Mushroom warning! Foragers urged to use comparison app after 275 poisonings this year

webfact

Mushroom warning! Foragers urged to use comparison app after 275 poisonings this year

4pm.jpg

A top Thai doctor has urged Thais to use a recently developed comparison app to determine what mushrooms are safe to eat. 

Dr Okart Karnkawinpong, chief of the Department of Medical Sciences, said that between January and June this year 275 people had sought medical attention for poisoning after foraging for wild mushrooms.

The period of May to August is considered "wild mushroom season".

Ubon Ratchathani province in the north east had the most cases.

The four most common varieties to cause poisoning were:

เห็ดหมวกจีน (het muak jeen)

เห็ดคันร่มพิษ (het khan rom phit)

เห็ดก้อนฝุ่น (het kon fun)

and เห็ดระงาก (het ra-ngaak)

Dr Okart said that these mushrooms quite closely resembled edible varieties meaning that foragers could be fooled. 

He said that a new app has been developed in cooperation with Mahasarakham University called "Application Mushroom Image Matching" to help people determine what was safe to eat. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-15

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Thanks, downloaded it.

My mushroom in the fridge (from Tesco Lotus) is 90%+ edible according to the app.

App asked me to sign in as well, I just put a name for user and a number for password, logged me straight in.

Screenshot_20200715_171810_net.thaimushroom.classify2.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, lee b said:

Well I only eat button mushrooms, and I know they are safe to eat so i'm fine ????

there is one quite similar to the edible straw mushroom, but it is highly poisonous, be careful even Thai farmer get tricked by this one, I can't remember the name sorry, but exactly the same except for a few red dots it has under the cap in between the gills, since most people eat them when it still look like buttons, it is hard to check. just avoid the wild one, purchase from a verified source.