Rubber authority working on 'hats' to prevent latex damage during rains

Rubber authority working on 'hats' to prevent latex damage during rains

By THE NATION

800_526addcfdece523.jpg

The Rubber Authority of Thailand (RAOT) and partners are developing rubber "hats" to help increase rubber production and promote the industry.

Nakorn Takkawipat, deputy director general of the rubber authority, on Friday (June 19) presided over the MoU (memorandum of understanding) signng ceremony between the RAOT, Chitralada Technology Institute and PTT Plc for the joint development and production of rubber hats, an innovative apparatus to wrap around a rubber tree so as to prevent damage from rains and moisture and increase the volume of latex that can be gathered per harvesting season.

“This project is a joint effort between the three parties aiming to help increase rubber production of farmers in Rayong province,” he said. “The RAOT has submitted 2,000 sets of rubber hat prototypes to Chitralada Institute to test and improve the final product at a 30 rai demonstration plantation in Nawat Agricultural Learning Centre in Payubnai subdistrict, Wangchan district.”

b2d679eb7a8da47307ac0d9393c7a16c656749f371e3f303be8502ab2151fa8e.jpg

The project was conceived when the RAOT noticed that latex volumes during the rainy season are often lower than the annual average, as rains made some of the gathered latex unusable, while the normal countermeasures used by local farmers, such as covering the tree with plastic sheets, are not effective and some have to stop harvesting when it rains.

“The rubber hat that we make can effectively increase the days that farmers can harvest latex by 30 days on average per year and increase total production volume by 2kg per rai per day, or a total of 60kg per rai per year,” said Nakorn. “Each hat is made from 500 grams of rubber and therefore will give a boost to the local rubber processing industry and help alleviate the oversupply of rubber in domestic markets.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389991

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-21

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

help increase rubber production

There is already a massive oversupply,which is one of the reasons,prices are low,

and the tappers need Government support.

regards Worgeordie

The easiest and most effective solution is in place since years (see attachment), though not in Thailand. It also covers the coconut shell to prevent possible rain water. Using Velcro-Tape is recommended as they can adjust to various circumferences of the tree. Thailand probably needs an academic chair to come up with a working solution.

rainguard.jpg

Edited by fxe1200
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

The easiest and most effective solution is in place since years (see attachment), though not in Thailand. It also covers the coconut shell to prevent possible rain water. Using Velcro-Tape is recommended as they can adjust to various circumferences of the tree. Thailand probably needs an academic chair to come up with a working solution.

rainguard.jpg

Yes, invented elsewhere some years ago. This one I believe by a gentleman called Samuel Angove, a well known and respected expert on rubber and polymers. 

image.png

rubber from  trees?  I bet 80% of Americans do not know rubber comes from a tree.  I explored this agricultural phenomenon in Thailand and just standing around at a rubber drop-offs point I was offered to buy a rubber plantation.   I think many wish they didnt plant rubber trees during the fad.  so much work to harvest, during the night.   can you imagine this job.  I think teak or rosewood would have been a better strategy crop. 

I very much agree. Even palm oil, that much maligned product, is less arduous than rubber. To get up every midnight, and tap until 7 am, for often less than a dollar a kilo for rubber liquid is mind boggingly soul destroying. 

Edited by victorpeeke
Spelling errors