Ghost of a chance: only 5% seriously believe in apparitions

webfact

Ghost of a chance: only 5% seriously believe in apparitions

By THE NATION

800_33f9f248fec9c0c.jpg?v=1595309692

Almost 55 per cent of people nationwide have never seen any shows to do with ghost communication, while 37 per cent say these shows are a concoction, according to a National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) poll conducted on July 13 and 14.

NIDA said 1,256 people aged 15 and older were asked via telephone whether they have seen any shows featuring communication with ghosts on TV or Internet channels. Some 54.9 per cent said they have never seen such shows while 5.83 per cent said they seriously believe in ghosts since they experienced such situations.

Meanwhile, 37.4 per cent believed only “slightly” in ghosts, pointing out that what they have seen were shows with down-to-earth production and scripts. 

Another 33 per cent said they neither believed in ghosts nor in communication with the dead, explaining that ghost stories cannot be proved and are unreliable.

In addition, 72.69 per cent of people agreed that official agencies should monitor and clamp down on shows with such content to prevent people from being cheated by fake events or history being “twisted”. 

However, 21.58 per cent said that this move is unnecessary as ghosts depend on one's personal beliefs.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391677

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-21

• Haha 1

Interesting stuff. 

A few years back a relative on my girlfriends side died. Could not have the windows open for one week during the night. She was scared the ghost might be coming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There was a popular ghost show on Ch5 a good few years back. May still be on, don't know.

Anyway, my family got involved and, initially, a couple of relations were interviewed on the show in the Bangkok studio. Seemingly there had been 'sightings' in and around the house, which was news to me!! Following that, they set up a trip to the house in Pattaya with an outside broadcast unit and the show presenter. Luckily I was away at the time otherwise I would have added a huge dollop of skepticism to the occasion which would no doubt have annoyed my wife.

Quite a crowd gathered by all accounts but the only excitement that was generated related to the family pooch. We had a St Bernard at that time and the size of it convinced some that there was a lion on the loose!!

Well, nothing came of their visit and it must have made rather boring TV, even for those convinced that Phee's are amongst us. No word since of any further sightings. Maybe all the hullabaloo scared them away.:biggrin:  

• Haha 2

My missus states she doesn't believe in ghosts or any of that kind of nonsense. On the rare occasion we might hear an unexplained noise at home, I always joke it was a ghost. She tells me not to say that. I tease her by saying I'm not scared of the aforementioned ghost and dare it to come at me. She then sternly tells me to stop. I remind her that she doesn't believe in ghosts to which she replies, "I don't, but...." 

Anytime I stick a horror movie on she asks me if it's about a crazy killer or ghosts, etc. If it's about a crazy killer and not a ghost, she breathes an air of relief. She most definitely is somewhat fearful of ghosts and the paranormal. In fact, I've asked quite a few Thais if they believe in ghosts and have never got a definitive no. 

Edited by rkidlad

3 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Cobblers .. I've never met a nationality more strung out by spirits an' ghosties an' stuff .. they got Phi for this , Phi for that .. they even got one who hangs about in the Khazi ( which is a bit peeverted if you were to ask me ) presumably to scare the cr*p out of you .. so I ain't buying none of this don't believe in ghosts .. 

I watched in amazement one day when a piece of land behind us was being cleared for construction, in the middle was a single coconut tree with an ant hill at the base.

Monks, owners, workers all gathered and laid a mat at the base, all offered food and prayers in a ceremony.

I asked the missus what was so special about removing a tree?

She said it wasn't for the tree, it was for the spirit that lives in all mounds of dirt !

• Haha 1