tips for buying my first bike?

brizz

Hey gang. I've been renting a variety of bikes recently, and I think I've finally decided on buying a Yamaha Aerox with ABS. I live in Bangkok, I have my Thai license, and I plan to use the bike to run errands and take short trips around the city with the missus. I want to buy new, rather than pre-owned. I've been in Thailand for about six years now, but this is my first big purchase like this. Back in the US, I could do my research online and get a good deal, but I'm having trouble wading through all the Thai websites here.

Should I just find the biggest Yamaha dealership near me and go in, or is there a less expensive option I should consider? I plan to pay in cash, in full, so I don't need financing. I also want helmets for me and my wife...is this something I can get the dealer to throw into the deal or should I go to a shop that specializes in helmets instead? Any gotchas I should be watching for?

I presume everything will be easier if I put this in my wife's name and let her handle the insurance, but I would appreciate any advice you guys want to offer about how to find a good dealer and how to get a smart deal. Thanks in advance.

Edited by brizz

Good choice! I've had an Aerox for 18 months and find it the ideal choice for a combination of around town and short distance trips (+ / - 50k). Any longer than 1 hour and my bum hurts!  Not so good if you're putting someone on the tiny high back seat, very uncomfortable (so I'm told). For the price, excellent bike.

Haggle and haggle again, visit different dealers and don't be afraid of walking away. It's a buyers market. Normally, the dealer will throw in a cr@ppy helmet or 3, to clinch the deal ask them for a full face Yamaha brand, on the shelf at around 2000B .... free.

Check online for class 1 insurance .... as above, around 5k. 

Put in your name .... as above. You never know, easier to sell it. 

Enjoy your ride!

• Like 1

Aerox is super value for your Baht.

Best buy helmet(s) @B1500 & up.

Gloves can really save the day too.

barked knuckles.jpg

Prolly all dealers are gonna charge the same.

Seven of one; half dozen of the other.

Buying cash, they don't like.

Profit is in financing.

Aerox is rarely stolen.

Thieves like PCX & Waves.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

No real discounts available, they usually thrown in a cheap helmet and a cheap jacket with their details emblazoned on the back. With that said, the Yamaha dealer nearest your house is the best option. Is a new model Aerox due for release??? If so something to look for and wait for the newer model available.

• Like 1

I have an Aerox ABS and love it. But my wife (40) isn't so keen sitting on the back because it's a bit racy for passengers. Make sure you keep her happy, and this might mean choosing another bike.

I paid 72k for mine, and they three in a cheap lid and a jacket I think. I paid for an extra/spare key, for 900B as was told that it's better and cheaper to do from the start than later.

I don't know about other discounts, but it's mid-year and of course Covid, so maybe they're keen to move stock. Both my bikes and my car are in my wife's name. It's easier for me not to get involved.

Get her on the back of an Aerox before you buy one, just to make sure she's ok on the back.

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do mine, 7,000kms in 16 months and still like new.

• Like 1

IMHO look for a good dealer near your home.

The dealer should be certified by the manufacturer. You should be able to see a list of such dealers on the bike manufacturer's website. I did that when I bought my little Suzuki and I trust "my" dealer.

If there are a couple of dealers around you visit them and look what your impression is.

It's obviously nice to save a couple of thousand THB. But I think it's more important to have reliable service around the corner. No hassle, no problem, no headache.

• Like 1

Buy at the nearest dealer or with the one with better service.

Prices will mostly be the same, unless it's second hand. 

In Bangkok, it could get so hot riding 40kph in traffic, so a decent half-face helmet is ideal. 

Anything faster or farther, you should get a full face helmet. 

Dealers' helmet are all <deleted>, get a decent one. Even local brands like REAL and Bilmola is okay. 

Helmet and gloves should be the minimum riding gear for me. 

• Like 1

Aerox is a good looking scooter. I prefer Honda PCX over Aerox. If you will pay all cash then negotiate the price. They will come down 1-2 thousand baht. You can buy good helmet from Lazada for decent price. Don't ask dealer for a helmet before you negotiate the cash price. Ask for 2 helmets after you agree on the cash price  then sell those helmets online for few hundred baht so good helmet you buy will be even cheaper for you.

The load carrying capabilities of a step through is a very valid point. However "comfort" is not, the straddle scooters and bikes win hands down for the rider, 50/50 for the pilion.

We have an old banger Click for carrying duties, Nmax for preference.

Next bike, hmmmmmm, choice between Xmax or retro/adventure "proper" bike...

• Like 2

Step-through consideration is a good point for mainly in town ride as mentioned...

But for a bit more comfortable and out of town ride,  and specially two up , I recommend a 1 or 2 year old used NMax with one farang owner from new.

You never grow out of it and ideal for a heavy/large farang who ride a lot with wife at the back. Price about the same...

Keep title in your name, wife can still tax and insure without you,  as mentioned sells better later on...

