"Inside" info on Extension of Amnesty

If your "home" country has closed its borders, then I can see the need to stay in Thailand.

As there are currently flights out to UK and Australia, for example, why should the Government give amnesty extensions, when they could return home ? 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, roiethome said:

If your "home" country has closed its borders, then I can see the need to stay in Thailand.

As there are currently flights out to UK and Australia, for example, why should the Government give amnesty extensions, when they could return home ? 

so what do you suggest the gov do?

I certainly hope that there is some form of a further extension since, my return flight home to the UK is with Thai Airways, who have said that they will not be resuming international flights until at least September. I opted for a deferred flight with them when they cancelled my scheduled flight of 15th April. If I have to get out before then, I will need to pay another airline --- and lose my Thai Airways flight.

I visited an agent today who told me that I can (for THB 12,900) convert my expired (14th April) non-imm-O 90 day visa to an annual renewable retirement visa --- but it must be actioned by 31st July. When I told him that my UK passport expires in January '21, he told me that the visa would then also expire on that date --- but that the same THB 12,900 must be paid. 

I asked if he could help me to renew my passport, to which he replied, "Yes, but it could not be done by 31st July."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

People trying to extend are being told to wait for announcement.

so it looks like there will be some solution soon. 
highly doubt anyone is getting kicked out 

Correct!  If they weren't going to extend or allow people to stay, they'd have told us already.  And now Thailand is maybe going back under lockdown because of the Egyptian in Rayong.  

Well they are certainly taking their time with this and making people very nervous.

It crossed my mind that they may be using the word amnesty on the basis of a gun amnesty. Get your self sorted by this date or you are in trouble.

Gambling is illegal here but it seems many foreigners are taking a big gamble on the gov right now.

Just now, phungo said:

It's not really a gamble when the alternatives are much worst. For example, if I don't "gamble" and wait for amnesty announcement, I would have to book an expensive flight that may or may not get cancelled. Leave my wife and kids here by themselves. During connection terminals in another country, board another plane that will likely have covid or get covid at Houston, Tx airport. Quarantine myself in a hotel so I don't infect my parents. If I got covid then will at best be miserable in a hospital and at worst die a painful death.

Now which choice is a gamble again?

Texas is where I last lived, and where I'm planning to visit when this dies down. I will not leave and go back there now for any reason. In a few months the whole world should be better off where Covid is concerned. The US doesn't have good leadership and if they aren't ordered to shut down and stay away from each other, they will do whatever they want, and suffer the consequences.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Texas is where I last lived, and where I'm planning to visit when this dies down. I will not leave and go back there now for any reason. In a few months the whole world should be better off where Covid is concerned. The US doesn't have good leadership and if they aren't ordered to shut down and stay away from each other, they will do whatever they want, and suffer the consequences.

Yeh, currently 10k NEW Covid Cases per DAY. TEN Thousand NEW cases per DAY in Texas. thats an insane rate. And it is increasing each day! 

I rather go swim in an infested swamp than go to Texas right now.

• Like 1

Just now, phungo said:

Yeh, currently 10k NEW Covid Cases per DAY. TEN Thousand NEW cases per DAY in Texas. thats an insane rate. And it is increasing each day! 

I rather go swim in an infested swamp than go to Texas right now.

Hopefully by November it's back to where it was. When I go, all I'll be doing is hunting,fishing and staying with family. My daughter will not let her kids go back to school until it's safe.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, phungo said:

It's not really a gamble when the alternatives are much worst. For example, if I don't "gamble" and wait for amnesty announcement, I would have to book an expensive flight that may or may not get cancelled. Leave my wife and kids here by themselves. During connection terminals in another country, board another plane that will likely have covid or get covid at Houston, Tx airport. Quarantine myself in a hotel so I don't infect my parents. If I got covid then will at best be miserable in a hospital and at worst die a painful death.

Now which choice is a gamble again?

The gamble in my case does not involve sleeping at my parents house but I understand your concern.

Each day feels like a gamble to me as I would not travel 6k miles to the UK I would go to a neighbouring country and wait it out but I just think there could be so much more done between now and time to make that decision. Realistically that decision needs to be made next week if no announcement. 

Hurts to read the Bangkok post and see airtime devoted to 2pricethailand at a time when farang is suffering from not even knowing what will happen 2 weeks from now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

The gamble in my case does not involve sleeping at my parents house but I understand your concern.

Each day feels like a gamble to me as I would not travel 6k miles to the UK I would go to a neighbouring country and wait it out but I just think there could be so much more done between now and time to make that decision. Realistically that decision needs to be made next week if no announcement. 

