Hoteliers push back at Thailand’s shift to target high-end tourists

webfact

16 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

That’s a very interesting point - Thail people genuinely believe that Thailand is the best place in the world and they are the best people: all ideas are created there, all the best inventions, they were never colonized because of their power (not because of their geographical location or the fact the then rulers just allowed the British and French in to take what they wanted)

very proud nation, but very misguided. 

I suspect it's their education system? Apart from the pure science subjects many of the social sciences are eschewed, eg. history.

I've met many Thais that believe Colgate toothpaste is Thai owned. Or that 7-11 is a Thai company.

Their whole modern social structure from TV shows, movies, music, shopping malls, etc. is borrowed or copied from the West but many believe they were all created in Thailand?

It's sad really. Like Plato's Allegory of the cave.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thomas J said:

High end tourists go to places like Hawaii and Monaco.  They don't come to visit Pattaya or Chiang Mai.  While some well heeled tourists might visit it certainly won't be an every year experience and in no way could it make up for the unused hotel, restaurant, and tourist attractions that need large numbers of people to run a profitable business.  

Wrong! Ask in the 5* hotels in Chiang Mai who rents the expensive suites. And Thailand is for many Chinese easy and quick to reach for a long weekend trip opposite Monaco and Hawaii. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

They could pump the sewage to the top of The Waterfront Suites and Residence and let it cascade down from floor to floor.  Hiso Falls.

As long there is a disclaimer that it is NOT a chocolate fountain..no swimming in Hiso Falls...Selfies 300bt

On 6/24/2020 at 1:01 AM, TTSIssues said:

That’s a very interesting point - Thail people genuinely believe that Thailand is the best place in the world and they are the best people: all ideas are created there, all the best inventions, they were never colonized because of their power (not because of their geographical location or the fact the then rulers just allowed the British and French in to take what they wanted)

very proud nation, but very misguided. 

never colonised?what about japan in ww2?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garyk said:

Thailand is a cheap cheap place to live and visit, it has never been known for high end tourists. 

I have know a few in Pattaya but very few. Thailand is for backpackers, expats(not so much now), 30 day tourists (China, India) cheap tours.

Just a cheap pace to visit. Which makes it attractive to the masses. 

It used to be a pretty nice place to live and knock around before all the silly rules.. 

yes please barman,i,ll have a pint of whatever garyk,s been drinking.

Edited by kingdong

On 6/24/2020 at 7:10 AM, OneeyedJohn said:

Where I live is a popular destination for travellers, for the climate, fantastic temples, hill tribe people etc etc, and we have 300 baht guesthouses up to 5000 baht a night hotels like Le Meridien and Dusit Thani, but it doesn't necessarily follow the quality of the Le Meridien visitors is any better than the people staying in a guest house.

At least I see no evidence of it when I am out and about.

300 bhat guest house try 150 or 200 packed into a dorm.. Difference in quality I guess you have not stayed in either of your targets. judgeing the quality of your guest is a very subjective quality. If I had my druthers I would be in the La Meridien.

funny years ago us Aussies used to think all poms were high rollers because of the way they talk, money was not included, now even the biggest crim is considered a high roller if he-she has money like politicians

2 hours ago, kingdong said:

yes please barman,i,ll have a pint of whatever garyk,s been drinking.

Curious what you mean?  Do you think Thailand is expensive?

I don't drink by the way. Never have.  So what is your point if you have one?

There exists hot spots for the wealthy in Thailand mainly in the larger cities and Phuket.  However, the market is quite limited as the wealthy who have other choices must overlook the environmental pollution in Thailand as well as the infrastructure and the anti foreigner sentiment of the government so many will simply to other countries and cities.

The wealthy Chinese will either stay at home and work to make more money or go to Singapore or America or Europe they have little desire to sit on Thailand's beaches and be bitten by a rabid dog or step on a broken bottle.

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

There exists hot spots for the wealthy in Thailand mainly in the larger cities and Phuket.  However, the market is quite limited as the wealthy who have other choices must overlook the environmental pollution in Thailand as well as the infrastructure and the anti foreigner sentiment of the government so many will simply to other countries and cities.

The wealthy Chinese will either stay at home and work to make more money or go to Singapore or America or Europe they have little desire to sit on Thailand's beaches and be bitten by a rabid dog or step on a broken bottle.

Correct

• Haha 1

The Tourism Minister chappie was quoted today, in "the other paper" as saying:" full and free travel should become a thing of the past.”

