PM urged to ease visa restrictions for foreign teachers and students

webfact

15 hours ago, reallyaffiliated said:

I also don't understand why not most of the hotels that are now empty just change into quarantine facilities.. Match the growing demand, basic business logics.

They  cant  afford the "entry fee"

17 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Oh please be careful! They could bring creative and progressive ideas to a backward education system!

That very much depends on where the teachers are coming from, with the peanuts most of the schools offer as a salary I don't think progression is on the cards!

21 hours ago, missoura said:

I know a bunch of international school teachers who are still stuck somewhere abroad and unable to return to Thailand. Combine this along with a average turnover rate of around 20% each year for teachers, will make for an interesting start when international schools open.

No sympathy for them being stuck as they knew that they would have troubles re-entering the country.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Crusader said:

What they really need to do is check on all the foreigners here on "dodgy" student visas because they are not studying anything.

Doggy student visas at scam language schools or for Muay Thai, shouldn't be included, because they are nothing but back door longer term tourist visas, Qualified teachers are government schools definitely. Those in private schools OK, but school should be charged something.

14 hours ago, thailand49 said:

HAVE I GOT YOU ATTENTION MR. CHAN O ( AKA MR. P.M. ) NEED YOUR ATTENTION IN THIS MATTER!

I'm sure he hears you, what with you posting *in English* on Thaivisa of all places and taking the additional surefire measure of using *all caps*. 

You can rest easy now.

Edited by ramr
clarity

21 hours ago, newcomer71 said:

Does he even know that they are still repatriating Thais, with so few repatriation flights and quarantine hotel rooms available? And he wants to open to new categories?
What about make available more quarantine hotel rooms and repatriation flights so the categories already designated can finally get back HOME?
Dumbest guy ever.

Plenty of rooms available in bkk. I have 2 hotels near me being used for quarantine and judging by the lights on in the rooms at night both are only about 10% full. The 3 star judging by the people getting off the occasional bus is Thai people or others of Asian heritage and has police guards at the site 24 hours a day. The 5 star is foreigners who are brought by Mercedes vans and just normal hotel security at the doors. 
I walk past both of them everyday in my morning 5k and chat with both the “non mask wearing” guards at both places. They do put them on whenever a new group arrives though. 

On 7/22/2020 at 9:00 AM, webfact said:

Foreign nationals on tourist visas should also not be forced to leave the country first before upgrading to Non-immigration Education visas, as they would normally be required to do.

IMHO border runs for new visas have no place in the COVID 19 "new order" world for non-immigrants seeking not only education visas but also those of the non-O variety for marriage to Thai nationals, being aged 50+ (aka retirement), etc. Why on earth can't Thailand start following the lead of practically every other country on this great planet of ours by issuing visas clearly stating on the tin the dates between which holders can legitimately stay in the country, with the freedom to come and go as they please during this period without the need for re-entry permits? And why on earth can't immigration offices be allowed to issue visas beyond non-O conversions in certain limited circumstances?

But, unfortunately, there are probably obscure clauses in the 1979 Immigration Act which will prevent changes of this sort being implemented in the short term at least.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, OJAS said:

IMHO border runs for new visas have no place in the COVID 19 "new order" world for non-immigrants seeking not only education visas but also those of the non-O variety for marriage to Thai nationals, being aged 50+ (aka retirement), etc. Why on earth can't Thailand start following the lead of practically every other country on this great planet of ours by issuing visas clearly stating on the tin the dates between which holders can legitimately stay in the country, with the freedom to come and go as they please during this period without the need for re-entry permits? And why on earth can't immigration offices be allowed to issue visas beyond non-O conversions in certain limited circumstances?

But, unfortunately, there are probably obscure clauses in the 1979 Immigration Act which will prevent changes of this sort being implemented in the short term at least.

You forget you are a guest in Thailand. It's not in the interest of Thailand to make changes in your behalf.

Salaries outside Bangkok and Tourist Cities go for as little as 25000 baht per month some of them no holiday pay  ( also take into consideration flight cost and how much is needed to be setup here in Thailand) and you have a degree in any field as a requirement of course there will be a huge turnover because many degree holders from countries like Eng , America , Australia  see it as a short term experience they will damage their career back home if they do it  long term especially in a country where it is not stable environment for them. Many non degree holders are good teachers and not backpackers and want to stay long term but cant all this contribute to the short term teachers and Thailand got more strict with visa requirements and obtaining Non B and ED visas 

Edited by raiden8411

8 hours ago, ramr said:

I'm sure he hears you, what with you posting *in English* on Thaivisa of all places and taking the additional surefire measure of using *all caps*. 

