Building a safer and stronger normal in Thailand with 5G

I don't work for any 5G companies, so I'm not pushing an agenda.  These types of frequencies have been used by the military and radio hams for decades and decades.  There are safety issues of course, basically to do with the power levels.  However, the power levels to be used by 5G are well within the safe limits that scientists and microwave engineers stipulate.  I have a Masters degree in microwave engineering from London University and understand the theory/data behind these safe limit levels.

I looked at that 5G petition, and there are some very fundamental technical errors (misleading errors) in some of their statements.

I'm actually not wildly in favour of 5G.  Nothing to do with safety risks at all.  It simply adds to the overall radio frequency 'hash' that's all around us.  As a radio ham trying to contact weak and distant ham stations on the other side of the world, the less RF hash there is to interfere with my flea-power radio signal, the better ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

As a radio ham trying to contact weak and distant ham stations on the other side of the world, the less RF hash there is to interfere with my flea-power radio signal, the better

Use Skype, Zoom, Messenger or WhatsApp instead.   PML

• Haha 1

I don't work for any 5G companies, so I'm not pushing an agenda.  These types of frequencies have been used by the military and radio hams for decades and decades.  There are safety issues of course, basically to do with the power levels.  However, the power levels to be used by 5G are well within the safe limits that scientists and microwave engineers stipulate.  I have a Masters degree in microwave engineering from London University and understand the theory/data behind these safe limit levels.

I looked at that 5G petition, and there are some very fundamental technical errors (misleading errors) in some of their statements.

I'm actually not wildly in favour of 5G.  Nothing to do with safety risks at all.  It simply adds to the overall radio frequency 'hash' that's all around us.  As a radio ham trying to contact weak and distant ham stations on the other side of the world, the less RF hash there is to interfere with my flea-power radio signal, the better ????

As a man who seems to actually know something about the subject, can you confirm that domestic microwave ovens produce rather more powerful but similar radiation than a 5g mast?

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Huh?  Untried technology??!!  As a microwave design engineer, I have been designing and using millimetric transmitters for more than 35 years.  I have yet to grow an extra head or die from brain cancer.....

Funny you should say that.  

The World Health Organisation recognises EMF radiation as a possible human carcinogen.

https://ehtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/Scientist-5G-appeal-2017.pdf

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

As a man who seems to actually know something about the subject, can you confirm that domestic microwave ovens produce rather more powerful but similar radiation than a 5g mast?

Hi, microwave ovens operate at 2.45 GHz frequency, and they generate a lot of RF energy, thus cooking food from the inside.  If you sat inside a microwave oven, the effect would be the same... (hence do not put your pet cat in the microwave to dry its fur...).  In order to operate correctly, the microwave oven has to have a metal casing, which also stops the powerful radiation from leaking out (the glass door has a fine metal mesh which achieves the same result).  Early microwave ovens were shielded with lead, which explains why they were very heavy.

5G operates on 2 different frequency bands, typically in the 3-4 GHz band and at far higher, millimetric frequencies.  The 3- 4 GHz band has essentially the same characteristics as the 2.45 GHz frequency.  But of course, the radiated power of the 5G is far, far lower!  Current 2G, 3G and 4G operating frequencies are typically in the range 1.8 - 2.3 GHz.

The millimetric frequencies can only be used for short-range communications, such as within a building.  This is because the higher up the frequency band you go, the more the signal suffers from attenuation.  Millimetric frequencies cannot be used if they need to go through building walls/concrete etc.

Is RF radiation dangerous?  Yes, but only when the radiation intensity is high, (and the level of intensity needed varies according to the frequency). Essentially, the danger is the heating effect, especially when that heat cannot easily be dispersed by your body, (such as in your eyeballs, which have no blood vessels to convey that heat away).  You need 1,000s of watts to be dangerous at medium/short wave frequencies (I typically operate up to 1,000 watts with my radio ham equipment, but I know not to stand next to my antennas when I'm transmitting - the danger is more that a spark could jump over and give me a nasty RF burn!).  But you need lower power when operating at millimetric frequencies. Operators of satellite ground stations know very well not to stand in front of the satellite dish antenna when it's transmitting, since the RF power level will definitely be dangerous! However, the power levels that 5G will use are far lower than the current industry safety levels.

