Diabetic Eye Test

willyumcr

I am in an "at risk" group for glaucoma, so have annual check ups. Usually in UK, and it's free, because it's a hereditary risk. Anyway, missed last year's and this, so went to Bumrungrad, which has a good ophthalmology department. The previous time, I went to BNH. Bumrungrad has better facilities IMO, but it's not cheap. The whole test was just over THB8k.

13 minutes ago, willyumcr said:

yes, I had very good experience with Rutnin a few years ago but would like somewhere here in Pattaya.

Post your question in the health and medical forum

Edited by simple1

9 hours ago, prk888 said:

I have an annual glaucoma and diabetic retinal test at BPH.,  I paid B3020 last January inclusive

Thank you. That's what I was looking for. I am having vision problem with computer screen and was wondering if that price included eye test for glasses?

Most opticians here the eye tests are free.

They also test the pressure in the eye.

Prescription for glasses also free.

Don't know about diabetic eyes...maybe go to government hospital.  I had inflamed optic nerve once and the hospital was very good and only about 1000 baht for tests and medication. 

• Thanks 1

I use queen Sirakit hospital in Satahip, first class ,went there after a "doctor" in Pattaya told me i had a cataract and needed an immediate operation, cost in all 4k for exam and drops  ,told to come back for operation in a week .

thought that was strange as did not have a massive problem .

anyway long story short ,went to Queen Sirakit (recomended) joined hospital cost 20baht,got an appointment and then went back for it, now 5 years later ,will need a cataract operation on one eye in a year . when i had my first appointment(950 baht) had test and was told i was in danger of glaucoma ,(now take drops to keep pressure down)

you have to always sit around and wait to see the doctor ,but no problem ,going there was some of the best advice i ever had .and boy is it cheap and i pay more as a falang. 

Pps the doctors you see are the ones at the private hospital in Pattaya and who have private practices ,far far more expensive there 

• Thanks 1

Willy, Pls be careful. If you diabetic and have an A1C >> 7, you need to have a full retina scan done by a qualified diabetic retinopathist. I think there is one (only one) at BPH (I've forgotten his name). You are potentially playing around with blindness here so please be careful.

On the other hand if all you need is the (more or less) common Comprehensive Eye Exam which includes a glaucoma check and a (cursory) retina check after dilation of your eyes, then any decent ophthalmologist found in any decent medical center fits the bill.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marc K said:

Willy, Pls be careful. If you diabetic and have an A1C >> 7, you need to have a full retina scan done by a qualified diabetic retinopathist. I think there is one (only one) at BPH (I've forgotten his name). You are potentially playing around with blindness here so please be careful.

On the other hand if all you need is the (more or less) common Comprehensive Eye Exam which includes a glaucoma check and a (cursory) retina check after dilation of your eyes, then any decent ophthalmologist found in any decent medical center fits the bill.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information.I have eyes checked regularly when I go to USA but been awhile with this virus thing. About 8 months. What I am needing is some glasses (which I don't wear now) as I am having trouble reading computer screen. At same time want to get diabetic eye exam. Thanks for your input.