Forum upgrade in progress! ×

30-day extension of Visa Exempt (now amnesty) entry?

Anyone know if a 30-day extension of a visa exempt entry (currently on amnesty) is/will be possible at Chaengwattana?

Obviously, this would apply only to those that did not already get an extension pre-amnesty.

In theory, it would seem to be possible, but in reality I would be skeptical based on difficulties reported applying for a non-O (from visa exempt) when in Thailand on amnesty  I realize anyone can make a wild-assed guess about this, and no doubt will, but it would be nice to hear something a little more insightful, firsthand and current.

• Like 1

I think the OP mean he came on visa exemption a few months ago.

Did not had to make an extension 30 days, because amnesty.

When amnesty ends, will we (same case for me) be able to make the extension ?

Ubonjoe aswered me here that probably yes.

Of course we have to wait and expect anything...

• Like 2

Yes, my visa exempt stamp expired in April, now on amnesty, so the question is whether a 30-day extension will be allowed if I have not done one yet.  I would rather not wait until the last few days to find out so that other options (such as non-O application which requires 3 weeks lead time) can be pursued as necessary.  Only have few days decide if no amnesty news forthcoming.  Sambotte and no doubt others in the same position. 

I suppose I could simply attempt the 30-day extension (not sure how early that can be done, and when the 30 days clock would start - Aug 1 or day of application?) but of course it would be preferable to know for certain since we would need extensions for the whole family 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

Some offices are doing it , some are not.

Some want you to extend before your stamp runs out.

So you should go and ask at your local immigration.

Got link to that. One is enough.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration should do the 30 day extension on or before the 31st. It has been advised to do that by some immigration offices.

I am aware of people getting the 30 day extension so they could apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration. 

Hi UJ,

For sake of clarity:

When an applicant didn't apply yet for the 30-day extension of stay and say his permission to stay ended on May 1st, from what date would IO provide him the 30-day extension of stay:

a) Back-dating and starting from May 1st (the date of expiry of his last non Amnesty permission to stay) > obviously back-dating would be useless if the permission to stay already expired longer than than 1 month ago

b) Starting from the day of application

c) Starting from the presently announced end-date of the Amnesty (31 July)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

b) Starting from the day of application

c) Starting from the presently announced end-date of the Amnesty (31 July)

Either of the above could be when it starts. It may depend upon the office where it is done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Maestro said:

With at least 15 days left of the permission to stay stamped in your passport you can apply for a 30-day extension.

You can (pre Covid-19) apply for a 30 days extension the last day of your permission to stay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Either of the above could be when it starts. It may depend upon the office where it is done.

4 hours ago, jimmjam said:

Some offices are doing it , some are not.

Some want you to extend before your stamp runs out.

So you should go and ask at your local immigration.

This is why I was asking for any specific feedback about Chaengwattana since it's not the type of place a person can just pop into from central BKK on a whim -- it's a PITA journey that typically requires hours.  I suppose someone has to go first and report back, but I was selfishly hoping it wouldn't have to be me.

11 hours ago, eppic said:

This is why I was asking for any specific feedback about Chaengwattana since it's not the type of place a person can just pop into from central BKK on a whim -- it's a PITA journey that typically requires hours. 

Go prepared to apply for the non-o visa and I am certain they will do the 30 day extension and then the accept the visa application.

• Thanks 2