How To Get Credit Card

Hi all,

I have asked in the other thread about how to buy installment without a credit card. But I would like to know how to get a credit card. My salary is only around 35k. I have enquired citibank and i got shock they told me minimum salary requirement to get a credit card from them for farang is 80k. For kasikornbank, they said 50k. But some of my friends still insist that i can get a credit card. Any of you have any experience or any advice?

Thanks a lot!

:o then ask your freinds,

also if you are looking to apply for a credit card in thailand i think its time to go home

Whys that, I'm thinking about getting a credit card for booking hotels, internet shopping etc...

Although TBH 35k a month is nearing the limit that they give Thai's credit cards at, so as a farang its not going to be looked upon well in the Banks.

also if you are looking to apply for a credit card in thailand i think its time to go home

Whys that, I'm thinking about getting a credit card for booking hotels, internet shopping etc...

Although TBH 35k a month is nearing the limit that they give Thai's credit cards at, so as a farang its not going to be looked upon well in the Banks.

thai credit cards have no credibility in my experiance outside of the kingdom. 1, very low credit limit, 2, useless to use aboroad.

<P>I applied for a credit card at SCB and was surprised to be turned down. I am the MD of a Thai company. I was told that it was the bank's policy not to give credit cards to foreigners. There was a way around it though. I spoke to the bank manager and she said that if I deposited an amount equal to the credit limit I wanted into a fixed account I could have a card. The bank would keep the savings book as a guarantee of payment. That's what I did and I now have a Visa and Mastercard. BTW not true to say that Thai issued credit cards have no credibility in other countries. Visa and Mastercard are accepted internationally regardless of country of issue.</P>

I have recently got two Thai-issued credit cards - one as a result of a friend's kind words in my favour, and one probably as a result of getting the first. Neither required any form of a despoit - they are credit cards in every sense of the world. For background, I am a UK national, been working here for almost one year, work permit, bank statements, and salary in excess of their stated minimums which vary from 15,000 upwards to 100,000 depending on the issuer.

I understand the many posts who query the need for Thai credit cards, but the facts in my situations are that I live here, I work here, I am paid in Thai baht - this is my home.

you must be in bad shape. in usa they give credit card to dead people...........only joking.

I have actually heard stories of dead people, pets, etc.. being issued cards in the US

To the OP, if you only want the card for booking hotels and order online (and don't actually need the "Credit") why don't you just get a bank account that provides you with a visa or mastercard debit card?

Go to Central Chitlom, top floor, they want anyone, speak English. Be prepared with work permit, six month banking history, passport, rectal scan, etc. If you do like me, wait six weeks until they loose your application, then go to SCB and fill out again, they gave me a card in a week (two actually, both visas).

thai credit cards have no credibility in my experiance outside of the kingdom. 1, very low credit limit, 2, useless to use aboroad.

Not sure what type of credit cards you have but I’ve used multiple cards (Thai Visa, Amex and Master Card) in the US, Europe, Japan, China, Hong Kong and Singapore without ever experiencing any problems.

As for the OP, I think it would be quite hard for you to get a credit card with the salary you’re on. As someone else stated, this is around the limit they have for Thai’s. However, check around with different banks and even different branches of the same banks as it can vary widely. If you have some Thai friends with a stable job/good income that you could provide as a reference then this may help you.

In my case I needed to have a Non B and work permit for 3 years before they would give me one, but others have gotten one a lot easier than this.

Tompa,

Go to Central Chitlom, top floor, they want anyone, speak English. Be prepared with work permit, six month banking history, passport, rectal scan, etc. If you do like me, wait six weeks until they loose your application, then go to SCB and fill out again, they gave me a card in a week (two actually, both visas).

is that possible for salary of 35k?

you must be in bad shape. in usa they give credit card to dead people...........only joking.

:o Unfortunately you are wrong.

On most credit card applications you will see the item called "home address"

Try being an American who resides outside the U.S.A.

Putting an overseas address in the 'home address" slot just about guarentees you won't get a credit card from an American credit card company.

As I well know.

:D

Unfortunately you are wrong.

Putting an overseas address in the 'home address" slot just about guarentees you won't get a credit card from an American credit card company.

As I well know.

true, but there are ways to circumvent that problem by using the mailing address of a friend as well as his home phone no. to activate the cards.