You can rest easy now.

A BIT ANAL DON'T YOU THINK. TRY TO LOOSEN UP YOUR BOXERS AND GET A SENSE OF HUMOR! ????

On 7/22/2020 at 2:06 PM, timmyp said:

This change would really help me out. I am in Thailand on an ED visa, and have been waiting to fly out since March in order to switch over to a non-B visa so that I can begin teaching. I was just about to fly out when the draw bridge got pulled up.

Good luck.

I just looked up salaries for teaching English here and they are pittiful. Hope you are doing better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crusader said:

What they really need to do is check on all the foreigners here on "dodgy" student visas because they are not studying anything.

You are about 5 years late with this one, you think it is easy to get and renew an ED visa these days? Especially long term

This change would really help me out. I am in Thailand on an ED visa, and have been waiting to fly out since March in order to switch over to a non-B visa so that I can begin teaching. I was just about to fly out when the draw bridge got pulled up.

The school where I would begin teaching is strict about following the law, and says that I cannot come in to the school until I have the proper visa. There is no way to switch from an ED visa to a non-B without exiting the country and applying at a Thai embassy. 

I've been hired, but can't start working or get any pay until this visa problem is sorted out. It really sucks. School started on 1 July, and someone else has to cover my classes. 

I really hope this change goes into effect, and allows me to change my visa without leaving.

My company is hiring expat already in Thai and recruit just fine. Wonder how they do that without the expat leaving the country. 

Edited by Acrylic

I've been hired, but can't start working or get any pay until this visa problem is sorted out.

That's horrible. It's a well known fact that teachers don't get their work permits or visas finalized well into the term, sometimes 2-4 months. Though technically illegal, during that time, they are expected to work and are paid. Many teachers now, much more than usual given the situation, are doing this.

On 7/23/2020 at 1:20 PM, raiden8411 said:

Salaries outside Bangkok and Tourist Cities go for as little as 25000 baht per month

I have it on good authority that the amount allocated from the government, to each school for a foreign teacher, is closer to 60k baht. As this gets down to the teacher, many hands come out. The school director for the lion's share, then other officials, then the agencies who do the recruiting, who are absolutely useless. They're all driving some nice cars, however. They could easily offer higher salaries and get higher quality teachers, simply by cutting back on the skimming.

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I have it on good authority that the amount allocated from the government, to each school for a foreign teacher, is closer to 60k baht. As this gets down to the teacher, many hands come out. The school director for the lion's share, then other officials, then the agencies who do the recruiting, who are absolutely useless. They're all driving some nice cars, however. They could easily offer higher salaries and get higher quality teachers, simply by cutting back on the skimming.

raiden8411 was just being a twaat, and didn't deserve a response. Clearly confusing the payment of an unqualified English teacher with certified teachers at international schools, which is what this is about. 

On 7/22/2020 at 6:29 PM, Chaaang said:

If that native speaker goes to China it can easily make 20k-30k+ RMB (90000 THB - 150000 THB+) per month

I've been getting the grass is greener stories about China and Japan for years. Here are the caveats:

1. Those salaries are for the good schools in the major metros. Most of those jobs are spoken for and tough to get. Most likely, they'll stick you out in the sticks, with a bit less. This one well known Japanese agency is notorious for straight up lying about this, and why I turned down an offer from them. 

2. Out in the sticks, you could make somewhat more than Thailand. But what to do with it? Here in Thailand, even out in the provinces, you've got some malls, bars, nightclubs, tourist attractions. In rural China/Japan, not so much.

3. Growing anti-Western sentiment, that puts Thailand's to shame. Here I've never seen protests with hundreds of people, demanding farangs get out. Over there, certainly. In Japan, the naughty US servicemen on those bases have them frequently calling for all Westerners to be strung up. Ever seen "Thais only" signs in BKK? Many in proclaiming "Japanese only" in Tokyo. And just the other day, thousands gathered to cheer the shut down of the US Embassy in Chengdu, China, over the growing US/China spat.

Uh-huh. I think I'm right where I want to be as a teacher right now.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

Has anyone successfully taken advantage of this yet?

Richard Barrow said in the original announcement that his school would be processing visas and switching to non-B visas from today after the 4-day weekend break.

I contacted my school last week about pushing this through, and am still waiting to hear back from them. 

Edited by timmyp
typoz
  • Like 1