T/insurance

mike uk

i am traveling in china and southeast asia in june for 10 wks. whilst i get free t/insurance from my bank, this only covers me for a max. 31 days in any trip. how do the backpacking fraternity who take a 12 month vacation get cover. all replies greatfully received.

i am traveling in china and southeast asia in june for 10 wks. whilst i get free t/insurance from my bank, this only covers me for a max. 31 days in any trip. how do the backpacking fraternity who take a 12 month vacation get cover. all replies greatfully received.

They buy single trip insurance for backpackers. You have a limited Annual Travel Insurance policy.

For a more comprehensive policy, take a look at; http://www.insureandgo.com/Travel-Insuranc...l-Insurance.htm

90 days per trip with no excess payable.

Don't forget to say thank you. :o

Not sure where your from but when i set off many moons ago from the UK I had backpackers insurance from Gotravel they seemed to be the best all round offer i could find (cover and price). If you Google Backpack gap year insurance you'll find many offers though. You won't need worldwide cover mind you and cover for the states adds a lot to any policy so make sure you haven't got that included.

Have a good trip.

Edited by miniwai

I used world nomads, who is underwritten by Allianz. They are pretty cheap and cover everything, also they are recomended by lonely plante. What sucked is that I first tried for 3 months, that was good then I renewed for 12 months. About 3 weeks later I got a job that provides Insurance and since I was living in LOS, that 12 month policay was a waste.............

Any info for travel insurance for us expat folks living here and travelling, most insurers I've looked at are UK /Europe residents only

The one noted below is a US company that insures US citizens as well as foreigners for travel in the US or overseas. I was interested in temporary health insurance while I was visiting the US at that time. Rates to visit non US countries were about 20-25% less I think.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/...php/t72635.html

"I am the Original Poster and would like to update this thread with info that I have found out.

I emailed the company that I noted above (Insurance Service of America located in Gilbert Arizona) asking them specifically about coverage for US citizens traveling in the US.

They DO have a package called "Liason International" for ex-pats that is not mentioned on their website. Coverage ranges from $50Kto $1M and the premium also depend on your age and deductible amount chosen. The insurance also includes some accidental death insurance, common carrier ins. dental ins. loss luggage ins., etc. The policies are offered from 5 days to 12 months.

A policy for a 60 yo for $50K with zero ded is $160 per mo. The same pkg with a $1000 ded is $128. For a 35 yo the price is $63 or $50. They emailed me the 7 page ins. description and 1 page application.

The Insurance Co. (Specialty Risk International) is rated A- by AM Best (a US based company that rates insurance compainies). One item that attracted me to this company was that American Airlines Inflight magazine did an article on them. They seem professional in the 4-5 emails that we have exchanged. They have a list of their US medical partner's facilities on the web (Hygeia)

Hope this doesn't sound too much like an ins. advertisement but thought info might be useful to others who were contemplating a trip to the US and wanted ins. coverage."