The logic of masking

Trujillo

On 6/29/2020 at 8:07 PM, Trujillo said:

Simply put: Since masks prevent the wearer from spreading the virus, and since no one has the virus, there is no point wearing a mask.

You are talking, debating with a forum of farang, non citizens. Basically you are <deleted>) in the wind. If you are serious, talk to the folks down at SG Jongwat, Immigration and or Bangkok. Tell us how it goes.

Edited by LomSak27

Masks are used to prevent an infected person knowingly or unknowingly from transmitting the virus to another person who is virus free.

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 8.45.59 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You may not think their is a problem .. you may believe that thai is free from virus .. you may not want to protect others  .... you may be wrong .. the world is in a pandemic  .. 

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

above does not work well with cell

Simply put: Since masks prevent the wearer from spreading the virus, and since no one has the virus, there is no point wearing a mask.

there is no point wearing a mask”

Yes there is.

Humans instinctively are always touching their faces. Therefore, and regardless of Covid or not, wearing a mask when out and about will help prevent transferring germs into your mouth & nose from any contaminated surfaces you’ve touched. 

Eyewear should also be worn. 

Edited by Nemises

If there was any adherence to logic, humans wouldn't eat domesticated animal/bird meats that spread these viruses. for example, In the last few days it has been reported that a new swine flu virus has erupted in China. Wearing masks are small beer in comparison.

There is no law requiring you to wear a mask however I carry one with me and in the places where they have a sign asking you to wear one I have no problem complying with the request. Increasingly however at least in bkk there are fewer and fewer places requiring this. I am sitting now inside my favorite coffee shop where nobody Thai or farang is wearing a mask and there is no requirement for social distancing. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 7:49 AM, robblok said:

BBC report showed Thailand having around 2500 deaths more then average in the last months. That is almost sure to be corvid. It just shows that testing here is not done well. 

The PUI timeanddress posts also shows that testing is not done well. So to conclude its gone is simply a stupid conclusion.

You wear a mask to protect others only selfish people refuse to wear them.

Then you got people who say just let those at risk die (that is becoming more popular). 

Do you have a link to that statement because I read the BBC every day and do not recall seeing that .

One indicator of a covid 19 presence would be over worked hospitals but that is not the case in my town near Surin and a friends place in Chonburi which are populated areas and different parts of the country  .  Also 2500 deaths as a percentage of the average global death rate of say 5 % ( could be much higher ) equates to 50,000 infections a month and that would hardly go unnoticed .

8 hours ago, poloshirt said:

Even doctors said they haven't really understood this virus so it is better we exercise more care than needed.

If you read the "Black Death", it was so bad that people died on the street and nobody collected the corpse because those who collected the corpses also died.

The virus of Black Death just suddenly disappeared for no reason. It really seems like The Reaper came and did his job and gone home.

Don't forget this virus mutates that alone is difficult to deal with.

Just a friendly note. The bubonic plague is caused by a bacteria and is still with us. It is treatable now unlike in earlier mass outbreaks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, superal said:

Do you have a link to that statement because I read the BBC every day and do not recall seeing that .

One indicator of a covid 19 presence would be over worked hospitals but that is not the case in my town near Surin and a friends place in Chonburi which are populated areas and different parts of the country  .  Also 2500 deaths as a percentage of the average global death rate of say 5 % ( could be much higher ) equates to 50,000 infections a month and that would hardly go unnoticed .

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53073046

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

No , an asymptomatic carrier could pass the virus onto another person who is also asymptomatic and it could get passed on until a person catches it and shows some symptoms .

That could be months down the line

Good argument to keep wearing masks forever...

Get real, after two full cycles with no new cases it is clear that Thailand is covid-free and should stop with this nonsense mask enforcement.  Where I live the people seem to have realized this by now and are only wearing them where enforced (like the local Tesco supermarket).

• Like 1

Up here in Udon Thani mask wearing is definitely down a little. Obviously, in places that require it mask wearing is 100% but just out and about and at the local shops and markets, it appears mask wearing is down to about 50% or less. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, superal said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53073046

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 11:53 PM, johnray said:

Because a young person will not show symptoms but can still have the virus and pass it onto a child or old person.

so now we have to wear a mask for the rest of our lives 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My neighbor won't wear a mask, won't have a vaccine when they have one, is all made up to control us, but he believes it is no worse than the flu, covid-19 was made in a laboratory in the USA along with ebola, SARS, HIV,  they are going to inject a microchip into us with the vaccine to track and control us all, the moon is hollow and was made by aliens, all the world leaders, the queen and Jews are shapeshifting reptilians from an alien planet, David Icke is trying to warn us,  5G causes covid-19 Bill Gates is the devil and trying to kill us all to depopulate the world but I am a sheeple etc how can you get someone like that to wear one or get vaccinated when available? Nice guy, strange ideas. 

1 in 3 people in the USA will refuse to be vaccinated. Many have similar beliefs, and I suspect many reading this do too..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Good argument to keep wearing masks forever...

