Covid-19 Deaths

marvin1950

Read all the information.

i am talking about Thailand 3,162 cases, recovered 3,053 (96.5%)

Deaths 58

Globally Active Cases - 4,122,786;

Mild Conditions - 4,065,038 (98.6%)

Lockdown, curfew, lost jobs caused the following increases:

Suicides - Unknown

Spousal Abuse - Unknown

Rape & Murder - Unknown

Mental Illness - Unknown

Alcoholism - Unknown

People die every day from high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes

Nothing in life is 100% guaranteed.

However, 96.5% is pretty close

1 hour ago, marvin1950 said:

Read all the information.

i am talking about Thailand 3,162 cases, recovered 3,053 (96.5%)

Deaths 58

Globally Active Cases - 4,122,786;

Mild Conditions - 4,065,038 (98.6%)

Lockdown, curfew, lost jobs caused the following increases:

Suicides - Unknown

Spousal Abuse - Unknown

Rape & Murder - Unknown

Mental Illness - Unknown

Alcoholism - Unknown

People die every day from high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes

Nothing in life is 100% guaranteed.

However, 96.5% is pretty close

Again, you are massively oversimplifying things.

this is not a straight decision between the virus or the economy. The economy is going to face a severe downturn whatever the government does, in Thailand the tourists would have stopped coming, nothing the Thai government can do do stop that. We don’t know how this will play out but there’s certainly the possibility that the countries that were strong at the start and got back to relative normality first will be the ones that suffer least economically.

All your Unknown’s are just that, it may surprise you to know that many countries actually reduced mortality and thus life expectancy went up during the great depresssion during the 1930s. I say this to demonstrate how complicated this question is.

The truth is that countries need to balance public health and the economy and that is extremely difficult because there are still so many unknowns with the virus. Has any country got that balance right? Too soon to tell but I’m not surprised a lot of countries were very cautious, it should be the natural instinct to be cautious when public health is concerned.

• Like 1

96.5% recovery rate for a virus that has no cure.

98.6% have mild symptoms worldwide

Tell me who is overreacting.

That is why alot of people are not taking it seriously.

Look at the stats I gave.

The media never mentions the recovery rate or those that have mild symptoms.

My friend lost his job because of the virus could not buy food for the family then he killed his wife and ultimately committed suicide.

Those two deaths are not in the  Covid-19 mortality statistics.

3 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

96.5% recovery rate for a virus that has no cure.

98.6% have mild symptoms worldwide

Tell me who is overreacting.

That is why alot of people are not taking it seriously.

Look at the stats I gave.

The media never mentions the recovery rate or those that have mild symptoms.

My friend lost his job because of the virus could not buy food for the family then he killed his wife and ultimately committed suicide.

Those two deaths are not in the  Covid-19 mortality statistics.

terrible news on the your friend but your stats are out:

For COVID-19, data to date suggest that 80% of infections are mild or asymptomatic, 15% are severe infection, requiring oxygen and 5% are critical infections, requiring ventilation

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Look again

Screenshot_20200628-191354.png

You have to be cautious with these stats, different countries will have different ways of counting mild or serious patients, some may not distinguish between the two and some don’t even count recovered patients.

The above also states that 8% of closed cases died and it is obvious the real total is much much less.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 12:40 AM, CLS said:

If you eat too much you only harm yourself. No victims involved.

As for road accidents this is mostly not true.

Well not sure if anyone who was morbidly obese - Had  hart attack and fell on top of another person and caused collateral damage ????.

Actually all them fat people keeps lots of people in gainful employment ... Hospitals, nurses, docs, Big pharma .... They all be out of a job !!  

One argument against stats of deaths and infections etc is that you have no idea what the figures might have been  without a severe lockdown.....we could have been looking at UK/Brazil/USA type figures. 

It is rather ironic that the single biggest saviour of Thailand during this pandemic was China....it was the Chinese who stopped tourism not Thailand.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Look again

Screenshot_20200628-191354.png

The WHO states: “For COVID-19, data to date suggest that 80% of infections are mild or asymptomatic, 15% are severe infection, requiring oxygen and 5% are critical infections, requiring ventilation. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-covid-19-underlying/false-claim-all-patients-who-die-of-covid-19-have-serious-health-problems-idUSKBN22V2YQ

On 6/27/2020 at 6:51 AM, cmarshall said:

The Covid-dies-in-hot-climates hypothesis is thoroughly refuted by the fact that the country that is #2 in the world for the number of infections is Brazil and #4 is India.

Nope, it definitely 'dies' much quicker at hotter temperatures with increased humidity than it does in a cold dry environment.

15 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Apparently since you are so angry about being inconvenienced by the closure of beaches and the alcohol ban, that you are unable to grasp a discussion of Covid response that isn't about lockdown or no lockdown, which is, after all, not the main issue.  The main issue is whether the government starts the right containment measures quickly and carefully enough.  Thailand, Vietnam, S. Korea, Taiwan, and others did.  The Western countries did not.  

If your point is Asia vs Wester countries, then you should be happy that I help your point by bringing Cambodia, with zero deaths, into the discussion. As Cambodia is in Asia, and not a Western country, it would support your point!

Unless your real point would be the draconian lockdown of Thailand, then of course you have to ignore the better results of Cambodia, achieved without draconian lockdown.

Which one is it?

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

One argument against stats of deaths and infections etc is that you have no idea what the figures might have been  without a severe lockdown.....we could have been looking at UK/Brazil/USA type figures. 

Or may be the figures would be like Cambodia - zero deaths.

15 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Or may be the figures would be like Cambodia - zero deaths.

Your argument being the less you lockdown and the more you allow free movement the less the virus will spread.......mmmmmm interesting.

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Your argument being the less you lockdown and the more you allow free movement the less the virus will spread.......mmmmmm interesting.

Not really, you are misstating what I said.

To word it simple:

You have a country where you apply measure A. You see something happening. It could be correlation, it could be causality. You want to know what would have happened without that measure?

Ideally you would have to go back in time and run the same but without that measure. Obviously we cannot.

We can only compare with other countries. 
For example very different countries, far away, such as the US or Brazil.

Or very similar countries, neighbors actually, such as Cambodia.

You can now pick the numbers of the far away countries, or you can pick the numbers of the neighbor, zero.

I think it is more likely that the numbers would be similar to Cambodia than to USA/Brasil.

Of course you can think differently, pick the pessimistic scenario, but at least you should not negate the optimistic possibility that the result would be similar to Cambodia, which indeed has zero deaths.

Edited by yuyiinthesky