Back to Thailand-Covid Insurance/Flights?

We are a pair of Brits (1 with WP, one with Retirement Visa) currently stranded in the UK. Read and understood all latest posts on the "Returning to Thailand" subject. Been in touch with the Thai Embassy, London and have their list of requirements:-

"What you need to submit to the Embassy to apply for the certificate of entry to Thailand :
- Your passport copy
- A copy of your Thai visa (if already expired, you have to apply for a new one)
- A copy of your work permit (even if it is already expired, which you have to extend in Thailand), or a copy of letter of permission to work in Thailand from a Thai government agency
- A copy of letter from your employer (or yourself if you own a company) that you need to return to work in Thailand
- Declaration form (as attached), duly completed and signed
- A copy of your health insurance policy with coverage including COVID-related treatment in Thailand in the amount no less than 100,000 USD (or a company letter certifying that they will pay for your medical expenses including COVID-19"
Starting the process and hoping I will be allowed to join my WP holding wife with my RV. If you don't ask right?

Does anyone have FIRST HAND knowledge of companies offering the required insurance (stipulating Covid)? Preferably in the UK but any leads appreciated. Also, does anyone know what period the authorities are requiring the insurance should cover (travel only, quarantine, length of visa)?

Regarding flights, does anyone know of WP holders who have returned via the repatriation flights to date? How did they arrange this? I am presuming this is offered by the Embassy once permission to return is granted as there are no other passenger flights.

Any information from those who are, or have gone through the process is much appreciated. Thanks.
Hoping anyone who wants to get back gets their wish asap.

• Like 2

My travel insurance just e-mailed a couple of days ago, saying they have included covid risks, but it was clear that until the UK FCO advice changes on all but essential travel, the insurance was not effective. Over and above anything at the Thailand end. ????

If you have been "stranded" in the ?UK for a while, that may rule out Thai insurance, with their "must be be in Thailand for 6 months", T&C small print. 

Sorry for no positive contribution....

Edited by UKresonant

It all seems a bit limbo ish.  I'm travelling out of Ireland in early August (I hope).  My employer emailed this morning asking for details of which Embassy to write to for a WP (this will be at least the 4th time I have supplied this info).

I'm still waiting for the FCO here in UK to legalise my docs as they weren't sure that my solicitor was a solicitor it would seem. 

Thats before I send docs to the Embassy (which is currently shut) so they can also legalise them!

There has been no mention of extra insurance nor me having to pay for quarantine.

Is it always this complicated?

9 hours ago, bellboy said:

You could give saga a try. I got a annual insurance . valid Dec19-Dec 20

Paid £125- In march they sent me an email asking if i want to upgrade to cover covid 19. Cost £ 75.00 .

At that price how long can you stay out side UK? In one trip? 

On 6/22/2020 at 10:13 AM, SVC Porter said:

Is it always this complicated?

I'm outside trying to get in, and have lived in Thailand for approx 25 years........YES, it's always this complicated. I can't see myself getting back in before next year.

• Like 2

I have global coverage with CIGNA using their office in Dubai. Their main office for expats seeking Global coverage, including Thailand is in Scotland. They recently issued me a separate letter confirming that based on my policy, that I have coverage for any issues related to Covid19. 

Having lived in Thailand for over the past 20 yrs..... I’m also locked-out.

I find myself currently stuck in Abu Dhabi. Even though I own my own home in Phuket with a Yellow Book Tambian Baan, Thai I.D. Pink Card and a recently issued (Oct 2019) 10 yr O-X Retirement Visa, can I get home....??? No. Maybe in October. 

Edited by verticalift
Typo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bellboy said:

You could give saga a try. I got a annual insurance . valid Dec19-Dec 20

Paid £125- In march they sent me an email asking if i want to upgrade to cover covid 19. Cost £ 75.00 .

But you bought it before Covid.

My insurance told me in March that they cover Covid if the policy was purchased before March 25. 

I guess it will be hard to find a company now.

5 hours ago, verticalift said:

I have global coverage with CIGNA using their office in Dubai. Their main office for expats seeking Global coverage, including Thailand is in Scotland. They recently issued me a separate letter confirming that based on my policy, that I have coverage for any issues related to Covid19. 

I find myself currently stuck in Abu Dhabi. Even though I own my own home in Phuket with a Yellow Book Tambian Baan, Thai I.D. Pink Card and a recently issued (Oct 2019) 10 yr O-X Retirement Visa, can I get home....??? No. Maybe in October. 

Im in the same boat as you.Even with a legal daughter.We can only hope for soon but not too soon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ross163103 said:

I'm outside trying to get in, and have lived in Thailand for approx 25 years........YES, it's always this complicated. I can't see myself getting back in before next year.

Excuse me, but what has been complicated the last 25 years? Please tell. This is your first pandemic incl. an Emergency decree in Thailand. That's the only reason it's complicated. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, verticalift said:

Which particular package (silver/gold/platinum) do you have with CIGNA? I'm looking to get a new policy and this might work if it also has Covid coverage. 

My understanding is that insurance is invalid until the FCO advice changed if bought in UK. But it is now just started to be sold again. I have a feeling the advice may change around 15th July. 

If you are an ex pat or Thai resident then you can purchase cover from a Thai company. I think AXA Thailand do it. 

10 hours ago, Matzzon said:
23 hours ago, Letseng said:

But you bought it before Covid

How can they have a cover for something that do not exist?

Thats the whole point of insurance - to provide cover for the unforeseeable.

Covid-19 is a respiratory disease - Unless there are specific exclusions for an epidemic / pandemic written into the Policy there will be cover for Covid-19.

Most health Insurance covers Covid-19.

Most Travel Insurance if taken out after the onset of Covid-19 does not. 

• Like 1

I have written to the Thai Embassy in the UK for conformation of the requirements: 

Of course, there has been no reply so far - I’m not holding my breath to be honest. 

Here is what I believe is necessary (for entry as a Foreign spouse)

1) The Application is by e-mail to the Embassy in your own country. 

2) Provide the following documents with the initial e-mail application.

- Scanned copy of your Passport (ID Page and Visa Page)

- Scanned copy of your Marriage Certificate 

- (If you have it) Scanned Copy of Your Yellow House Book / Pink ID Card (perhaps not really necessary)

- Proof of Insurance covering Covid-19 up to US$100,000 (i.e. a Health Insurance plan - which includes a letter stipulating covid cover)

3) E-mail the Thai Embassy in your Country and ask to be placed in the queue for repatriation flights: 

4) I believe Repatriation flights are with Thai Airways only (at the moment)

5) When a repatriation flight becomes available you will receive an e-mail / phone call from the Thai Embassy asking if you can take that specific flight. You will have to agree or defer until next time (I’m not sure how this would impact your position in the queue)

6) When you accept the flight you will be given a ‘reference number’ and will have to Call Thai Airways and pay for your flight. 

7) Within 3 days of your flight departure you will have to get a ‘Fit to Fly letter’ from your GP, you can also use an online Dr Service for this - you will have to present this at Check-In (there may be representatives from the Thai Embassy at Check-in checking this stuff)

8 ) Within 3 days of your flight departure you will have to Take a Covid-19 test and have a Covid-19 free certificate -you will have to present this at Check-In (there may be representatives from the Thai Embassy at Check-in checking this stuff)

9) Foreigners cannot get the ‘free state quarantine’ and have to go the additional quarantine facilities which are paid for. I’m not sure if this will be allocated or if you can choose yourself - You will ‘bussed’ to your quarantine. 

This is all a guess of course - but its the only way I can see all this working given the information so far.