Thai's not paying bills or leaving it to the very last minute?

Keyser Soze666

Look at it this way. 

On Wednesday you and the missus go and look at a truck to buy.  On Thursday you find the one you want, and make plans to go on Monday to buy it.  On Friday night while walking to get the family some food, you get wacked by a vehicle that looses control and runs up on the sidewalk, nearly killing you, before fleeing.  Your taken to the hospital and in the ICU where your told that you need extensive surgery which will deplete the money needed for the new truck.  The missus comes to visit and her only concern is "We still go on Monday to buy the truck, yes", you answer that there is no way you can go and buy the new Truck because you need the money for surgery, and you are also in a body cast and cannot not move.  The missus looks at you and says "You promised on Monday we go to buy a new truck, now you tell me No", "You are a liar and I no love you no more".  Look at where her priorities are...

Fact or fiction?  Thai's always need money for something else and no matter what bill is due, they have always kicked the can down the road.  My ex-wifes family always stopped paying certain bills for 2 to 3 months before we returned for our annual visit.  Why, because they knew I would have to pay them or else....glad I am no longer married to a Thai woman.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Look at it this way. 

On Wednesday you and the missus go and look at a truck to buy.  On Thursday you find the one you want, and make plans to go on Monday to buy it.  On Friday night while walking to get the family some food, you get wacked by a vehicle that looses control and runs up on the sidewalk, nearly killing you, before fleeing.  Your taken to the hospital and in the ICU where your told that you need extensive surgery which will deplete the money needed for the new truck.  The missus comes to visit and her only concern is "We still go on Monday to buy the truck, yes", you answer that there is no way you can go and buy the new Truck because you need the money for surgery, and you are also in a body cast and cannot not move.  The missus looks at you and says "You promised on Monday we go to buy a new truck, now you tell me No", "You are a liar and I no love you no more".  Look at where her priorities are...

Fact or fiction?  Thai's always need money for something else and no matter what bill is due, they have always kicked the can down the road.  My ex-wifes family always stopped paying certain bills for 2 to 3 months before we returned for our annual visit.  Why, because they knew I would have to pay them or else....glad I am no longer married to a Thai woman.

Yep, you are well out of it. I was stupid enough to have kids with my one,so laid my bed now, as such.

15 minutes ago, stouricks said:
33 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

I don't need three more days, I'm just telling you what True offers it's customers as you did ask.  Seems as though my reply that backed-up my claim wasn't to your liking.

I did not ask anything about True, and most of your replies are not to my liking anyway.

""I did not ask anything about True..."

I didn't say that you did.

"...and most of your replies are not to my liking..."

Oh, dear.  Lucky that no one's replies have to conform to your 'liking'.

"Ignore list!"

Geez...

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

ive only read a couple of posts ,but no my wife pays early usually ,but her  and her family have all been in business or have quite good jobs ,maybe that is why .

I'm surprised this has taken 3 pages, very surprised in fact.

You guys get so wound up about the smallest things

My wife handles the money, she pays when she wants to pay, never had any issues at all, she possibly does not pay on time, but obviously knows how things work in Thailand

That is why she handles the transactions ????

Life is good

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

You guys get so wound up about the smallest things

My wife handles the money, she pays when she wants to pay, never had any issues at all, she possibly does not pay on time, but obviously knows how things work in Thailand

That is why she handles the transactions ????

Life is good

Aww. Bless.

Let 'us GUYS' carry on getting wound up, it makes you feel alive!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"Ignore list!"

Geez...

Read your post no. 29.

Do you not want me to ignore you?

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

then I ask for the wifi password, so i can re-connect to civilisation 'Oh, no wifi, not pay bill for 3 months' is the retort. Ridiculous. Guess who ended up paying the 2k, yep old muggings here,

Why not just buy a weeks 4G for your phone SIM and have your own internet - costs about 300THB for 10mbps unlimited no throttle?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stouricks said:
17 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

"Ignore list!"

Geez...

Read your post no. 29.

Do you not want me to ignore you?

So much for "Ignore list!", then!

"Read your post no. 29".

I know exactly what I posted, thanks.  What are you trying to say about it?

"Do you not want me to ignore you?"

You really think I care?!

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Why not just buy a weeks 4G for your phone SIM and have your own internet - costs about 300THB for 10mbps unlimited no throttle?

if you mean just for trip I decided to do the sister in law a favour, sue, me, plus my kids wanted to get online.

I had a contract with AIS but seemed to be getting higher bills than I thought I should be and realised I wasn't even using it much as I was either at home or at a local watering hole where I connect to their wifi so ended up binning it.

9 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

So much for "Ignore list!", then!

"Read your post no. 29".

I know exactly what I posted, thanks.  What are you trying to say about it?

"Do you not want me to ignore you?"

You really think I care?!

Sorry Bob, it was your post 20 where you said....I'm just telling you what True offers it's customers as you did ask.  

• Haha 1

My wife's relatives have several vehicles on finance. I couldn't understand how they did it on their small salaries. Those payments, plus their rent, plus other bills. Then they revealed to me the secret.

One month, they'll make one car payment, and let another one go. Sometimes one, maybe even two months. Then they'll finally make a payment on it, and then let another car go. A fun game of musical chairs. One or two of their cars is always in arrears, just enough to keep the repo man away. As long as some payment has been made in recent months, they won't bother sending out the repo man. There are just too many delinquent cars, and too many used cars sitting on the lots.

This is also like how when my mom tried getting into property rental years back. It was a separate unit but without its own electric meter, so she said flat rate electric was included in the rent. Though the rent was still reasonable, there were quite a few people who didn't like this. They wanted cheaper rent without electric included, and a meter to pay the electric company themselves. My mom told me this was so they could do it "ghetto style", only pay the electric every other month, as that was usually the amount of time they gave before cutting you off.

