Kalasin: Seven year old drowns after going for lunchtime dip in reservoir with relatives

webfact

Kalasin: Seven year old drowns after going for lunchtime dip in reservoir with relatives

499949.jpg

Tragedy struck at the Huay Samran reservoir in Kalasin in Thailand's north eastern region yesterday when a seven year old boy drowned after taking a swim with relatives at lunchtime. 

Police were called when Jakrarin went missing but they and relatives of the boy were unable to locate him. 

He was found later under the water by army divers. He was given CPR but was pronounced dead at the scene. 

The boy's parents said they are workers at a nearby animal protection reserve. After lunch some relatives including their son had decided to go for a dip in the reservoir. 

Jakrarin, who was not a strong swimmer, found himself in difficulty in deep water and disappeared. 

Police determined it was an accident. 

Death from drowning among children under 15, though it has decreased significantly over the last decade, was still the number one cause of death in that age group in 2018, notes Thaivisa.

From 2000 to 2018, 22,700 children drowned in Thailand - that is about four or five per day. Many die in the school holidays, especially at Songkran.

Death from road accidents now challenges as the leading cause of child death after many schools implemented swimming lessons. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-18

• Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Darksidedude said:

First thing i did for my daughter is get her to learn to swim, it is a must for every parent to do this.

Absolutely.  We started taking our children to the swimming baths at age 6 months and they can't remember a time when they couldn't swim. They were like fish in the water by the time they were young teenagers. It's an absolutely essential skill for everyone, not only for personal safety, but to help to save others if need be. 

Very sad and RIP young lad. I can appreciate the panic he must have endured as I did so 66 years ago. Whilst learning to swim with my Primary School class mates, organised at our local council swimming pool, I lost grip of my cork float and panicked. Fortunately, whilst floundering, an instructor was on hand to drag me out. Since that day I have never attempted to swim again. Cruising or sailing ON water I thoroughly enjoy but not IN it. I always make a mental note of where life jackets are stored. 

• Sad 1

So if the motorists dont get you the water will, way to go Thailand, meanwhile 58 covid  deaths eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Here s a  simple thing we do in the real world, compulsory swimming lessons for  all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Jakrarin, who was not a strong swimmer, found himself in difficulty in deep water and disappeared. 

Police determined it was an accident.

An accident waiting to happen.. 

On 6/18/2020 at 5:45 AM, Darksidedude said:

First thing i did for my daughter is get her to learn to swim, it is a must for every parent to do this.

My granddaughter was put into swim school after she turned 3 years old.