Hurts to read the Bangkok post and see airtime devoted to 2pricethailand at a time when farang is suffering from not even knowing what will happen 2 weeks from now.

Yeh, totally, booking flights, hotels, and researching visa and covid requirements of a neighboring country on short notice can be quite stressful. This might be an option for me as well if amnesty is not extended.

Have you found any neighboring countries currently have simple visa and covid requirements for entry for short term stay?

50 minutes ago, phungo said:

Yeh, totally, booking flights, hotels, and researching visa and covid requirements of a neighboring country on short notice can be quite stressful. This might be an option for me as well if amnesty is not extended.

Have you found any neighboring countries currently have simple visa and covid requirements for entry for short term stay?

The closest I have found is Turkey.  No quarantine or even a test, if you don't show symptoms on-arrival.  

I'm not worried about the virus itself, as I am not old enough or have medical-conditions which would make it nearly as potentially-fatal as taking a taxi across Bangkok - but govt-responses to covid can be a nightmare. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phungo said:

It's not really a gamble when the alternatives are much worst. For example, if I don't "gamble" and wait for amnesty announcement, I would have to book an expensive flight that may or may not get cancelled. Leave my wife and kids here by themselves.

It's only 25k for a retirement extension through an agent.

If I have to, I'll pay it, but only the day before the amnesty runs out.

4 hours ago, davidhen said:

I visited an agent today who told me that I can (for THB 12,900) convert my expired (14th April) non-imm-O 90 day visa to an annual renewable retirement visa --- but it must be actioned by 31st July. When I told him that my UK passport expires in January '21, he told me that the visa would then also expire on that date --- but that the same THB 12,900 must be paid. 

Your visa has been extended to July 31 st .

If/when you get a new passport, you can transfer the visa to the new passport

5 hours ago, roiethome said:

As there are currently flights out to UK and Australia, for ex8xample, why should the Government give amnesty extensions, when they could return home ? 

Australia is allowing a maximum of 50 people per arrival. Hard for an airline to keep flights going in that situation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roiethome said:

who are  you to be impressed if i should stay here or not?

since when do all people need to be at home ??

even if you only chase girls and drink samsong all day, you have the right to be here. the government did not say to get out. If they did, we would do that. Now its just a grey zone; should I book or should i wait? i dont know what is the benefit of the thai government for this. i only know i wont come back again for a longer time here. time to look for vietnam or something next year..

Edited by E020
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jack Warburton said:

Good news with Cabinet to propose a 'Grace Period' (not an amnesty ext) for the period 1 Aug - 26 Sep

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/cabinet-to-decide-on-third-visa-extension-for-foreigners

And here in the news forum.

Plain and simple the order to extend the Amnesty until September 26th (or the 30th) will be proposed and approved by the cabinet on the the 21st. Apparently no real changes.

A reminder after removing several posts discussing the corona virus have been removed. There is a dedicated forum to discuss that. Any such posot will be removed on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

And here in the news forum.

Plain and simple the order to extend the Amnesty until September 26th (or the 30th) will be proposed and approved by the cabinet on the the 21st. Apparently no real changes.

A reminder after removing several posts discussing the corona virus have been removed. There is a dedicated forum to discuss that. Any such posot will be removed on this forum.

So what your saying is those of us on a valid Non O visa based on marriage to a Thai who's 90 day permission of stay has expired can extend for a further 60 day to visit the wife can do so by September 26?

1 hour ago, time2093 said:

So what your saying is those of us on a valid Non O visa based on marriage to a Thai who's 90 day permission of stay has expired can extend for a further 60 day to visit the wife can do so by September 26?

No

There will no need to apply for the 60 day extension since you will be able stay until the 26th or 30th of September without doing one. You can wait until then to do the application if you have not done one already.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No

There will no need to apply for the 60 day extension since you will be able stay until the 26th or 30th of September without doing one. You can wait until then to do the application if you have not done one already.

So you think the "60 day to visit the wife" can't be done in mid-September? I guess there's not much point if you can just go straight to the 1-year..

2 minutes ago, greggraham said:

So you think the "60 day to visit the wife" can't be done in mid-September? I guess there's not much point if you can just go straight to the 1-year..

It could be done at any time you wanted to during the amnesty. If possible the one year extension would be best. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It could be done at any time you wanted to during the amnesty. If possible the one year extension would be best. 

And by "during the amnesty" you mean until the end of Sept (once it's announced)?

Should I be able to jump straight from amnesty to marriage visa (for the first time)? Or might they want the 60 day first?