• Like 1

I agree, have a look at the Lexi from Yamaha. Your wife will love it more then the Aerox. Also, easier to put a shopping bag in front between your legs. The Lexi, i think, is called Nmax 125 in Europe, try it out. Since you go to Yamaha anyway.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Madgee said:

Good choice! I've had an Aerox for 18 months and find it the ideal choice for a combination of around town and short distance trips (+ / - 50k). Any longer than 1 hour and my bum hurts!  Not so good if you're putting someone on the tiny high back seat, very uncomfortable (so I'm told). For the price, excellent bike.

Haggle and haggle again, visit different dealers and don't be afraid of walking away. It's a buyers market. Normally, the dealer will throw in a cr@ppy helmet or 3, to clinch the deal ask them for a full face Yamaha brand, on the shelf at around 2000B .... free.

Check online for class 1 insurance .... as above, around 5k. 

Put in your name .... as above. You never know, easier to sell it. 

Enjoy your ride!

OK if I butt in here, are there any insurance companies that do not stop your 1st class insurance

after the bike is 5 years old?

16 hours ago, 2long said:

I have an Aerox ABS and love it. But my wife (40) isn't so keen sitting on the back because it's a bit racy for passengers. Make sure you keep her happy, and this might mean choosing another bike.

I paid 72k for mine, and they three in a cheap lid and a jacket I think. I paid for an extra/spare key, for 900B as was told that it's better and cheaper to do from the start than later.

I don't know about other discounts, but it's mid-year and of course Covid, so maybe they're keen to move stock. Both my bikes and my car are in my wife's name. It's easier for me not to get involved.

Get her on the back of an Aerox before you buy one, just to make sure she's ok on the back.

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do mine, 7,000kms in 16 months and still like new.

900 Bt for a spare key?? I have had a spare key cut for my Honda Forza for around 200Bt.

We drove an Nmax 155 for several years. My wife drove it at the end for a year before we sold it, since i moved up to a 300cc scooter. I forgot, since you need ABS, not sure if the Lexi offers it. 

I would put it in wifes name, is easier, you dont need residence certificate then. Also the insurance, compulsary, could be enough on a small scooter.

17 hours ago, papa al said:

Aerox is super value for your Baht.

Best buy helmet(s) @B1500 & up.

Gloves can really save the day too.

barked knuckles.jpg

Prolly all dealers are gonna charge the same.

Seven of one; half dozen of the other.

Buying cash, they don't like.

Profit is in financing.

Aerox is rarely stolen.

Thieves like PCX & Waves.

1500 baht but for a helmet? Index is a very popular brand and of good quality. You can buy them in any mc shop or online = Lazada from ~500 baht and up depending on model. 

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

1500 baht but for a helmet? Index is a very popular brand and of good quality. You can buy them in any mc shop or online = Lazada from ~500 baht and up depending on model. 

You seem to be the only person who has ever said Index helmets are good quality

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

OK if I butt in here, are there any insurance companies that do not stop your 1st class insurance

after the bike is 5 years old?

When i looked the main players stopped after 3 years, so i lost interest in first class. Second class was a similar price also

The aerox is a comfy bike. I own a 2019 150 Honda click n I made a mistake in buying! If I had my time over I’d have bought the Yamaha.
Yamaha much better suspension, seat way more comfy when riding for an hour or more. Power Is comparable to 150 click.

I tested the Honda ADV and it’s a really nice bike in all respects than either the click or the aerox. Much superior to for ride, options, seating, feat positioning, balance is very good, brakes excellent, throttle control much smoother than any scooter I’ve ridden except my beautiful Vespa 250 Gts ie in Aussie.

if you wanna pm me please do and I can direct you to a demo model seller I bought my bike from - excellent motors! Mine was new and had 1500 kms on it and a few tiny marks otherwise brand new.

i saved 30K buying from this very reputable place ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

When i looked the main players stopped after 3 years, so i lost interest in first class. Second class was a similar price also

Thanks, typical of insurance companies, the same price for a lot less cover.

In my opinion if you are riding for more than 30 minutes, get a car

Bikes are far too dangerous, and a wee bot hotter, zero protection from Pick-up trucks, and due too hot climate nobody wears proper PPE, seriously consider a car, motorbikes become mosquitoes, you just squash them or flick them away

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

About the helmet: I don't know if you can store the helmet inside the bike you like.

It's obviously good to have a very good = expensive helmet. But I guess with expensive helmets you always have to lock them to make sure nobody takes them away.

I have a helmet in the 2000 THB range. It does the job and I can leave it on my bike without locking it and it does not get stolen. I like that, no hassle.

2000  baht, i wouldnt  rely  on  that  protecting  much,  my  last  one  was 18.5k, decent  brand  here https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=shark++helmet&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.pdp.search.go.7fe874463QrPOV

Edited by bodga

34 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've never found one that will give first class insurance on a small value bike.