Udon Thani Cancer Hospital

RealityCheck

Hi Everyone.

Does anyone have any experience of the Udon Thani Cancer Hospital?

As soon as the airways open again, my partner and I plan to relocate to Thailand from the UK.

We will be spending roughly 50% or our time in Thailand and 50% in the UK over the next few years.

I'm currently being treated for bowel cancer in the UK, but will need an alternative solution for those times I need treatment in Thailand.

Any information would be useful.

Thanks.

You can't discuss with them through any media, does not work like that.  It is a government hospital. You'd have to go in person and be prepared for very little English being spoken, lots of red tape and crowds, and  very long waits. 

With these caveats, good treatment can be had provided the drugs you need are available in Thailand, some of the newer ones may not be. If you can describe your chemo regimen I can advise further.

With bowel cancer you will not be able to get private insurance so need to consider not just the costs of the cancer care but costs for any other medical care you night need that can't wait till you return to the UK -- accident, heart attack etc. Need to self-insure (savings on hand and immediately available) to the tune of not less than 1 million baht.

Thanks Sheryl.

Yes - the insurance thing is a pain, but self insuring won't be a major issue.

I'm currently part way through a 4 cycle course, each cycle being 1 x infusion of Irinotecan and 14 x days of Capecitabine tablets, followed by 1 week rest. Then CT & MRI scans to work out what to do next.

I'm hopeful that I can get full history docs from the NHS before I travel, so the Thai doctors will know situation.

I am also hopeful that I can coordinate most treatment to be carried out in the UK. I feel fine now so this seems doable but, of course, if things go down hill in the future, it may be more problematic.

Edited by RealityCheck

Both drugs are available here so no problem on that score.

As you know, no commercial international flights right now and also few foreigners allowed in. Currently only those with work permits, talk of letting spouses of Thais in soon but that's it so far. And mandatory supervised 14 day quarantine on arrival at foreigners expense.

I would caution against coming with a plan for part time in UK part time here until the COVID situation fully resolves as you may find yourself stuck and unable to travel. Also nto a good idea to be in a mandatory quarantine with underlying health issues..they will NOT let you out before the 14 days are up.

aren't you going to face unnecessary risks traveling internationally while having underlying health issues and a potentially compromised immune system? given the quality of care available in the uk wouldn't it be better to remain in the uk and complete your current treatment before traveling abroad?

Hi Samsensam

Yes - plan is to complete treatment in UK before travelling.

By the time we're ready to travel, immune system should also be back up to strength.

But I'm looking to the future with respect to organising treatment options in Thailand.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Both drugs are available here so no problem on that score.

As you know, no commercial international flights right now and also few foreigners allowed in. Currently only those with work permits, talk of letting spouses of Thais in soon but that's it so far. And mandatory supervised 14 day quarantine on arrival at foreigners expense.

I would caution against coming with a plan for part time in UK part time here until the COVID situation fully resolves as you may find yourself stuck and unable to travel. Also nto a good idea to be in a mandatory quarantine with underlying health issues..they will NOT let you out before the 14 days are up.

Hi Sheryl.

Agreed - there's loads to do before we travel, not least selling property in the UK.

I suspect we'll not want to travel until end first quarter next year, and only then if current Covid obstacles are removed and doctors  here are happy for me to travel.

Good news that both drugs I'm currently prescribed are available in Thailand.

It may be that, by the time we are ready to travel, we will have moved on to radiotherapy (currently an unknown).

Many factors contributed to decision to relocate to Thailand, amongst them... Imminent retirement,  a desire to have my partner close to family for support should the cancer defeat me completely, and so on.

5 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

Hi Samsensam

Yes - plan is to complete treatment in UK before travelling.

By the time we're ready to travel, immune system should also be back up to strength.

But I'm looking to the future with respect to organising treatment options in Thailand.

Try options in India (covid permitting)   few years ago enquired for AN Other   ..bowel cancer....one week on,one week off, over 2 months..excellent he stated,close by from BKK  2 hours from Calcutta,clean bright modern city

I should have been and returned recently for treatment  latest bladeless eye correction surgery three hundred 000 here, less than thirty 000 there

Have been many times ,really good try Practico or Medifee  for whatever you want