Thai Energy Minister comes up with plan to spark economy

webfact

Energy minister comes up with plan to spark economy

By The Nation

800_37246667beb72b5.jpeg?v=1593001466

Energy Minister Sontirat Sontijirawong

Energy Minister Sontirat Sontijirawong has come up with a plan to help mitigate the impact of Covid-19 and plans to propose it to Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam on Thursday (June 25).

Sontirat said this plan will help accelerate investments, such as community power plants to stimulate the grassroots economy, promote the country as a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) trading centre among others. He added that this plan should generate more than Bt100 billion in revenue.

“Energy-related agencies, such as PTT and the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand [Egat] will also see if they have any plans to mitigate the impact of Covid-19,” he said, adding that the fuel fund management committee had agreed to maintain the price of LPG at Bt318 per 15-kilogram tank until September 30.

“The price of LPG this year is expected to rise to US$400 per tonne from its current price of $340 per tonne due to rising demand,” he said.

“The price of crude oil this year is also expected to move between $40 and $50 per barrel after it bottomed out at $20 per barrel in April. This will also cause the retail price of fuel to rise in the country.”

However, he said, he still needs to monitor the Covid-19 situation worldwide, decisions made by Opec, United States’ moves to resume oil production and the US-China trade war and see if these factors affect the price of crude oil.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390229

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-25

50 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I think he forgot(?) the most important and most unexpensive source to create energy : it's the sun. 

So why not to implement a law having all official buildings to have solar panels on the roof? 

And same for all new built houses (from a certain size on)? ????

There are many Solar Energy Farms throughout Thailand, and I personally know of 2 large ones in Khon Kaen Province. This photo is Thailand's largest in Lopburi Province:-

Thailand's largest solar plant gives hope for more private sector ...

Despite being recently quoted as "100 years behind much of the World", Cambodia is also investing in Solar Energy Systems such as this at a development in Phnom Penh:-

solar_ispp_dec_17.jpg

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

There are many Solar Energy Farms throughout Thailand, and I personally know of 2 large ones in Khon Kaen Province. This photo is Thailand's largest in Lopburi Province:-

Thailand's largest solar plant gives hope for more private sector ...

Despite being recently quoted as "100 years behind much of the World", Cambodia is also investing in Solar Energy Systems such as this at a development in Phnom Penh:-

solar_ispp_dec_17.jpg

Everybody knows that. What about your house???? 

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

Everybody knows that. What about your house???

If I owned my own house - yes I certainly would, but I rent an apartment and have no say in what my Khmer landlord decides. I do know some of the hotels I have stayed in during 6 years of visiting Cambodia use solar energy systems to provide hot water rather than use mains electricity.