1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Certainly, personal experience. 

An overdue internet bill from True, for example, doesn't result in instant cancellation of the service, they wait a few days and then, if you call them, they will usually reconnect for another three days to allow you time to get the bill paid.

Yes we all know that is the case with most bills, but why go thru the hassle--just pay on time or a few days before.. then no hassles.

• Like 1

It has more to do with people in general, from all countries, who struggle to pay the bills or were raised poorly if it comes to money. That behaviour can then stay, even when you do get enough from for example husband, nowadays. 

Anyway, moved into a airbnb property for 6 months and even did a deposit, to then find out Internet being cut off too, now after 2 notices and asking, I need to pay both a month and advance to keep it Live, garbage was not paid for 5 months (40 baht per month jesus), noticing a lot behind maintenance on the property too and that will result in very expensive fixes in X years for sure. Beautiful house with wooden floors but if one weighs 100kg you would see the ground floor soon, or wake up with your bed in the living room.

My wife personally is not like this at all, even they had little money before, she always pays early and is scared to even be a day late.
That is just one of the few qualities as well but certainly a nice one. Read the book or see the video of Rich Dad Poor Dad.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They took my water meter away last year.

Misses had been given money, but didn't pay it (even though on her phone app).

Said I'd leave if the utilities were cut again. She hasn't dared forget a bill since.

Thais really are like children, they have to have boundaries set for them.

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

My wife's relatives have several vehicles on finance. I couldn't understand how they did it on their small salaries. Those payments, plus their rent, plus other bills. Then they revealed to me the secret.

One month, they'll make one car payment, and let another one go. Sometimes one, maybe even two months. Then they'll finally make a payment on it, and then let another car go. A fun game of musical chairs. One or two of their cars is always in arrears, just enough to keep the repo man away. As long as some payment has been made in recent months, they won't bother sending out the repo man. There are just too many delinquent cars, and too many used cars sitting on the lots.

This is also like how when my mom tried getting into property rental years back. It was a separate unit but without its own electric meter, so she said flat rate electric was included in the rent. Though the rent was still reasonable, there were quite a few people who didn't like this. They wanted cheaper rent without electric included, and a meter to pay the electric company themselves. My mom told me this was so they could do it "ghetto style", only pay the electric every other month, as that was usually the amount of time they gave before cutting you off.

Some people just love making their lives complicated. I prefer the KISS principle.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

but mainly because it would have literally been unbearable staying there with no wifi, plus my kids wanted to get online, of course.

You can buy an internet SIM Card with unlimited access for 1 year on Lazada for 1750 Baht . Your mobile serves as a hotspot and you have internet wherever you go ...

BTW , Keyser , greeting from the ' usual suspect ' ...

An apartment building I lived in before (in South Pattaya) was like that (not paying the bills on time). They'd collect all the rent money the day it was due - then go spend it. When the bills for water and electricity showed up, they'd ignore them.

Until the guy showed up to cut the power/water. Then they'd have to dash to the (water or electricity) office and pay the previous months' bill and try to ride it out until the end of the month when they could collect rents again.
And ignore the bills again.

I have (had) other Thai friends that were like that as well. One guy was supposed to look after my house while I was away working. I left money (with his wife) to pay the electricity and water bills while I was gone so that everything would be on when I returned and they were supposed to keep an eye on the place as well.

They kept the money and ignored the bills. I get home to find everything shut off (good thing I emptied the fridge every time before I left). Their excuse - "oops, sorry, mai pen rai". They "forgot".
But they didn't forget to use my house to **** in (not sure if it was the wife and husband or the wife and some other guy or the husband and one of his many "side girls").

Took me months to get my money back from him and then they were upset that I didn't ask them to look after the place the next time I left. (I was able to set up the electricity bill for auto-payment with the bank and the housing estate let me pay for the "village fees" (water, garbage, etc) months in advance so I didn't have any problems after that. And didn't need to change the sheets on my bed the minute I walked through the door again.)

But not all are like that. I think the people that aren't swimming in debt or living on minimum wage (or less)  are more likely to pay their bills on time.

Others just have that lackadaisical attitude that it just doesn't matter. I guess the inconvenience of having to run to the water/power office every month to get things reconnected is easier than just paying the bill on time.

Doesn't make sense to me but "mai pen rai" ! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Not with the internet!  True will cut after about 5 days overdue; which internet company allows a month past due date without cutting service?

Youre unlucky then. Since these idiots stopped theTV App, i cant post a pic of my True App messages that are longer than the Gettysburg Address..Needles to say there in Thai, so the Old Handbrake reads em and pays by BKB app..

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Guess who ended up paying the 2k, yep old muggings here, but mainly because it would have literally been unbearable staying there with no wifi, plus my kids wanted to get online, of course

Seems like they are doing just fine without wifi but only you have a problem living without it. So why should they keep paying for something they don't need month after month when you don't go the very often? 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Christ your touchy... need a thicker skin....

Nope. Old Inspector Cluseau truly believes I was 'set up' He's up there with the fairies. You can say what you want to me as long as it's not completely made up. Fair enough?

1 hour ago, Saraburi121 said:

In my observations,  procrastination in paying bills and creative personal financial management has been refined to an art form here.

Certainly has. Talk of paying bills in the west barely raises a murmour in a UK household, but here it indeed is an artform. Mind you, people in the UK actually have life's and things to do every day. Here it's become an 'interesting' topic to compare lekky bills. Sad.

• Thanks 1