are obsolete now.  Currently, I am focused on three groups identified by the tags: expressions, connectors, and intention for verbs and expressions that express or attribute intentions, e.g. "ignore" and "deceive."

What you should do is tag each entry in each deck with a descriptive tag and then export decks two through twelve.  Then you should import each exported deck into your deck #1, after which you can delete decks two through twelve.

Damian Elwes, who created Anki, has done an outstanding job, but he does have some strange ideas.  If the Anki help advised multiple decks, that's just bad advice.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:26 AM, mikeinkamala said:

mike

If it gives you too many cards you can change the new cards and review settings. Even with the default settings though it won't go all the way through the deck.

On 6/21/2020 at 2:24 AM, cmarshall said:

If the Anki help advised multiple decks, that's just bad advice.

I don't think it does advise that. I'm pretty sure it says to use tags and then create filtered decks if necessary. Personally I don't bother to split things up at all - I'm happy to have a random selection.