Options for Quarantining

DKStuntz

I'm wondering: Are the expensive, luxury-hotel packages, the ONLY option for expats who return to Thailand and need to be quarantined?  It looks like if I took a luxury-hotel package, I'd be paying a lot for "extras" that I personally don't need or care about.  I'm not sure whether or not foreigners can stay at government-run quarantine facilities, nor could I find any decent info about what the conditions are like at those facilities.  Also, in case the government-run facilities are unsuitable for foreigners, are there any "in-between" options for foreigners -- such as 3-star hotels?  Some time ago, I read that more options might become available for quarantining options, but I haven't gotten any update in quite a while.  I'd greatly appreciate any information that you may have.  Thanks.

I think the prices are very reasonable considering they include 3 meals a day.

The Wellness job is a bit expensive but had a look at inclusions & photos.

Pretty swish.

Royal Benja for example, in Oz or NZ would be double that with no meals, & not as good.

I know, we did it last year in Perth & melbourne

9 hours ago, Olmate said:

37CBDF21-D0EA-4C1E-8604-E4F1ADC43FFF.thumb.png.0593aab0c5a30b75934ff90c097c07ba.png

Wow. There Grand Richmond hotel is about 2,000 baht per night, so 28,000 baht for two weeks, with taxes. I assume this does not include meals. So, are most of these hotels simply adding a 100% "returning ex-pat perceived idiot fee"? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

I think the prices are very reasonable considering they include 3 meals a day.

The Wellness job is a bit expensive but had a look at inclusions & photos.

Pretty swish.

Royal Benja for example, in Oz or NZ would be double that with no meals, & not as good.

I know, we did it last year in Perth & melbourne

If the info in several newsites online is correct repatriated Thai nationals only pay ฿1000/night in Bangkok. Where do they stay? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If the info in several newsites online is correct repatriated Thai nationals only pay ฿1000/night in Bangkok. Where do they stay? 

The THB 1,000 is what the government pays the various hotels used for this.  As far as I have understood Thai's dont pay anything unless they opt for the more upmarket options.

Oh dear. Not another cheap charlie who wants to save a few bucks.

Either you come up with the cash to pay for a luxury hotel quarantine, or you wait until quarantines no longer apply. How hard can it be? If you don't have enough money, ask your parents or siblings.

Edited by drbeach

36 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wow. There Grand Richmond hotel is about 2,000 baht per night, so 28,000 baht for two weeks, with taxes. I assume this does not include meals. So, are most of these hotels simply adding a 100% "returning ex-pat perceived idiot fee"? 

Better than staying at a government quarantine facility not knowing what they might do to you there.

And the Grand Richmond Hotel you quoted probably doesn't offer 3 meals for that price.

I don't like this quarantine BS either - but IF I had to do it, I would accept it on the condition it's basically a 2 week holiday at a luxury hotel, with no strings attached. No medical tests, just allow me to do my "time".

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Three meals a day, two PCR tests and I suppose some other medical checks. They are not going to be making much profit with this.

And why only quarantine in Bangkok? If they only  allow up to 1,000 a day of those stranded to return, and there are several thousand more than that by all accounts, why not permit quarantining in Phuket also where I'm sure quite a few of us reside? Phuket airport is open. And, uh, Phuket is an island so much better control. It would also allow Phuket to 'kickstart' their hotels with their new safety rules and regulations in preparation for the massive influx of tourists that will 'flock' here this coming high season. 

Edited by victorpeeke

3 hours ago, drbeach said:

Better than staying at a government quarantine facility not knowing what they might do to you there.

And the Grand Richmond Hotel you quoted probably doesn't offer 3 meals for that price.

I don't like this quarantine BS either - but IF I had to do it, I would accept it on the condition it's basically a 2 week holiday at a luxury hotel, with no strings attached. No medical tests, just allow me to do my "time".

Better than staying at a government quarantine facility not knowing what they might do to you there.

what they might do to you there???

I would accept it on the condition it's basically a 2 week holiday at a luxury hotel, with no strings attached. No medical tests, just allow me to do my "time".

On behalf of the Thai people and government I thank you for your kindness

1 hour ago, victorpeeke said:

And why only quarantine in Bangkok? If they only  allow up to 1,000 a day of those stranded to return, and there are several thousand more than that by all accounts, why not permit quarantining in Phuket also where I'm sure quite a few of us reside? Phuket airport is open. And, uh, Phuket is an island so much better control. It would also allow Phuket to 'kickstart' their hotels with their new safety rules and regulations in preparation for the massive influx of tourists that will 'flock' here this coming high season. 

Probably because it's more easy to manage if they find positive cases 

4 hours ago, drbeach said:

Oh dear. Not another cheap charlie who wants to save a few bucks.

Either you come up with the cash to pay for a luxury hotel quarantine, or you wait until quarantines no longer apply. How hard can it be? If you don't have enough money, ask your parents or siblings.

But they’re not necessarily luxury hotels. Can’t you do the obvious comparison with their standard prices and work out the real opportunistic price gouge. How hard can that be for you...?

9 hours ago, victorpeeke said:

I'm sure a list of 'normal' hotels etc., has been announced weeks ago in Pattaya, with comments about passengers have to decide whether to go from Suvanabhumi to Bkk or to Pattaya.  

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It’s like buying a beer in a football stadium. If you want the beer you pay the price.

• Sad 1