Can Anyone Help

catcrumpet

Hi can anyone one help .?

My girlfriend in Phimai (Nr Korrat) is due to give birth to our son in 3 weeks time. All dates check out , and ultra sound scans show the baby is a boy.

I need information regarding the babys surname , we want the baby to have my surname as father. How do we go about this ? Do i contact the British Embassy in the uk ,or can it be done in thailand. Is the baby named with my name automatically at the hospital. What are the pros and cons etc ?

I built a house in Phimai 2 years ago ,so my girlfriend has her own address. I am 40 years old so is she , and i still work in the uk. She and i have been together now for 4 years.

I am booked to fly over on 10th may ,so hopefully i will make in time for birth. I just feel i need to be armed with information rather than arriving without a clue. Anyone who can help me in all asspects i will be so grateful :o

Hi,

At the hospital they will have all the documents you need for the baby's name, registration ect.

You need to be there if the child is to have your surname,They wont allow a single Thai women to list you as the father unless you are there and fill out the declaration yourself. you have to fill out the forms of support , Thai birth cert will be in Thai ,then you get it translated to English for your embassy to get the child citizenships in your country also.

Not hard to do , very common thing these days..

Cheers and congratulations! :o

Strap

Strap has already dealt with the Thai birth papers issue .

Lucky for you and your son , the law on citizenship was amended last July .

Before that the father of an illegitimate child ( I hate that term as the mother of my son and I are not legally married but 'village' married ), had to go through a very long processes to prove to the home office he had Domicile in the UK .

Now that is not necessary and you just need to complete form c2 ( Passport application ) and send a certified translation copy of the baby's Thai birth certificate which you get from City Hall . You also have to send your passport which might be problematic if you need to return to the UK so ask how long they will need it !

You can get all the info from the consular section of the British Embassy if you Google them but be aware that it has not been updated and seems to say it will be hard for him to get citizenship .

In your circumstances it should not be so don't be put off . It will be a great advantage to him to be able to work in Europe and earn high wages in the future .

In fact , it is not hard at all providing your name is on the birth certificate and you make the application.

I took the additional precaution of having a DNA test to prove conclusively he is mine although I had no doubts as we are very close .I did tell a small white lie and said it was necessary ( it isn't ) to save face but I do feel happier having had it done !

An acquaintance of mine did the same thing some time back but was rather unhappy at the results! :o Best to know for sure though I think.

His having dual citizenship is not an issue in regards to Thai laws of abode and land ownership I was advised by my Law firm ( Swiss Siam ) and by City hall , so it really is a good idea apart from the national service problem .

Congratulations in advance , by the way ! :D My 'little un' is 7 months old now and I've never been happier in my life!

Edited by swanks

Strap has already dealt with the Thai birth papers issue .

Lucky for you and your son , the law on citizenship was amended last July .

Before that the father of an illegitimate child ( I hate that term as the mother of my son and I are not legally married but 'village' married ), had to go through a very long processes to prove to the home office he had Domicile in the UK .

Now that is not necessary and you just need to complete form c2 ( Passport application ) and send a certified translation copy of the baby's Thai birth certificate which you get from City Hall . You also have to send your passport which might be problematic if you need to return to the UK so ask how long they will need it !

You can get all the info from the consular section of the British Embassy if you Google them but be aware that it has not been updated and seems to say it will be hard for him to get citizenship .

In your circumstances it should not be so don't be put off . It will be a great advantage to him to be able to work in Europe and earn high wages in the future .

In fact , it is not hard at all providing your name is on the birth certificate and you make the application.

I took the additional precaution of having a DNA test to prove conclusively he is mine although I had no doubts as we are very close .I did tell a small white lie and said it was necessary ( it isn't ) to save face but I do feel happier having had it done !

An acquaintance of mine did the same thing some time back but was rather unhappy at the results! :o Best to know for sure though I think.

His having dual citizenship is not an issue in regards to Thai laws of abode and land ownership I was advised by my Law firm ( Swiss Siam ) and by City hall , so it really is a good idea apart from the national service problem .

Congratulations in advance , by the way ! :D My 'little un' is 7 months old now and I've never been happier in my life!

Hi,

At the hospital they will have all the documents you need for the baby's name, registration ect.

You need to be there if the child is to have your surname,They wont allow a single Thai women to list you as the father unless you are there and fill out the declaration yourself. you have to fill out the forms of support , Thai birth cert will be in Thai ,then you get it translated to English for your embassy to get the child citizenships in your country also.

Not hard to do , very common thing these days..

Cheers and congratulations! :o

Strap

Congrats first.

I was not there when my baby was born. The hospital asked me for a copy of my passport (which I faxed).

The birth certificate from the hospital (Samitivej, Bangkok) , in both English and Thai is all we have now. The baby is in Mo Ban house (whatever they call it there) papers as a Thai citizen. She has her own (Thai) passport.

Make sure you get a UK passport within the first 6 months from his birth.

Otherwise you will come up against a lot of red tape and hasstle.

:o:D Elaborate please

Oh ###### !! Please dont tell me theres somthing else i need to know at the eleventh hour..........pooping me pants here !!

Thanks guys for advice, but there seems some dont agree .

You can be onthe Birth Certificate as the father but the child may not carry your family name under Thai law until you are married. Once married the name is changed automatically after a request from your and your wife. In other words no seperate process is required. I went through this with our first child.

• 1 month later...
You can be onthe Birth Certificate as the father but the child may not carry your family name under Thai law until you are married. Once married the name is changed automatically after a request from your and your wife. In other words no seperate process is required. I went through this with our first child.

Interesting. My Thai partner and I (not married) had our first daughter at Pecharat Hospital, Petchaburi, recently. On her birth certificate, she has been given our chosen English Christian name and MY surname, not her mother's. So don't quite understand about the child not being able to carry my family name.