Sophon white alcohol ? what is this exactly ? Sold at Thaiwatsadu

samtab

I believe it's intended for thinning shellac, degreasing metal etc.

I'm not sure exactly what type of alcohol it is but I wouldn't be drinking it.

@sometimewoodworker would probably be able to comment further.

EDIT A Thai colleague thinks it's methanol, definitely not for consumption.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, samtab said:

It's not thinner

Are you sure?

I found one website (Baan&Beyond) with that product:

https://www.baanandbeyond.com/th/home-improvement-paints/paint/60078123.html

Google translates description as:

SOPHON ALCOHOL  . High quality white alcohol. Has a high solubility Dissolves well in Shellac Suitable for use in woodwork, glass work, glass or jewelery etc.

Crossy being faster for seconds :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Another un-reviewed Google:

Used to dissolve Shellac. Powder coating and printing ink Used for washing brushes, paint sprayers, multi-purpose mixtures

Instructions for use should be used in a well-ventilated place. To avoid vapors of this substance

Always wear a mask and rubber gloves before using. And close the lid every time when finished using

Storage methods Should be stored in a shade that is not high temperature. Keep away from heat sources and open flame.

First-aid measures In case of skin contact, wash with clean water and mild soap. In case of eye contact, flush eyes.

With clean water flowing for at least 20 minutes. In case of exposure to volatile substances by ingestion Do not induce vomiting Urgently need to send to a doctor

Danger Warning Do not use to inhale.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Are you sure?

I found one website (Baan&Beyond) with that product:

https://www.baanandbeyond.com/th/home-improvement-paints/paint/60078123.html

Google translates description as:

Crossy being faster for seconds :biggrin:

I know in Thailand everything is called thinner, but in the west we have Thinner ( acetone ) , white spirit (turpentine) and this is alcohol for diluting shellac, which is neither of the 2 mentioned above

• Like 1

Thank you, so it's not made to mix with enamel paint like thinner.

By the way, is the result exactly the same when using thinner (acetone) or white spirit (turpentine) (Thank you SUSCO) to mix with paint ?

Why no white spirit here ?

Also, acetone is what can be used to removed stickers on furniture or any appliances ? or better use the sophon alcohol ? What is the risk to removed the appliance color also ?

And do you think that this sophon alcohol would be the cheapest to clean office desks if I could find it in large container ?

Thank you to all and for all !

5 hours ago, Susco said:

I know in Thailand everything is called thinner, but in the west we have Thinner ( acetone ) , white spirit (turpentine) and this is alcohol for diluting shellac, which is neither of the 2 mentioned above

Thinner just means something that is added to another paint/finish to dilute that liquid or clean it off. These include but are not limited to Acetone, White Spirit (U.K.)/Mineral spirits (US), Turpentine, Water, Alcohol (Methyl, Ethyl etc), Naphtha, Paraffin/Kerosene,  Toluene, Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), Dimethylformamide (DMF), 2-Butoxyethanol, or any of the other glycol ethers.

Thinner can sometimes mean an Acetone based liquid but seldom does. The uses for an individual liquid are dependent on what you are adding it to or cleaning.

5 hours ago, samtab said:

Why no white spirit here ?

It’s reasonably available, certainly via Lazada.

Also, acetone is what can be used to removed stickers on furniture or any appliances ? or better use the sophon alcohol ? What is the risk to removed the appliance color also ?

The liquid you use to remove stickers (I use a heat gun) depends on the glue used to attach them. Acetone may work Alcohol may work. You need to test the surface to make sure the liquid doesn’t dissolve it.

do you think that this sophon alcohol would be the cheapest to clean office desks if I could find it in large container ?

The fumes from Methyl Alcohol are quite toxic, it’s very simple to find large containers of it in almost every big shop Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu etc, here’s another brand maybe 5 litres.

F1EC0AA3-4E53-4668-B8D4-D9D6564A4D52.thumb.jpeg.7fe97d693d3dccfacecf7d2dba728050.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, samtab said:

Also, acetone is what can be used to removed stickers on furniture or any appliances ?

You don't use acetone to remove sticker glue, as it will most likely damage the surface underneath, and it will also not be very efficient to remove glue.

Acetone will remove most paints, and melt plastics.

Much better and safer is White Spirit, or turpentine, with the latter being the stronger solution. It is quite oily though, so you may need to clean with alcohol afterwards

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

When I saw it I compared it with 'Wasbenzine' (Dutch, no english wiki).

'Wasbenzine' ; we used it for cleaning and degreasing, just like this Sophon White Alcohol promotes.

Clears residues from stickers and tiree inner tubes as well.

Not as strong as 'Terpentine' (White Spirit) and Thinners

Wasbenzine is a solvent consisting of saturated hydrocarbons with 5 to 15 carbon atoms of the formula CnH2n + 2, for example C7H16. It is used for degreasing and cleaning.

What is the English equivalent version of 'Wasbenzine' ?

15 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

When I saw it I compared it with 'Wasbenzine' (Dutch, no english wiki).

'Wasbenzine' ; we used it for cleaning and degreasing, just like this Sophon White Alcohol promotes.

Clears residues from stickers and tiree inner tubes as well.

Not as strong as 'Terpentine' (White Spirit) and Thinners

What is the English equivalent version of 'Wasbenzine' ?

Maybe just Benzine?

The chemical products Heptane and Naphtha comes close to the 'Wasbenzine'.

You can use it to clean fabrics with which then removes heavy grease stains.

It's also used as thinner-solvent (It is not -Thinner- but it thins the paint)

For household, (Dutch) wasbenzine is one substance and sold as one product in stores for the purpose to clean brushes and for degreasing purposes.

On 7/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, Susco said:

You don't use acetone to remove sticker glue, as it will most likely damage the surface underneath, and it will also not be very efficient to remove glue.

Acetone will remove most paints, and melt plastics.

Much better and safer is White Spirit, or turpentine, with the latter being the stronger solution. It is quite oily though, so you may need to clean with alcohol afterwards

Thank you, can you tell me how does the turpentine bottle looks in Thailand ?

Homepro ? Watsadu ? small local shop ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, samtab said:

Thank you, can you tell me how does the turpentine bottle looks in Thailand ?

Homepro ? Watsadu ? small local shop ?

The last one I bought was from HardwareHouse, was of the brand Eagle and had Turpentine written on the label above the brand name.

I assume that all bottles will have it in small letters somewhere on the label.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...