Hoteliers push back at Thailand’s shift to target high-end tourists

webfact

Seems like there are two dyamics here:

1. Thailand is trying to shed its image as a place to visit for seedy nightlife loaded with prostitutes.

2. Thailand's ecnonoy is too dependent on tourism and there are too many eggs in the tourist economy basket. 

This 2020 virus pandemic has revealed countries' vulnerabilities in their policial systems and economies. When everything was put on hold during the lockdown, it enabled governments to pause and undergo self-analysis of country, economy and culture. The success of Thailand's management of the pandemic certainly must serve as a confidence booster. Especially in light of the fact the US, a country Thailand is often forced to venerate and accomodate has handled the pandemic relatively poorly. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

How about this plan: be happy with any tourist that wants to1 come. Give each and every one the best experience possible and hope next year round more want to come.

Behave yourself Bob..... talking common sense like that will get you ba***** (or even worse????)

• Haha 1

Selling/leasing my lovely little Resort on the beautiful Koh Samui is getting closer and closer with this incompetant Government in charge who don't know squidge about business, unless it is benefiting them!

Edited by robertson468

Didn't read every post, but how do they define high end. What is the criteria. Must stay at only 4 or 5 star hotels, or must have business class boarding pass, must prove wealth in some way. Maybe something like the Thai elite card of the past. Just wondering how they expect people to qualify as high end.

56 minutes ago, Expat Tom said:

It's a moot point. What tourists??? There aren't any. The Chinese aren't coming. Ask anyone in China if they are traveling abroad this you. The answer is NO!

How many Chinese in China did you ask? The last poll I saw some weeks ago said that Chinese are very willing to travel and Thailand is one of their favorite places.

• Like 1

What a total idiot.  No, it is not 'great', as he says, to turn away from mass tourism.  A country like Thailand that depends on tourism for possibly 20% of its income needs mass tourism. I don't know of any large country that is equally dependent on tourism being able to sustain its tourism industry solely on wealthy travelers--and, certainly Thailand can't.  Thailand must have a wide variety of tourists to sustain the wide variety of tourist businesses it has.  This is not brain surgery, guy.  That doesn't mean that mass tourism can't be managed better--it can and should be.  By the way, if you really want to 'push back', start by pushing back on the illegal daily condo rentals that are stealing your hotel business.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

?

Normally really try not to be bothered, or even hear the numerous moronic 'plans' or statements senior people in this country make, esp in various levels of government. If stop and think about those like now, make me feel like trying to understand some very complicated mathematical theory that goes beyond my comprehension. Trying to understand the incomprehensible. 

Guess the only thing worth trying to understand is how come so many people in this country in responsible positions are like they are. Or better than even that is try not to hear or bother of any of these idiotic 'plans' and focus on ones' own life - that regardless of all that <deleted> is pretty good here, esp if can keep eyes and ears closd for the <deleted>.

Amazing Thailand. 

Edited by mran66

In my years here, I've seen and read a multitude of government/TAT announcements relating to which country/countries they were going to appeal to for tourism... The list is long and illustrious.

Can't ever remember them saying they were going to appeal to Americans, Brits, Aussies, etc.... But other than those, almost everyone under the sun -- Chinese, Japanese and Koreans, SE Asians, Russians, countries from the former Soviet Union, Indians, etc etc...

I think, they'll go pretty much wherever they think there's money and a market to be found -- except for white westerners... That market is pretty much off-limits, so it would seem.

But in the end, all of their pronouncements never seemed to amount to much or make any big difference in how things go here -- except for the continuing and growing Chinese influence in the country.

• Like 1

Well...Thailand has a bunch of excellent 5star- hotels in all destinations and when those hotels take care of "their" beaches, going on holiday there is a nice and absolutely "High class" experience!

But that is not the point!

Typically, "hi- so"- tourists check into their hotel and that IS IT!

They dine in the his so- hotel restaurants, make "his so"- hotel arranged trips and relax in the "hi so"- hotel owned spas!

The "low so" or middle class tourists are the ones, who are bringing money to the local restaurants or streetfood vendors, they book with the "normal" tour agents and they take a massage on the beach!

They may not be "luxury" and "high class", but they are the backbone of tourism!

Working for a tourism company, OF COURSE I would love to sell to luxury- tourists.

But I tend not to only think about myself, but also about the people in the country, I work and live in!

Something, the Thai- government is obviously not doing! 

• Like 2