Get real, after two full cycles with no new cases it is clear that Thailand is covid-free and should stop with this nonsense mask enforcement.  Where I live the people seem to have realized this by now and are only wearing them where enforced (like the local Tesco supermarket).

I'm trying to figure out the logic of an infinite supply of asymptomatic carriers passing it along until at some point in the unknown future, someone will show symptoms.  Great reasoning to just keep everyone wearing masks for the rest of their life. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, CorpusChristie said:

I was in an open air market yesterday and the security guard shouted at me to put a mask on , so I did , I then when and stood next to him and pointed at all the Thais walking by not wearing masks , I told him to tell them to put masks on as well ????

and did he? If he only told me to put a mask on and not any others, I would tell him

to stick it where the sun don't shine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steelepulse said:

I'm trying to figure out the logic of an infinite supply of asymptomatic carriers passing it along until at some point in the unknown future, someone will show symptoms.  Great reasoning to just keep everyone wearing masks for the rest of their life. 

If everyone and everything went back to normal today , if all restrictions were lifted and there WAS another outbreak of the virus , then we would all have to go back under lockdown for three more months , so, better to lift the restrictions slowly 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 7:49 AM, robblok said:

BBC report showed Thailand having around 2500 deaths more then average in the last months. That is almost sure to be corvid. It just shows that testing here is not done well. 

The PUI timeanddress posts also shows that testing is not done well. So to conclude its gone is simply a stupid conclusion.

You wear a mask to protect others only selfish people refuse to wear them.

Then you got people who say just let those at risk die (that is becoming more popular). 

oh, if the BBC said it......it must be true...........NOT

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andre47 said:

I personally always wear a mask when I go in buildings or outside when I stay near other people. I also wear it on my motorbike. When I see that other people don't wear it I also take it off, but if they wear a mask I also wear it. I think we are guests in this country and we should adapt to the local people. Wearing a mask is also a sign of respect and care against the others.

?

"I think we are guests in this country".   'Guests". Really??????? 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 9:15 PM, Lacessit said:

"Therefore, there is no reason whatsoever to wear a mask now, since there is not a single person in the country who has the virus, knowingly or unknowingly".

Asymptomatic carriers do not know they have the virus. Thailand has tested less than 0.1% of its population. How the OP reaches the conclusion there is not a single person in the country with the virus defies the logic he is espousing.

I get that you don't want to wear a mask. I don't get justifying that position with BS arguments.

There's no Law in Thailand that states that one Has to wear a mask. 

If one doesn't like wearing a mask then the best thing one can do is take one with you and when one goes shopping put if on before you go inside . If one doesn't ,some shops will refuse you entry.  :wai:

• Like 1

Since all the people in Thailand are virus free – i.e., the entire population has gone through more than two cycles of 14 days without a single positive case of coronavirus – no one can pass the virus to another, since no one is infected.

do you believe in Santa..... asymptomatic people aren't included in your comment are they?

Edited by Mavideol

On 6/29/2020 at 3:07 PM, Trujillo said:

Therefore, there is no reason whatsoever to wear a mask now, since there is not a single person in the country who has the virus, knowingly or unknowingly.

I think you shall tell these great facts to the health minister...????

On 6/29/2020 at 3:07 PM, Trujillo said:

So given these facts, why are we required to wear a mask?

Because the government says so...????

I however stopped wearing a facemask when not entering a required area like 7-Eleven, a supermarket, or a mall, as the locals started to look at me as "a stupid farang" – I then realized that it was because almost only I was wearing a facemask...:whistling:

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 2:16 PM, CorpusChristie said:

I was in an open air market yesterday and the security guard shouted at me to put a mask on , so I did , I then when and stood next to him and pointed at all the Thais walking by not wearing masks , I told him to tell them to put masks on as well ????

And did they?

As posts #8 & 12 state:

The OP is ignoring asymptomatic carriers who can infect others. 

It is thinking like the OP that could Make the Virus Great Again. 

The statement that there are no infected people in Thailand is brash, unsupportable , and naive, not to mention being inflammatory to logical and informed thinkers. 

Please be informed and make your own reasoned decisions rather than being thoughtlessly swayed by posts like the OP's based on false logic. 

• Sad 1

On 6/30/2020 at 7:29 AM, FolkGuitar said:

The decision to stop wearing a mask while the entire world is reeling from Covid19, with thousands of deaths daily, and no one really certain just who is or is not spreading the virus, isn't a political or even a medical statement.

It's an IQ test.

Yes, I would agree with what you said. I often think this virus problem  sort of weed out those who take unnecessary risks because of ignorance( & low IQ).

So we still have to take precaution whether we like it or not. So much talk on the new normal(after this epidemic is over that is). The new normal means you need to get use to the troublesome routine of keeping your hands clean all the time. Get hand gel at public places , shops or supermarkets. You have to wear masks for another year or so probably. A lot things troublesome to deal with still you have to deal with them. Like taking a day off work if you are coughing badly. You don't want your work mate staring at you do you?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2