Foodpanda, Grab et similia

Sundown

I regularly use these services especially because they have very good offers that you cannot find in-store.

Now, my question is: how much the delivery guys are paid? Anybody knows? 

I never tip them but I would like to understand if they have a decent wage or not.

• Sad 1

It varies depending on the service, but generally the driver gets whatever the delivery fee is for your order, plus "incentives" from the particular service you are using (Grab/Line/Food Panda/etc.). These incentives are used to make sure the drivers are always available to accept an order, and are adjusted to maximize profits for the delivery service.  If there are many drivers available at a particular time and location, the additional incentive will be zero, and the driver will only get the delivery charge you see on your bill. On highly unattractive locations, times of the day, or on holidays, the incentive will be higher to guarantee someone is willing to accept the delivery.

The delivery service itself charges the restaurant a very hefty fee. Usually around 30% - 40% of the food bill. So they are the ones really making a killing.

Assuming they do a reasonable number of deliveries, yes, they are well compensated for their efforts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, faraday said:

Grab drivers get 30bt per delivery, but can get a bonus - called diamonds, for starting at 7am.

Panda only pays around 25 bt, but they are much busier.

7-11 staff get 300bht for a 10 hour day, that's 30bht an hour.

How many deliveries can a Grab driver make in an hour 3 maybe 4 ..... 4x the wage of 7-11 staff.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How many deliveries can a Grab driver make in an hour 3 maybe 4 ..... 4x the wage of 7-11 staff.

There may be many drivers so they might not get that many orders...Also they have to pay for gas and repairs  plus it is dangerous to be on the roads for so many hours. Then there is the hot sun factor.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not sure (that's why I asked), but I think your projection is a bit too optimistic. A 7/11 staff brings home 12-13k / month full time. I don't think a Grab driver's monthly income is 40000 THB/month gross. Even netting it with the fuel costs and wear&tear of the motorbike that would be too much imho.

Ps: I was just out of KFC a couple hours ago and I counted 11 Grab drivers waiting outside, no foodpanda though. It's good that a lot of unemployed people can make money like this. After corona it really exploded.

Edited by Sundown

The main difference between Grab & Panda, is that the orders for Panda are prepaid, so the driver doesn't have to wait, just pick up then deliver.

Grab, receive the order on the app, then place & pay for the Pizza eg. It means more waiting about.