Aluminum Kitchen Countertops or any cheap alternative ? What do you think ?

samtab

hello,

Do you where to get an aluminium (or maybe stainless steel?) or any cheap alternative for a kitchen countertop.

I do not want anything expensive because it's for a condo that is rented to people (who usually do not care).

What would you use ?

Pattaya area please, what kind of shop can make a cheap one ?

Thank you so much.

18 minutes ago, samtab said:

Sorry, not sure if I should post again this message in pattaya forum ? as I am looking for a shop around pattaya ? thank you.

4x6 diamond plate sheets and drill gun.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Do not consider aluminium ! Stainless yes.

Aluminium is way too soft, it will nick and mark easily and guess where all the fragments are going to end up.

If you really want a metal counter top then stainless is your material.

• Like 2

I don't know about the Pattaya area but almost every neighborgood in Bangkok has sheet metal fabricators who make stainless steel work tables, food carts and other standard items.  I'm sure a stainless countertop could be made to your specs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Aluminium is way too soft, it will nick and mark easily and guess where all the fragments are going to end up.

If you really want a metal counter top then stainless is your material.

All of that plus it is susceptible to corrosion from food acids.

• Like 2

Go buy some nice 24 inch by 24 inch floor  tilesa nd get some nice glass mini tiles for the splash back . Almiunium will scratch up and really change character if you get kitchen cleaner on it.. No no! You can even get marble slabs for 40 baht more then expensive  floor tiles you can get them in korat  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ArickChaiyaphum said:

Go buy some nice 24 inch by 24 inch floor  tilesa nd get some nice glass mini tiles for the splash back . Almiunium will scratch up and really change character if you get kitchen cleaner on it.. No no! You can even get marble slabs for 40 baht more then expensive  floor tiles you can get them in korat  

Sorry i did not understand what i should buy ? thanks.

Floor tiles on a kitchen work top while they might look nice are not a good idea. Too much dirt and germs will collect in the gaps between the tiles, and unless mounted on a solid base will crack over time. 

Don't see what's wrong with regular kitchen work top as sold in Homepro and the like, after all  they are made foe the job.

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2020 at 1:06 PM, samtab said:

Sorry, not sure if I should post again this message in pattaya forum ? as I am looking for a shop around pattaya ? thank you.

You haven't mentioned a size or if you can do anything yourself.

Sod's law being what it is you may have a problem with the standard type, they are usually quite long and need cutting. Better bet would be having one made from stainless but neither option is likely to be cheap.

If you can turn your hand to it the cheapest option would be as suggested floor tiles on a 20mm plywood base. If you go to a proper tile shop they will have end of line where you can just buy 3 or 4, you can cut strips off the tile for splashback.

You would need to treat the plywood against damp and insects and bond the tiles to the plywood with silicone adhesive. I would think that you could do 6ft x 2ft for about 6/700 baht.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

Floor tiles on a kitchen work top while they might look nice are not a good idea. Too much dirt and germs will collect in the gaps between the tiles, and unless mounted on a solid base will crack over time. 

Don't see what's wrong with regular kitchen work top as sold in Homepro and the like, after all  they are made foe the job.

So True.  Made a kitchen countertop once using the small, 1" ceramic tiles mounted on 1 s/f mesh.  What a disaster. Grout impossible to keep clean and constantly chipping out, spilled liquids very difficult to clean. Slippery to work on.  Tore it out in less than a year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

Not if you use 60x60 tiles, like I did in my maids quarters kitchen, and don't leave gaps between them

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Susco said:

Not if you use 60x60 tiles, like I did in my maids quarters kitchen, and don't leave gaps between them

Quite. If you get granite floor tiles they are square cut and no gap of any significance, just as the splashback meets the worktop.

The builder left me a bare room for the kitchen and I built my own. Not tiles but pieces of granite I had cut to size. When it comes to dirt traps, there is more problem around the sink and hotplate than the joints in the granite. Been using it about 11 years now without any problems other than normal wear on the units, not surprising, they were quite cheap.

100_2923.JPG

On 7/8/2020 at 8:22 PM, Susco said:

How would you know they worked? 

Seems like your maid would be doing all the cleaning.

6 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

How would you know they worked? 

Seems like your maid would be doing all the cleaning.

No idea why such a comment.

First of all I don't have a maid, and I built the house myself, so I well aware what works or what doesn't

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Tiles are not a good idea on counter tops, whether  grouted or butted. Bacterium gets in anywhere and thrives down the tile sides. ????

Have you ever seen a granite counter top that has no seams?

23 minutes ago, Susco said:

Have you ever seen a granite counter top that has no seams?

I wouldn't buy granite, it'a marble for me, my kitchen is 40' long, has black marble with what looks like diamond flecks in it, been on about 12 years now, still looks good and easy to clean.. As the work top area is big, there are a few near 'invisible' joins, they used some sealing stuff on those joints. ????

Oh, floor and wall tiles have black grout, never looks dirty....

• Like 1