Samui Barter System

It seems that many (most?) foreigners on the island own a business or two and there are plenty of farang-farang transactions going on daily with cash changing hands for goods and services.

But what if you could buy these goods and services with, instead of baht, an exchange of your business' goods or services? Sort of like an exchange. A business owner would create a "menu" of how many points one of his/her goods or services cost and then when another member of the barter system wants something an exchange can be made.

It is simply replacing money with goods and/or services as the currency.

Examples:

- Two restaurant owners agree on swapping meals allowing either owner to go eat at the others whenever her or she wants and the price makes no difference. Maybe 1 meal at the first restaurant will exchange for 3 meals at the other.

- A building contractor needs some law services and a law firm needs a new fountain. A deal is reached where services are exchanged.

- A hotel room for your visiting parents can be exchanged for 2 boat cruises.

- A tailor made suit exchanged for a 3000 baht credit at a bar

- The possibilities are endless. You might not want the 3k bar tab so you barter it off to someone else for a cell phone someone is selling.

A website can be built where members can post their goods and services and how many "points" they cost. You peruse the list and when you find something you need you determine what you are willing to exchange. The more members the better. The transactions will be recorded on the web site so as to not have any disputes about who owes what.

There are many things on the island that I would like to get but cannot afford. However, maybe I have some very good services that I could exchange for said items.

If enough interest is generated a solid business plan can be developed with all members input and a system that everyone agrees with. A web site can be built and it is as simple as that. It would be run by the members with all books and dealings transparent. Obviously someone would have to be paid to do the set-up and maintenance but that can be barted at as well!

Bartercard International is already operating nationally within Thailand. Being a truly global system, I doubt that you could compete with the credibility and volume of business already being transacted with Bartercard. I regularly attend the Bartercard show in Bangkok and the sheer volume of trade is highly evident.