Chiang Mai: Flights increase by more than half - but it is still only domestic travellers

webfact

Chiang Mai: Flights increase by more than half - but it is still only domestic travellers

6pm2.jpg

The director of Chiang Mai International airport told the media that daily flights using the northern hub would increase from 40 last month to 68 in July. 

Last month 4,500 passengers used the airport daily but this is expected to rise by 50% in July, said Amornrat Chumsai Na Ayutthaya.

However, this is just domestic flights and passengers. Any improvement in the international flight situation was up to other factors. 

For now there are increased flights on domestic sectors to and from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, U-Tapao, Udon Thani, Ubon Ratchathani and Hat Yai. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-03

Same story as yesterday. Still only very limited flights though - no Phuket to Chiang Mai route normally flown by Thai Air Asia and THAI Smile (among others) offered at the moment. Bangkok Air just one daily Bangkok-Chiang Mai flight, whereas Thai Air Asia is offering 9. Any reason for that? Bangkok Air normally offers several daily flights.

Very slow restart to resumption of domestic flight services compared to Vietnam, where flights are running at pretty much 100% capacity to normal. Similar to Malaysia and Indonesia though, both of which are seeing very limited flight operations. Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar are seeing almost none...just a few lonely flights a week in the case of Laos and Cambodia and a couple of daily flights on major trunk routes in Myanmar.

Until they let people who want to leave the country come back to Thailand (aside from the short-list, which oddly includes farangs married to Thais, but not long-term retired resident farangs), the stagnation will continue. 

I'm not even sure foreigners are allowed into Mae Hong Son yet. Funny since we are on day 39 domestically covid-free, which means the "emergency" is over, within Thailand. 

I think a lot of people are 1) afraid to get on a plane (the fear-mongering worked too well), and 2) don't have the extra money for traveling around (given that so many have lost their incomes).

9 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Until they let people who want to leave the country come back to Thailand (aside from the short-list, which oddly includes farangs married to Thais, but not long-term retired resident farangs), the stagnation will continue. 

Think that whilst you might find the offer to those of us stuck outside Thailand married to Thais sounds opportunistic, the reality of the hoops to jump through makes it near to impossible anyway

2 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I'm not even sure foreigners are allowed into Mae Hong Son yet. Funny since we are on day 39 domestically covid-free, which means the "emergency" is over, within Thailand. 

I think a lot of people are 1) afraid to get on a plane (the fear-mongering worked too well), and 2) don't have the extra money for traveling around (given that so many have lost their incomes).

Many are happy to be back at work

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

However, this is just domestic flights and passengers

Isn't that obvious? No foreigners are allowed in Thailand for the last few months, authorization for specific groups of foreigners to enter was given from 1st July but they have to be quarantined for 15 days before they can travel anywhere...

4 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I think all travel restrictions have been removed. Several foreigners have reported getting into Mae Hong Son recently. Also, Nakorn Phanom was closed too but is now open again.