Perhaps he does not understand, but no tourists, High end or bottom end, are going to bother coming if "full and free travel should become a “thing of the past.” It really is as simple as that,

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shy coconut said:

The Mauritian lady I was married to was completely bonkers, as was her entire family.

The area where her family originated, close to flic en flac was far more edgy than 

anywhere I have been in Thailand and it was not advisable to go out at night.

There are big drug problems on the island among the young and raging alcoholism

among the older. A lot of men went to Perth in  WA and formed gangs and have

brought that culture back home.

Like Thailand, if you lock yourself away in a gated community away from all the 

riff raft, then it is indeed a luxurious retreat and the 5 star resorts are incredible.

Also the Chinese influence/control is on the same level as Thailand, they see it

as a strategic post in the Indian Ocean and have poured billions into the place.

It's a great destination for a holiday, lovely for honeymooners, but I personally

couldn't live there.

I'm not saying Thailand is better, my rose tinted specs don't hide everything, but

given the choice I would take Thailand every time.

Hi Shy.....yep. Flic en Flac is for sure a place where, if you like, decent Mauritians do not go. The north coast from Flic en Flac is rough, and don't go to Roches Bois! 

But all the east coast, the south and South West are lovely and safer. We will base in Tamarin. You also have Riviere Noire, Trou aux Biches, Mom Choisy, etc which are all lovely places to stay or visit. I am not a fan of Grande Baie....just a day visit. 

I have had, touch wood, no issues in many stays there. 

They haven't to my knowledge headed to the Chinese for support. The port is being aided by Saudi. Chinese, thankfully, tourists have more than halved due to lack of flights. Long may this continue. More middle eastern tourists are arriving now, who spend huge sums. 

Crime in Mauritius is low and mostly petty theft. Violent or gun crime is extremely rare. In Thailand it is a daily occurrence. 

Edited by harleyclarkey

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

I often wonder what the mental image of a 'high-end' tourist is.

Usually very different from what we imagine. Usually very discreet and not bling bling at all. Had a multi millionaire friend of Maggie Thatcher years back , from the laid back way he and wife and kids dressed, you’d never know it. 2 yachts, a mansion here and there etc. Abramovitch is the same, nice normal looking man. Most high class hotels are discreet places where you can swim and eat away from the paparazzi. Then of course you have the party goers who have money and drink hundreds of bottles of champagne in the exclusive clubs. One Russian family has recently taken over a closed 5 star hotel here ( closed for Covid reasons) for him and his family to holiday .  Discreet. 

24 minutes ago, geisha said:

Usually very different from what we imagine. Usually very discreet and not bling bling at all. Had a multi millionaire friend of Maggie Thatcher years back , from the laid back way he and wife and kids dressed, you’d never know it. 2 yachts, a mansion here and there etc. Abramovitch is the same, nice normal looking man. Most high class hotels are discreet places where you can swim and eat away from the paparazzi. Then of course you have the party goers who have money and drink hundreds of bottles of champagne in the exclusive clubs. One Russian family has recently taken over a closed 5 star hotel here ( closed for Covid reasons) for him and his family to holiday .  Discreet. 

I don't think that image is really what they have in mind here.

I have a friend in UK who has a couple of factories and his usual dress style is jeans/trainers/Tshirt etc when he goes for a beer. That is not the Thai idea of 'high-end'. If they saw him driving his Bentley they would assume he was a driver for someone.

I'm looking for the Thai image of 'high-end' tourists.

Thailand's definition of what a high end tourist probably differs from the rest of the world.

If it involves going to a restaurant and being showy, shouting, and loud ordering lots of food then that's a high end tourist.  I don't know a western version of a high end tourist that would consider that high end behaviour.  

This high end catch phrase is really catchy.  

39 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I don't think that image is really what they have in mind here.

I have a friend in UK who has a couple of factories and his usual dress style is jeans/trainers/Tshirt etc when he goes for a beer. That is not the Thai idea of 'high-end'. If they saw him driving his Bentley they would assume he was a driver for someone.

I'm looking for the Thai image of 'high-end' tourists.

I remember Thailand Elite advertising some sort of limo thing with a pair in full suit & dress getup stepping outside to .. Chinatown. Fits real nice with the rats going around your feet.

I'm a member of theirs now and I usually sport worn out cargo shorts and where possible no shirt. 

Reality vs dreams.