Anyone used a 'virtual' Thai phone number?

davidupatterson

Hey all, 

I'm currently out of the country and need to receive some SMS confirmations from Thai businesses. When in Thailand, I have an AIS plan but can't use that while abroad. Has anyone had success in using a virtual phone number for Thailand and received texts successfully?

Recommendations for a reputable service would be a bonus. Thanks for your help. 

I am not sure what you mean with "AIS plan".  But the standard AIS prepaid cards work abroad without problems. Postpaid AIS only work with a roaming plan.  True prepaid simcards only work abroad after enabling roaming (must be done in Thailand by sending a SMS code).

If you are already abroad you can try to contact AIS and see if they can enable roaming.

I once searched for things like voip and virtual numbers. The only things I could find were international providers and it was very expensive. But I cannot google in Thai.

18 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

I am not sure what you mean with "AIS plan".  But the standard AIS prepaid cards work abroad without problems. Postpaid AIS only work with a roaming plan.  True prepaid simcards only work abroad after enabling roaming (must be done in Thailand by sending a SMS code).

If you are already abroad you can try to contact AIS and see if they can enable roaming.

I once searched for things like voip and virtual numbers. The only things I could find were international providers and it was very expensive. But I cannot google in Thai.

Thanks. That's the answer I needed. I chatted with AIS just now and they enabled roaming. I appreciate your insight!