Hoteliers push back at Thailand’s shift to target high-end tourists

webfact

The thinking of the wealthy the world over is distanced from the reality of the masses of the population. Figure the wealthy will make up for the spending of the working middle class open to visiting Thailand. OK, I recognize it your country to do with as you please. As in the case of this kind of thinking in my own country 555.

7 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

That’s a very interesting point - Thail people genuinely believe that Thailand is the best place in the world and they are the best people: all ideas are created there, all the best inventions, they were never colonized because of their power (not because of their geographical location or the fact the then rulers just allowed the British and French in to take what they wanted)

very proud nation, but very misguided. 

They were never colonised because they’ve never fought anyone, just waited to see which side was winning then joined that side. Biggest cowards on the planet and it still holds today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I don't blame them. It's all 'hi-so'/army claptrap. There's always been this thing with Thailand and 'high end' visitors, typically through gov mouthpieces who don't even know what one is. Bottom line: they ain't coming and never will en-masse. Stop snubbing your bread n butter faithful backpackers and standard tourists. Your country needs NORMAL people to visit to satiate the economy + you ain't got the infrastructure for the toffs. Where's Thanatorn! :crying:

They arrived at gun point and will leave in coffins once the country has been sucked dry. I wonder where will they retire to. 

8 hours ago, BestB said:

Coming out on top with the whole covid thing has gotten into generals head that Thailand is superior in all aspects and he already said so.

In that respect it would mean that Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia and Myanmar are all high-so destinations 

5 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Vietnam will be very happy to hear of this mess of a governments plan for hiso tourism ????

They were already starting to overtake LOS, and probably will continue to do so 

• Like 2

High end tourists?  Really? And with an overpriced Baht, one could argue any one time high end tourist will feel more like a middle class tourist, once they exchange currencies and gaze at Thai pricing.

1 hour ago, Caine said:

They were never colonised because they’ve never fought anyone, just waited to see which side was winning then joined that side. Biggest cowards on the planet and it still holds today.

They sided with the US and let the enemy Japan build a railway though there country ????????????. Prostitutes 

One in the hand is better than two in the bush. Besides, high end tourism actually generates very little overall revenue. Most of the high end folks I know visit Thailand for the bohemian lifestyle. If they genuinely want to be pampered, they go to the Seychelles or the Maldives. 

11 hours ago, TTSIssues said:

That’s a very interesting point - Thail people genuinely believe that Thailand is the best place in the world and they are the best people: all ideas are created there, all the best inventions, they were never colonized because of their power (not because of their geographical location or the fact the then rulers just allowed the British and French in to take what they wanted)

very proud nation, but very misguided. 

Well, the Japanese weren't here in WW2 about the expansion of Toyota factory capacity neither...

But the story of never been colonized plays real good with the nationalistic/xenophobic agenda, so why change to facts?

A few years ago Brit Air stripped cattle

seats out and went for 1st class toffs.

Not long after the cattle seats were back.

Aint gonna work for Thailand either.

Bit short on kudos, glamour, opulence,

lavishness, and political stability.

• Like 1

Thailand can't survive only by elite tourism I know that many would like it especially to those that had responded to the survey. But those geniuses should understand that if the audience of the unemployed increases, they too will be negatively involved even if their business has nothing to do with the tourism industry. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tingtong said:

Well, the Japanese weren't here in WW2 about the expansion of Toyota factory capacity neither...

But the story of never been colonized plays real good with the nationalistic/xenophobic agenda, so why change to facts?

Being colonised and being occupied are different. Thailand was occupied by the Japanese.

• Like 2

I am really confused now. Only rich people seems to exclude most Chinese tourists who tend to be cheap visitors. So, Thailand, rich hisos or cheap Chinese, which is it?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Waiting for the raw sewage into pattaya beach pic....aka Hiso Waterfall!!   200 bt!

They could pump the sewage to the top of The Waterfront Suites and Residence and let it cascade down from floor to floor.  Hiso Falls.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Just savour the fact that there are no Chinese by the bus load at the moment.  But, by Christmas they will be back...maybe in lower overall numbers but still by the bus load!  

Are you saying they will get smaller buses?

5 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

A prime example of an island which long ago targeted upmarket tourists is.....Mauritius. Sure there are some hostels and budget accommodation but it is mainly top end 5 star, and more in the private villas attached to the resorts, luxury hotels and resorts. I have rarely seen backpackers.

Mauritius is very laid back with genuinely friendly people and the local cops will actually be friendly and help you.

A lovely island where I am going to put my feet on the beautiful beaches. Residency for retirees is a cinch and can be granted within three days....yes three days. It is certainly not as lively, lady wise, as Thailand, but it suits me now in my advancing age with my absolutely wonderful Mauritian partner. Mauritian women are like chalk to cheese over the Thai women that many foreigners come into contact with.....genuine Thai wives/partners of course excluded! 

My time living on Phuket are over. I just can't cope with all the constant hassle and looking over your shoulder any more. A racist government, total lack of police and legal security and corruption beyond the norm now. 

I had such a great time travelling Thailand from corner to corner 35 years ago. A true paradise then. Lot's of you here will remember what a stunning, friendly laid back country it was then. Alas no longer......????

The Mauritian lady I was married to was completely bonkers, as was her entire family.

The area where her family originated, close to flic en flac was far more edgy than 

anywhere I have been in Thailand and it was not advisable to go out at night.

There are big drug problems on the island among the young and raging alcoholism

among the older. A lot of men went to Perth in  WA and formed gangs and have

brought that culture back home.

Like Thailand, if you lock yourself away in a gated community away from all the 

riff raft, then it is indeed a luxurious retreat and the 5 star resorts are incredible.

Also the Chinese influence/control is on the same level as Thailand, they see it

as a strategic post in the Indian Ocean and have poured billions into the place.

It's a great destination for a holiday, lovely for honeymooners, but I personally

couldn't live there.

I'm not saying Thailand is better, my rose tinted specs don't hide everything, but

given the choice I would take Thailand every time.