Edited by simon43

14 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Funny you should say that.  

The World Health Organisation recognises EMF radiation as a possible human carcinogen.

https://ehtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/Scientist-5G-appeal-2017.pdf

Of course it is!  If the radiated power level is sufficient.  That's the whole point of industry standard maximum radiation levels.  Bit like a 1.5 volt battery.  You know it's safe to touch the battery terminals, but you also know it's probably fatal to stick your fingers in a 220 volt wall socket.

Sometimes a little knowledge gained from watching YouTube videos is a dangerous thing.....

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

As an additional comment, RF radiation is regularly used in medical scenarios, including at microwave frequencies:

"As microwaves have shorter wavelengths the choice of frequency can benefit the application, for example large volume ablations can typically be made at 915 MHz and 2.45 GHz and use of higher frequencies in the range 5.8 GHz - 10 GHz can create shallow penetration of energy resulting in very precise ablations suitable for treatments such as skin cancer, ablation of the heart to treat arrhythmia, uterine fibroids, multiple small liver metastases, corneal ablation (vision correction), spinal nerve ablation (back pain), varicose vein treatment, verrucae treatment and many other specific treatments."

https://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedias/microwave-medical-applications

10 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Sometimes a little knowledge gained from watching YouTube videos is a dangerous thing.....

They should rename YouTube to the tin foil hat channel.

I really can't watch any YouTube, unless it is music or a live event, for more than 30 seconds

• Haha 2

Of course it is!  If the radiated power level is sufficient.  That's the whole point of industry standard maximum radiation levels.  Bit like a 1.5 volt battery.  You know it's safe to touch the battery terminals, but you also know it's probably fatal to stick your fingers in a 220 volt wall socket.

Too technical to me. But I'm sure the scientists and doctors who researched the subject and petitioned the UN for a moratorium would be grateful for your expert input.

They can't even keep the power on for more than a few days without an outage in Chiang Mai so how on earth do they expect Thailand to become a technological hub? They haven't even got to grips with the basics of the last century yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, simon43 said:

Hence my comment about the non-technical watching YouTube videos... ????

Cheap shot. I referenced one video, because it dealt with an aspect of 5G which appears to be generally overlooked. My other three sources were all data based, with links to a great deal of technical information. 

One doesn't have to be "technical" (by which you apparently knowing a certain amount about a particular subject) to download, read and understand the reasons why so many scientists, doctors and environments has reservations about 5G.

If, as you suggest in an earlier posting, some of their concerns are groundless, then I for one shall be delighted. In the meantime, just as I defer to your expertise in your particular field, I shall assume these hundreds of scientists, doctors and environmentalists may have a case to answer.

21 hours ago, Susco said:

I really can't watch any YouTube, unless it is music or a live event, for more than 30 seconds

Obviously, for someone with a thirty second attention span, a tinfoil would be surplus to requirements.

Edited by Krataiboy

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:
23 hours ago, Susco said:

Obviously, for someone with a thirty second attention span, a tinfoil would be surplus to requirements.

Obviously from your post history, you must have a large collection of tin foil hats, so obviously a Youtube fanboy

4 hours ago, Susco said:

Obviously from your post history, you must have a large collection of tin foil hats, so obviously a Youtube fanboy

And checking yours, it's obvious you weren't joking about that 30 second attention span.

5 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

And checking yours, it's obvious you weren't joking about that 30 second attention span.

Did I say I had a 30 second attention span?

Wasn't that you who insinuated that, because you couldn't comprehend that I was explaining I couldn't stomach those conspiracy theories longer than that.

That my attention span last much longer is proven by the fact that I managed to read most of the conspiracy drivel you have posted on this forum, which takes ages by the amount of it.

Mr David feel free to drop off a box of 5G at my house and pay the monthy charge anytime.  You seem keen to help businesses and communities.  I use the internet for my business and I am part of a community.  I'm in most days.