A dreadful experience at one of my favorite Pubs.

WineOh

On 7/3/2020 at 10:02 AM, OJAS said:

Since libel and slander are regarded as criminal matters here in LOS, the bar could have taken legal action against him which might have resulted in him being banged up in the Bangkok Hilton (or local equivalent) for an exceedingly long stretch, had he done as you suggested.

Too true, partly.

Also true is that you cannot slander anyone or any establishment in a ThaiVisa post. You might have been thinking of "libel and defamation" and your fingers slipped and you mistakenly and misleadingly wrote "slander". But your point about libel is definitely worth consideration and defamation can stitch you up worse.

53 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Mate, they must see you coming a mile away every time ????????????????

yes and they soon see me walking off into the sunset

TBH, i do not shop at those types of places where haggling is even possible
but each to their own

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:
14 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Perhaps she just recognised your attitude as soon as you "rocked up"?

Oh yes, I showed her a terrible attitude by sitting down & ordering a beer, saying please and thank you with a smile.

i mean really shocking, i totally deserved it didn’t i? ????????????????????

Very obviously, I was referring to your attitude and the series of events that "happened" after you "rocked up" and ordered your beer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Now ask me what I think of people who pay 190bht for a 35bht beer?

No one pays B190 for a B35 beer, if they were B35 beers everyone, obviously, would be paying B35. Perhaps some people do pay B190 for B190 beers, though.  No one pays wholesale prices for anything in retail situations.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kingdong said:

a bit of a a i,me ,myself post,just because you get treated ok where you go dosen,t mean its set in stone,the poster related an incident that happened to him,i wasn,t there and i assume you wasn,t,however i can say i,ve frequented bars for years behaved myself then had a disagreement with a bolshy ho and the owner took her side,i just walked out and did not return till paradoxically the bar changed hands.

in actual fact the whole basis of this lads post is it was his local/favourite pub which to me means a place i am familar with and people who know me ? if it was about drinking while up in Udon Thani i would be able to talk about getting a ''Micky finn'' and when i realised something was wrong i ran down the road and got into a building, waking up 8 hours later. but money intact.

The bar off soi Buchow that hid the bins under the counter, and i tested it one time by buying one drink and not paying, next morning my bin was 800 bhat, this was run by Farangs we have all had incidences in the early days here ,but hardly any at a place we go to on a regular basis,

and this lad is the only one i have heard who has been told do not come back. 

i reckon even the Micky Finnars would of asked me back so they could try with a stronger dose!!!

oh and if it makes any one feel better i was told ''you only get a micky finn if you have a certain look

about you '' that was after drinking all over for 18 years. so i must of been good at hiding that look???   

I don't understand the problem. 

She comes over, starts acting up. Tells you, that you're making a problem. You handle her like a man. Put her in her place and tell her that you simply pointed out, there was a price difference. You naturally got curious. It is actually her, who's making a scene. Making a huge problem out of it and acting extremely rude, while all you did was simply asking an innocent question. Then solve the problem and tell her: I'll go to another bar. You go get another job that you can do properly. I would suggest she becomes an actress. There, all she has to do is act up and throw a hissyfit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

I didn't suggest that I was!   He did, though, by backing up your story.

Same can be said about you and all the other naysayers..

he is talking sense, you lot are talking cobblers! 

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I bet she wouldn't have dared talk to a Thai guy, like she talked to you.

Exactly mate.

she would have got more than a stern telling off if she had!!

lets be honest, the soi dogs get more respect than foreigners here.

to them we are the lowest of the low.

im voting with my feet!

Edited by Liverpoolfan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Exactly mate.

she would have got more than a stern telling off if she had!!

lets be honest, the soi dogs get more respect than foreigners here.

to them we are the lowest of the low.

im voting with my feet!

There are ways to leave Thailand, nobody has you chained to a bed here....just reminding you you have lost 40 baht but not your freedom....

7 hours ago, zoza said:

in actual fact the whole basis of this lads post is it was his local/favourite pub which to me means a place i am familar with and people who know me ? if it was about drinking while up in Udon Thani i would be able to talk about getting a ''Micky finn'' and when i realised something was wrong i ran down the road and got into a building, waking up 8 hours later. but money intact.

The bar off soi Buchow that hid the bins under the counter, and i tested it one time by buying one drink and not paying, next morning my bin was 800 bhat, this was run by Farangs we have all had incidences in the early days here ,but hardly any at a place we go to on a regular basis,

and this lad is the only one i have heard who has been told do not come back. 

i reckon even the Micky Finnars would of asked me back so they could try with a stronger dose!!!

oh and if it makes any one feel better i was told ''you only get a micky finn if you have a certain look

about you '' that was after drinking all over for 18 years. so i must of been good at hiding that look???   

?????ever heard the adage familiarity breeds contempt?

11 hours ago, innosiem said:

If you need to worry about the price, obviously you are not earning enough.????

Not really. I drink with guys that have millions of US$ and we dont like to be ripped off. We are happy to walk past a bar that is nice to a bar a little less flashy for the sake of a couple of dollars at the end. Its how you are treated that matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

The 140 thb could be a mistake.

It could. But that could have been explained to him. If that was the case i would have paid the difference.

But thats not what happened.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CFCjeff said:

Final score... Entitled Bin Dipper  0  Caring, kind,considerate, Thai Manager 5.  

Yeah im sure the owner is over the moon and losing a regular.

• Like 1

As an aside. Sorry OP.

Last week in a bar in Kuala Lumpur with a friend. We drink at the bar about 3 days a week. Before 3 months closure. And we spend a lot.

Order 2 beers and girl says my friend owes for 1 beer he didnt pay from around march.

He paid it, we left to the bar next door. Manager came over to ask why we left. He was not happy with the staff. He rightfully considered losing a few thousand was not worth the cost of 1 beer and regulars considering he himself bought us beers on occasions.

In my experience, its not worth the altercation even for a few hundred baht. Nobody made a mistake, someone at the bar consciously overcharged you, and obviously nobody was going to admit to doing so. The outcome would've been the same = you pay 190 and don't go back. 

16 hours ago, kingdong said:

they do if they,re buying lady drinks,while they normally have an inch of orange juice in a glass you get the odd one who,ll have a bottle.

No one mentioned lady-drink prices.

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Sad 1

This whole country called Thailand is set up to make money from tourists, well, mainly from tourists but if you are long term guy or expat they may not get you, because you know their tricks.

If anyone wants to do an honest business they probably wouldn't go into Bar Business.

Go into a bar you expect to be cheated, hey this Thailand mate, you forgot?

Get into a fight in a bar means you are not so smart. IQ just too low to survive in this sort of environment.

Is bar really a happy place to drink in Thailand? I often wonder.