Man allegedly shoots at ex-wife’s house out of anger over loss of bride price

webfact

Man allegedly shoots at ex-wife’s house out of anger over loss of bride price

By The Nation

800_50c4873fcc7f224.jpg?v=1592987495

A Nong Bua Lamphu-native, angered by his ex-wife’s refusal to return the Bt10,000 dowry he paid to marry her, is suspected of shooting at his ex-wife’s house on Tuesday (June 23). 

Pomruethai Harakhono, 33, told police that her ex-husband, whom she had divorced two years ago, had shown up at her house on Tuesday morning demanding that she give him the money.

However, she said she refused because she had used up the cash and also because she was married to another man.

Then her ex-husband allegedly tried to strangle her but was stopped by neighbours. He then left and showed up again in the evening, she said, adding that a gunshot was heard after he was turned away and a bullet went through the wall, terrifying her family members. 

Nobody was injured. Police have collected the bullet as evidence and are tracking down Pomruethai’s ex-husband who is the top suspect.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390216

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-24

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, webfact said:

Pomruethai Harakhono, 33, told police that her ex-husband, whom she had divorced two years ago, had shown up at her house on Tuesday morning demanding that she give him the money.

Reminds me of 'Only Fools and Horses' 'no money back, no guarantee'.... 'god bless Hooky Street, viva Hooky Sreet'.

30 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Obviously did not think he got his moneys worth of pleasure during the marriage.

Bride price though, no wonder some men think they "own" their spouse.

Quite a lot of guys (foreigners too) think that by paying a woman money. Either by taking care of her or a sin sod guarantees loyalty. It does not. Its not always the guys fault but a lot of those guys treat their wives badly and then wonder why they cheat and break up. 

Also if you have a wife and cant communicate with her do you really think its the basis or a good relation. Lack of talking understanding can lead to cheating and failed marriages too. (been there before myself)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maprao said:

All people paying 1  to 2 million million sin sod  for their university educated farmer take note.

Exactly - like most Thai women - my wife had  a history before we met,  and she actually IS a university educated woman, a teacher and as she has lots of land employing people a farmer too.

My sinsod came to the princely price of zero

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Exactly - like most Thai women - my wife had  a history before we met,  and she actually IS a university educated woman, a teacher and as she has lots of land employing people a farmer too.

My sinsod came to the princely price of zero

exactly @RichardColeman

You are confirming what I stated.

Most people I know paid silly amounts. I belong to the zero club also. Although she has done rather well in the 20 years we've been together. But we "earnt" that together living and working in some pretty harsh environments.

11 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Even I know that there's a no refund policy with the ex...in fact, it's universal!!

And futur monthly payments ????

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I remember a young Thai girl aged 25 living near me, she had a young son aged 2, the b/f was the usual loser and disappeared when she was pregnant.

A German had come to live in the area, he was a teacher and struck up a friendship with her..

She thought her luck was in and took him to meet the prospective in-laws, they agreed that he could continue seeing her as long as he "put gold on her finger" paid her a monthly sum of 20,000 baht and married with a dowry of one million baht !!

He did the sums and one day asked me as we spoke sometimes if this was normal... 

we had a chat about things and declined her offer !

How old was the German?    

When I married my Thai missus exactly 20 years ago, I was near flat broke, but had just been granted my army Officers' pension, so I knew I was OK. I bought a 100cc Honda Dream with the last of my ready cash and rented a townhouse for us. The subject of sinsod came up (my wife was a rather plain, single 27 y.o. "factory sealed unit")  and had never had any boyfriend. I was lucky - she could not speak much English back then, but I was pretty sound in all three dialects of Thai, thanks in part to having worked for four years in the early 90's with the Thai army, as an exchange Officer. She was 28, me 48. She said that she could come up with the 50K baht that she had saved in working for 14 years (that her family knew zilch about), plus 'borrow' a gold chain and cash to make up 100K from her "hiso" friend, which is exactly what we did. All 'face'. Mrs "hiso" got her gold and cash back the same day as the party. Mrs P put hers back in the bank. Been to numerous 'weddings' since, where often well-meaning foreigners have tipped up thousands of $. Twenty years on, her "hiso" friend still has no idea of just how wealthy we have become, plus the missus just got her Oz citizenship but has not even told her family or friends. She likes it that way. I've seen some huge sinsods paid for very, nasty 'damaged' goods, by the way. It's minefield for the unwary out there in LOS, but not for all, as I've noted from several other posts on this subject.

• Like 1