Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Residence certificate

warcy

Does anyone know what are the documents required to apply for residence certificate at Chiang Mai immigration? 

What is the waiting time for a free certificate these past one or two months?

Edited by warcy

1 hour ago, PGThompson1 said:

If you have a yellow book, then why would you need a residence certificate?

You see how much problem traveling rules make now for foreigners living here without residency ?

I havent done any yet either ,but I have all the other papers I could posibly have.

Im not married but I have legal costody of my daughter.

Still blocked out because no residency.

I honestly didnt think it was that easy to get it,or I would have done it long time ago.

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, PGThompson1 said:

Maybe your'e confusing a residence certificate with a permanent residence card.

You need to have a residence certificate to obtain a driving licence, buying a vehicle, opening a bank account etc.

A yellow book means you don't need that piece of paper from immigration.

What is a yellow book?

14 hours ago, warcy said:

What is a yellow book?

It's a scam, perpetrated by the Thais, when they can be bothered, which is not always the case. to make you think you are welcome and have long term residency here, neither is true. Oh and you can't use it for anything useful to you. 

Others can be more precise, but that is what it appears to be to me. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont think anyone, Thais or otherwise, have ever said a yellow book represents proof of long term residency. Its simply a proof of address document.

You can basically use it anytime proof of address is required.

Yes, I know.  I just woke up with the most awful head ache this morning. Should never post when I feel like this. 

Others will know better, but I understood that you can't use the Yellow Book to get a DL, that you still need a Certificate of Residency from Immigration?   

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Thanks for the laugh, I often do the same, post before having a coffee.

You can use yellow book for license, if its the original document you used to get your license. Remember, yellow book has your name in Thai, not  english, so cant usually be used for ID or address where your name is in English (from passport). If you get your original license using yellow book then your Thai ID number is on your license (not PP number) yellow book is the primary and accepted ID

I have a bank account opened with yellow book, the account name is in Thai as per the yellow book, yellow book is the only document I can use to operate that account. The same applies for accounts I have opened with Passport, the account name is in English and passport is the only document I can use to operate that account.

If you started life in Thailand with a yellow book, you could use it as your only document. Unfortunately we all start life in Thailand with a PP, then get a yellow book. And its in a different language to our original license, bank accounts etc.

A yellow book can be used for a License renewal , They accept it instead of the residency certificate no matter when you got it.

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Yes, I know.  I just woke up with the most awful head ache this morning. Should never post when I feel like this. 

Others will know better, but I understood that you can't use the Yellow Book to get a DL, that you still need a Certificate of Residency from Immigration?   

Yellow Book is exactly what You need to do it easily. Needs 2 witnesses. Head Man, and someone currently employed by the Government, i get mine on Thursday if the turn up.

17 minutes ago, fcgprg said:

A yellow book can be used for a License renewal , They accept it instead of the residency certificate no matter when you got it.

It depends on the local DLT but most of the time the ID you present when you get your license, is the ongoing ID you present to renew a license.

Usually, if your license has your passport number on it, that is the ID they want to see, if your license has yellow book/Thai ID number on it then that is the ID required.

Yellow book contains your address so no further documents are required, Passport doesn't have an address so a further Res Cert is required.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Yellow Book is exactly what You need to do it easily. Needs 2 witnesses. Head Man, and someone currently employed by the Government, i get mine on Thursday if the turn up.

Different District Offices seem to have different requirements.  Mine in Mae Rim went smoothly.  Wife took some documents to the office and requested instructions and forms.  She went back a second time with the information they requested and had them check it.  Then she had to go and get a signature from the Puu Yai Baan.  Final trip to the District Office included me and one witness and took about 20 minutes or pleasant processing before I walked out with the Yellow Book.

The key was having the wife convinced that it was a good thing to get.  That came about because she spoke with another Thai woman whose foreign husband passed away.  That lady was having difficulty with some related required documents and stated that if her husband had had a Yellow Book things would have been dramatically easier.  So there is a Yellow Book use that is not usually mentioned.

Go get one next week.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

It depends on the local DLT but most of the time the ID you present when you get your license, is the ongoing ID you present to renew a license.

Usually, if your license has your passport number on it, that is the ID they want to see, if your license has yellow book/Thai ID number on it then that is the ID required.

Yellow book contains your address so no further documents are required, Passport doesn't have an address so a further Res Cert is required.

The yellow but negates getting a residency certificate, you will still have to present your Passport if you are a foreigner, your id number i.e. Passport number will go on the driving license, 

On 6/20/2020 at 9:38 AM, Peterw42 said:

The same applies for accounts I have opened with Passport, the account name is in English and passport is the only document I can use to operate that account.

And if you renew your passport you have to change it with the bank.  Found that one out the hard way.

(And my BigC card is linked to a passport I had in 2007 - I'm on to my 3rd one since then and tried to change it once but it was too hard).

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

A driving licence has our address so isn't that sufficient?

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

A driving licence has our address so isn't that sufficient?

Use the address on the old license to get a new license?  No Eric they require current documentation of current address.

They need to be sure so they can mail you your speeding and red light running tickets.

• 5 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 10:14 PM, Genericnic said:

@warcy

Here are the requirements posted at the desk on the 2nd floor. They accept applications from 8:30 until noon. Current wait for free CR is about 20 days. Next day will cost you 500 baht.

David

20200527_150806-01.jpeg

Can someone else go on your behalf do you know?

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 10:14 PM, Genericnic said:

@warcy

Here are the requirements posted at the desk on the 2nd floor. They accept applications from 8:30 until noon. Current wait for free CR is about 20 days. Next day will cost you 500 baht.

David

20200527_150806-01.jpeg

I was just there today (Mar. 2, '21).  I didn't need the lease agreement or a copy of the visa page.  However I did need an envelope with a 5฿ stamp.  The photo shop sold me the envelope with the stamp inside for 10฿.  The young lady said I could expect to wait 50 days.  There was no indication of any fee for expedited processing.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I was just there today (Mar. 2, '21).  I didn't need the lease agreement or a copy of the visa page.  However I did need an envelope with a 5฿ stamp.  The photo shop sold me the envelope with the stamp inside for 10฿.  The young lady said I could expect to wait 50 days.  There was no indication of any fee for expedited processing.

Fee for expedited processing no longer available.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Joseph98765 said:

Hi! how it was finally? when I did mine they didn't ask me for envelope and stamp...hope she didn't forget that. Did they ask you? are you still waiting?

I haven't gone yet, I'm planning to go this week.