Emergency Medical Visa

A friend from Germany was in Thailand on a 30 day entry permit (not a visa, as far as I know), and was in a car crash. He was badly hurt and in the hospital for 30 days. By the time he got out, he had no visa and his entry permit had expired.

His wife (a Thai woman) went to Immigration and explained the situation. After she got a letter from his doctor indicating that my friend needed 90 days without traveling to recover, Immigration granted him an additional 90 days to stay in Thailand. I don't know what the document was called -- my friend called it a visa -- but, in any case, he was granted an additional 90 days to stay in Thailand.

Since permission was granted, he has since been admitted back into the hospital two more times with internal fluid build up and high fever, so his injuries appear to be serious.

Many times we see things on this Board that are troubling, but this was a situation where I thought the government agency involved was cooperative and helpful.

I don't know what the document was called -- my friend called it a visa -- but, in any case, he was granted an additional 90 days to stay in Thailand.

Officially it is called “extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom”, in the case of your friend granted under rule 7.24 of Thai Police Order 606/2549. If after 90 days his treatment is not yet completed, he can apply for a further extension.

--

Maestro

I don't know what the document was called -- my friend called it a visa -- but, in any case, he was granted an additional 90 days to stay in Thailand.

Officially it is called “extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom”, in the case of your friend granted under rule 7.24 of Thai Police Order 606/2549. If after 90 days his treatment is not yet completed, he can apply for a further extension.

--

Maestro

As info, some of the Bkk hospitals will take care of the paper work and running to Immig. for you. You still have to pay the immig renewal fees however.