To get a web card from kbank involves 100 baht and opeening a savings account and getting internet access (would help with a bit more cash though) - this can be done with a visa on entry or better... This gives you a full 16 digit visa credit card and CVV too ! Great for online transactions and phone based transactions (customer not present), however I have yet to try using a printout of the screens/email in a thailand based bricks and mortar establishment - that is where a nationwide or post office (real plastic) credit card comes in handy...

I have an HSBC UK Premier bank account and opened the same here in Bangkok 7 years ago when I moved here.

Last year I asked for a Visa credit card and HSBC did all the work for me and all I had to do was sign the forms they had already filled in for me. I had my CC in six days flat. The only reason I wanted one was that Nok Air would not accept overseas cards but would accept Thai issued cards on the net.

I used it last week in Malaysia and today in Bali with no problems.

I also have an account at Siam Commercial so asked them as well. They said no as they do not issue CC's to anyone who does not have a work permit. Idiots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about these two companies, in USA? They will send a prepaid Visa card to you in Timbuktu (meaning any remote country).

1) http://www.epaycardcorp.com

2) http://www.knowledgeheaven.com/usbank/index.htm

Can anybody tell me about these type of companies, as they appear to me to be perhaps non-standard. BUT (because of my particular situation & needs) I am definitely interested in them.

Number #2 requires no credit checks and no credit reporting. -- They are full featured VISA and MasterCard (prepaid) debit cards, which can be used for both online internet purchases and POS ("Point of Sale"; in person) purchases.

I really hope somebody reading this post (somebody with a degree of financial acumen) could advise me on these sorts of schemes or offerings that can be seen on the internet. (They all require about a US$50 - US$100 application fee.)

Citibank is big in Thailand, but in my own personal experience you'll find it hard (as a farang) to meet their criteria - which also seem to change depending on who you speak to. There's nothing in any of their promotional material about a farang needing to have been in Thailand for one year - only the need for three months banking history. Yet when you apply you'll be told of this requirement.

Unlike other parts of the world, most of the big credit card companies do employ freelance sales staff to sign up new members. Just go outside any big office at lunchtime on most days of the week and you'll find someone with maybe a dozen different application forms from different companies. I was suspicious of this and called to check - and it was confirmed that they do use freelance sales agents.

Citibank is big in Thailand, but in my own personal experience you'll find it hard (as a farang) to meet their criteria - which also seem to change depending on who you speak to. There's nothing in any of their promotional material about a farang needing to have been in Thailand for one year - only the need for three months banking history. Yet when you apply you'll be told of this requirement.

I beg to differ. I openned a bank account with citibank thailand not so long ago - the bangkok branch is the only branch they have in thailand, so I don't think they are so big. They weren't specific about what docs they needed, but I don't have a work permit which initially caused them to say they couldn't open an account. After complaining to the supervisor, they openned the account with just a copy of my wife's tabien baan (I am not listed on it, my passport, and our marriage certificate.

Hmmmm.... not sure whether I would want a limit much bigger than $10k USD, but I guess not everyone is a high rolling Louis Vuitton limited edition kind of guy, I know I am not ;-) Never had it not work abroad, but then again, I only travel around the globe ocassionally, I am not Herr Taksin. Other than that....don't really agree with you but wha'eva.

Andy1308 is a good example of who can get a card; decent income, paperwork, etc = no problems. :-)

35k is pretty low and actually below the threshold for many countries to even get a work permit; not surprisingly many banks do not wish to lend to such a person. (and effectively a CC is a form of revolving loan).

But worth trying; in my own experience, the purpose built CC companies tend to be better excluding Citibank who are fairly hopeless for non-Thais (and arguably the biggest source of unsolicited direct marketing in Thailand; get ready for endless spam phone calls if you have a Citbank card). Am express is another option, but again, I think you may be pushing the praverbial with 35k income.

Incidentally, BOT regulations are I think a max of 5X monthly salary; based on this 35k would be getting you a limit of something like max 175,000b or about $3.5k USD - not too small IMHO.

I got a credit card from SCB and one from Citibank no problem at all. I do have a work permit and earn just over the min requirements for a foreigner based in Thailand.

Have to say though that the credit limit from SCB is almost useless...its less than half my monthly salary!!!!! Citibanks is pretty good though with almost 4x my monthly salary.

KasiKorn and Bangkok bank weren't interested at all. BBK wanted a deposit in a savings account equivalent to the credit limit......even though I pointed out that in that case it wasn't really credit and kind of defeats the object of having a cc. Kasikorn wanted me to have held a bank account with them for 2 years before applying...so didn't bother.

