Rural Mail Box Delivery

Saraburi121

Not a topic of great importance but after a beer (few) thought I would bring it up. 

We live out in the countryside where we get our mail delivered by motorcycle from the sub-post office.  Maybe a sub-sub post office.  Have some important mail coming occasionally and we live a good bit from the main post office, about 40 km.   Figured I would put up a nice big red mailbox with our address in big letters and the delivery man would get accustomed to it.  He didn't. After a year+ of having the mailbox it has been used just a few times. Getting quite dusty actually.  The times it was used the mail was not placed horizontally through the slot so it went in the box so it was protected from rain but vertical with half sticking out.  Sometimes I find the mail sticking in my gate which has a nice round metal loop which is not for mail, blowing down the road, at the store at the end of the road and sometimes a good soul who errantly received brings it to our house. Sometimes I find the village mail in my gate, no worries sorting out for me good to get about and chat.  The rained on mail is sometimes painful but is a nice challenge to dry out, practice my ironing. I wondered why the folks snickered when I put the mailbox up.  It does serve a purpose other than mail, good mark for Kerry delivery.  No other mailboxes around.

Talked to the sub-post office to no avail.  Talked to the delivery man, smelled a whiff of alcohol on him. He has an old worn out motorcycle he insisted that it would sometimes not make it up the big hill to our box and cost to much fuel to go up the hill. I asked is the problem with the motorcycle the driver and got a laugh in response.  Instead of complaining more I'm trying to think out a solution, maybe after 10 somewhat on time deliveries that make it in my box a beer reward?  Probably a lot of the same in rural areas, anyone come up with a creative solution? A lot of folks would complain and demand service but that doesn't work here.  Some of this post said in jest but just the way it is here and don't think it will change. 

Cheers all!

• Haha 1

Get yourself a PO Box number at the main post office, then have all your mail delivered there.

That's what I did when I moved out here permanently. Far less hassle than relying on a drunk motorcycle postal worker.

I live about 30km from the town and go there once or twice a week to check.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2020 at 3:57 PM, gaz2011 said:

Get yourself a PO Box number at the main post office, then have all your mail delivered there.

That's what I did when I moved out here permanently. Far less hassle than relying on a drunk motorcycle postal worker.

I live about 30km from the town and go there once or twice a week to check.

I started up here with mail delivered but it often got wet or fell on the ground.
Have had a PO box in the nearest town to me, its also available 7 days a week.

Did the same whichever country I lived when there was no home delivery available, ( even way back in early 70's in Paraguay ).  Poste Restante in a number of countries including one in Thailand.

Our postman fetches the mail from our sub office , 17 klms away and delivers it at the end of the month sometimes. Any promotional vouchers the wifey gets for that month are invalid in a day or Two.

He says he is too busy with his other job to deliver it every week.

Sometimes he subbies his job out to god knows who , and things just don't get here for 2 or 3 months.

We also have Two post boxes that never really get used , the mail gets slid under the garage door.

I might give that PO Box a try , see if that is any better.

Edited by NE1

This , the PO Box, sounds like a good idea for me,

I have almost zero mail from the USA since the 

start of this covid thing. 

I don't even get my monthly Thai bills anymore.

The other thing is address are screwed up over 

here. Installing a simple 911 system of address

would sure make finding things easier.

Now directions include things like nearest temple,

the 7-11 store, the big tree next to the second

curve in the road.

And once the change is made, there is no need

to worry about farther changes, it all fits together.

Edited by PatchinExPat
misspelling

9 hours ago, PatchinExPat said:

This , the PO Box, sounds like a good idea for me,

I have almost zero mail from the USA since the 

start of this covid thing. 

I don't even get my monthly Thai bills anymore.

The other thing is address are screwed up over 

here. Installing a simple 911 system of address

would sure make finding things easier.

Now directions include things like nearest temple,

the 7-11 store, the big tree next to the second

curve in the road.

And once the change is made, there is no need

to worry about farther changes, it all fits together.

The box I have accepts A4 size envelopes.
Generally if there is a package that is too big to fit in the box the PO leaves a note in your box to ask you to collect.
The PO Box address is fine with my bank and pension and even with solicitors.

Go for it ...

22 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

The box I have accepts A4 size envelopes.
Generally if there is a package that is too big to fit in the box the PO leaves a note in your box to ask you to collect.
The PO Box address is fine with my bank and pension and even with solicitors.

Go for it ...

Who do you bank with? My bank First Direct refuse to send to PO Boxes.

2 hours ago, gaz2011 said:

Who do you bank with? My bank First Direct refuse to send to PO Boxes.

Nationwide - UK.
They send all correspondence to this address, including my cards.
Only once have they queried a purchase by credit card and never small withdrawals by Debit card.
If I ever have cause to contact them online and wish for a response my email address is also Thai.

Have been with the same bank for years and spent most of that in other countries.

Perhaps someone who uses the same bank can advise you and you could contact the bank direct to sk for their reasons.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1