sweet potato worm

memooz

Hi Guys

Need advise about sweet potato white worms. Whole my crop is eaten by worms , very much disappointed. Does anyone has an experience about controlling them.

Many thanks

Thank you guys.. Google says also quite difficult to control. I will try another spot next time. I was wondering is there a local ?Thai way solution to this problem, but as I understand NO !

Dear mr Grumpy I tried font size 14 for you, I got a serious vision problem too.. But I love This Font maybe comes from my art profession. Thank you everybody again.

10 hours ago, memooz said:

Google says also quite difficult to control. I will try another spot next time. I was wondering is there a local ?Thai way solution to this problem, but as I understand NO !

You really need to work on your google foo (i.e.: search skills). From the Thai language search I provided above, this was in the search results:

The thaigreengrow.com (rough google translated) says:

For the natural enemies of the sweet potato weevil include

1) parasitoid larvae ( Rhaconotus the sp.) , Which would destroy the worms that live in the soil above the vine, sweet potato,
2) white fungus Beauveria Bassiana

3) green fungus Metarhizium anisopliae,

4) nematodes Steinernema Carpocapsae and Heterorhabdtis sp.

Protection preliminary.
1) Avoid planting sweet potatoes in the location where the beetle weevils are infected.
Should not be planted at the same place. It is possible to rotate the crop by choosing plants that are different from the yam.
Should choose to use a yam vines that are strong and free from beetles.
Importantly, do not bring the sweet potato vine from the source that has the outbreak of sweet potato weevil as the seedling seedlings.
Finally, get rid of weeds or babysitters that are in the same family as the sweet potato. The area around the plot is all destroyed.
2) Harrowing and plowing the soil 
Collect the remaining pieces of it, burn to destroy larvae , pupa in the soil, improve soil conditions, add silica in the soil, strengthen the tree
Will help reduce the infestation of sweet potato weevil.

3) As for the farmers who have already grown or are currently planting and have encountered an outbreak, spray with white fungus Beauveria bassiana (Cutoff ) and green fungus Metarhizium anisopliae (Fortran) at the rate of 50 grams per 20 liters of water together with ground neem seeds (ground neem) or herbs with turmeric powder as an ingredient (Tiger Herbs). The same ratio (50
grams per 20 water. L)   Spray evenly every 3-4 days in the evening, in the sun, shade, wind, about four o'clock in the evening Importantly, must be sprayed on the soil to be saturated.

Because this group of beetles tend to hide, lay eggs in the eye, axillary buds in the soil
or even cracked soil for the larvae to be sprayed with bacillus. Thuringly (Biotac), which can help shorten the cycle of sweet potato beetle outbreaks by 80-90%.

For more information, contact the Organic Agriculture Club at 02-9861680-2 or the author
081- 3983128 Anyone interested in our products, please contact Hotline at hotline 084-5554205 -9 or Line Center: tga001 , tga 002 , tga 003 , tga 004 ***
Quality products ... must be the national flag leaf logo only ***

Image results for Cut Off  Image results for  Tiger Herb Image results for Bio-Tag

Ms Akarin Chuanchoo
(Academic Club)

Organic Agriculture Club
www.thaigreenagro.com

18 hours ago, RichCor said:

) Avoid planting sweet potatoes in the location where the beetle weevils are infected.
Should not be planted at the same place. It is possible to rotate the crop by choosing plants that are different from the yam

Going back again  to my collage day's, I was told that root crops should be in a rotation of 1 year  in 3 or 4,planting a completely different  crop in the 2 or 3 years,so to lessen the risk of soil born diseases and bugs.

But, in  this area a lot of cassava is grown ,very often on the same piece of land for 2-3 years on the trot, they do not seem to have any problems with any diseases....yet.