Phuket tells hotels not to raise prices; be honest in marketing

webfact

90f0d9fd36bb440107d95085b2132e06.jpg

BANGKOK(NNT)-Businesses in Phuket and the Phuket Tourist Association are now anticipating the government’s Travel Together campaign will significantly boost the province’s economic activity, while warning hotels and other providers of accommodation, against increasing their prices despite receiving a subsidy.

Phuket Tourist Association (PTA) President ,Bhummikitti Ruktaengam has addressed reports of price gouging at some hotels, taking advantage of the government’s subsidy in the Travel Together campaign, making the final price guests have to pay higher than previously promoted.

He said hotels are implementing different pricing structures, saying that reports of price gouging may actually be from the sale of hotel vouchers, not from actual bookings, however hotel operators should use simplicity and honesty in their marketing campaigns, especially during this crisis, by transparently disclosing the actual full prices, and the final price guests will have to pay with the subsidy from the government subtracted.

With its economy relying heavily on tourism, Phuket province is facing an unprecedented crisis due to the COVID-19 pandemic. With 14 million visitors last year generating 440 billion baht revenue, the present lack of tourists has already caused some 200 billion baht in damage to local economies, according to the PTA estimate. The association expects the island province can at best generate 120 billion baht in revenue, if international tourists still cannot visit before the end of the year.

Given this situation, Phuket is now shifting its focus to domestic travelers. Some 35 tourism businesses in Phuket will be staging a travel fair at Siam Paragon shopping mall in Bangkok from 30th July to 2nd August, offering tourism packages at special prices, as well as local delicacies, emphasizing to the general public that Phuket is now ready and eager to accept tourists.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

So now the Tuk Tuk drivers and taxis will be ripping off locals instead of foreigners.

This should be fun ????.

It is even funnier to imagine that 20,000 tuktuk drivers have gone back to their home town Nakhon Si Thamarrat and are now trying to rip off each other.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Years ago (in Pattaya) I saw a sign on the road saying Rooms '300 Baht/night'. I walked to the place (greeting them by saying 'Sawadee').

I booked in and handed over my 300 Baht. The receptionist told me it was 500 Baht. I told her, "No, the sign on the main road said 300 Baht."

The reply: "Oh, that sign's been there years, it's out of date."

So perhaps, not only be honest in your marketing (which they were - originally). but also keep your adverts up to date.

45 minutes ago, Roel said:

It is even funnier to imagine that 20,000 tuktuk drivers have gone back to their home town Nakhon Si Thamarrat and are now trying to rip off each other.

Let's hope they don't all change their jobs and become hit men .....

On 7/22/2020 at 2:19 AM, JonnyF said:

So now the Tuk Tuk drivers and taxis will be ripping off locals instead of foreigners.

This should be fun ????.

Phuket's Thai population get ripped off by tuk tuk drivers too, on the rare occasion that they take one.