Also it seems that once you have one credit card its easier to get other credit cards or loans.

Edited by moonoi

I work in thailand. I dont have a thai credit card although my thai bank approaches me all the time.

I use my NZL credit card when I have the need to use a credit card.

In thailand it is strictly cash and debit card for me.

The only thai card I have seen that offers really decent value is the thai airmiles amex platinum, if you are a heavy user you can rack up alot of air miles.

I have actually heard stories of dead people, pets, etc.. being issued cards in the US

To the OP, if you only want the card for booking hotels and order online (and don't actually need the "Credit") why don't you just get a bank account that provides you with a visa or mastercard debit card?

Visa electron cards, debit cards, etc. are the worst idea ever. Once it is cloned and your bank account is whipped out, what will you do? Even if the bank decides you are not at fault, it will take months to get your money back. Use a credit card, at least the purchase goes into a dispute procedure while the situation is sorted out.

Some banks in Thailand are good about foreign customers, some are crap. SCB turned me down, but K-Bank and HSBC approved me - all the same information, go figure. I have also heard bad things about SCB and credit from friends.

Also, using most USA based credit cards in Thailand or anywhere else out of the USA (maybe not Canada) will result in an international fee these days that you pay, not the merchant - not sure what goes on with cards from EU or other countries. If you live in a country and earn currency locally, better to try for a local credit card - no transfer worries, no currency fluctuation worries, etc.

I beg to differ. I openned a bank account with citibank thailand not so long ago - the bangkok branch is the only branch they have in thailand, so I don't think they are so big. They weren't specific about what docs they needed, but I don't have a work permit which initially caused them to say they couldn't open an account. After complaining to the supervisor, they openned the account with just a copy of my wife's tabien baan (I am not listed on it, my passport, and our marriage certificate.

What you are forgetting is Citibank's sales force, which is over 6,000 people beating the streets and burning up the telephone lines – they are a huge sales operation – plus the external/outsource team. They have only one branch because as a foreign bank, that is what they are limited to by law.

... and spamming our forum? :o

I'm sorry if you mean me. :D

I didn't tend to spam this forum. I came here on purpose of having friends from oversea who works in Thailand to practice my English and share experiences.

I reply to this forum because it is about credit card and I think I might be of help to the thread starter and others.

I'm really sorry if I did a mistake. I won't post again. Sorry.. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm.... not sure whether I would want a limit much bigger than $10k USD, but I guess not everyone is a high rolling Louis Vuitton limited edition kind of guy, I know I am not ;-) Never had it not work abroad, but then again, I only travel around the globe ocassionally, I am not Herr Taksin. Other than that....don't really agree with you but wha'eva.

Andy1308 is a good example of who can get a card; decent income, paperwork, etc = no problems. :-)

35k is pretty low and actually below the threshold for many countries to even get a work permit; not surprisingly many banks do not wish to lend to such a person. (and effectively a CC is a form of revolving loan).

But worth trying; in my own experience, the purpose built CC companies tend to be better excluding Citibank who are fairly hopeless for non-Thais (and arguably the biggest source of unsolicited direct marketing in Thailand; get ready for endless spam phone calls if you have a Citbank card). Am express is another option, but again, I think you may be pushing the praverbial with 35k income.

Incidentally, BOT regulations are I think a max of 5X monthly salary; based on this 35k would be getting you a limit of something like max 175,000b or about $3.5k USD - not too small IMHO.

What on earth is isaanpaul talking about? Low credit limits and impossible to use abroad, my arse. I suggest he is confusing credit cards with debit cards, a mistake common to people who's idea of a good night out is two large bottles of Beer Laos from the 7-11.

I've recently had my Thai-issued credit cards upgraded. I've got a HSBC Visa card with a credit limit of 775,000 baht and newly acquired American Express credit card with a credit limit of 1.1 million baht. I've also got an American Express Charge Card which, of course, has no limit.

The credit limits are more than enough - far too much, in fact. I use them for all my daily living and pay them in full each month. I never have more than 50-60k on them, except for exceptional purchases.

And as for using overseas - nonsense. I used both last week to pay for carhire, hotels and all sorts of things in the UK. I also use them monthly in countries all around Asia when I travel on business.

If you're going to post informatively, isaanpaul, could I respectfully suggest you get informed?