Driving In Thailand

jayenram

I'm currently attempting to formulate a guide to driving in Thailand. The guide will be based upon the "Highway Code" and the way that Thai drivers actually drive in practice. It's aim basically is to advise visitors who intend to drive here of the "rules" and how they may be ignored in many cases by local drivers.

One area where I am currently at sea is what the law states to be the maximum alcohol level (in both breath and blood) of the driver to permit him to drive legally.

Anyone know?

Cheers

BKKriders website has a comprehensive list of things related to law you may like to peruse. http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/law/index.html

The link to phuket gazette issues and answers provides alcohol limits. http://phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=658

“The legal limit is 50 milligrams/percent in the driver’s breath. If his breath contains more than 50 milligrams, he will be prosecuted. The maximum penalty is three months in jail, a fine of up to 10,000 baht, or both.”

Friday, January 23, 2004 Pol Lt Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen, Deputy Superintendent and Chief of Traffic Police, Phuket Town Police Station.

Hope that helps.

One area where I am currently at sea is what the law states to be the maximum alcohol level (in both breath and blood) of the driver to permit him to drive legally.

Its probably safe to assume your over the limit, even when you just wake up Jay :o

“The legal limit is 50 milligrams/percent in the driver’s breath. If his breath contains more than 50 milligrams, he will be prosecuted. The maximum penalty is three months in jail, a fine of up to 10,000 baht, or both.”

Thanks for that, Farma. I'll include the phrase "it is advisable not to drink any alcohol and drive" also.

Its probably safe to assume your over the limit, even when you just wake up Jay :o

post-123-1177044228_thumb.jpg

Its probably safe to assume your over the limit, even when you just wake up Jay :D

best take a cab and hope hes sober :o

got pulled over the other day by the fuzz

he said "I've reason to believe you have been drinking"

"why's that" I replied

"You are swerving all over the road"

"Thank <deleted> for that, I thought the steering rack had broken"

Boom Boom

How many normal drinks is that, to put your blood at that alcohol content?

As a general rule of thumb, a standard drink is approximately 320 ml of 4% ABV beer, 1/6th of a bottle (700 ml) of wine or a measure (1/30th) of a litre bottle of spirit.

In Elsie's case, a standard drink is the volume of beer that can be contained in any vessel, e.g. a 1.5 litre jug of beer is considered a standard drink.

:o:D

Driving whilst drunk helps to lower blood pressure caused by other inconsiderate road users and kamikaze maengkasi's all over the bloody road.

And how else are you supposed to get the car home...? :o

(j/k :D )

Obviously a joke, right? If you know you're going out to get hammered/plastered/drunk/etc., you don't drive to the place. You have a designated driver, or a taxi, or you stumble home on foot, even if it's 19 kilometers.

Some overly zealous prosecutor charged a drunk driver with INTENTIONAL MANSLAUGHTER because he obviously planned to drive home drunk, and his killing was considered to be a homicide rather than an accident.

:D But what if you do kill or inure someone? It really makes me cross when people drink and drive. As Peace blondie said, take a cab, designated driver, stay overnight, crawl home. I know a mother who cries for her son every day of her life, he was killed by an inconsiderate twit who thought his driving improved when trollyed. It doesn't :o .

got pulled over the other day by the fuzz

he said "I've reason to believe you have been drinking"

"why's that" I replied

"You are swerving all over the road"

"Thank <deleted> for that, I thought the steering rack had broken"

Boom Boom

An unfortunalely typical example of the moronic farang attitude to drink/driving. I see plenty of these "types" staggering into their pick ups after an afternoons boozing in cheap Pattaya bars. The Thais are bad enough but remember, if you have an accident its your fault, no matter who is to blame.