Should My Thai Wife Take My Surname?

I'm a Brit married to a Thai lady. She has kept her Thai surname instead of taking mine - we prefer this. We're planning to emigrate to either China or the UK.

Maybe I'm being paranoid (too much time spent in Immigration Offices) but is the 'different surname' issue going to cause problems with visas etc? We have all the proper wedding certifiction but you never know...

Anyone have any experiences, positive or negative, with this?

Thanks,

Gary

My wife has also kept her Thai surname, I really don't think this is unusual these days.

We recently applied for a two year multi entry visitors visa, to beat the price increase, and it was granted in a couple of days without any interview or clarification questions.

On advice from Scouser we ensured that all the paperwork was enclosed and my covering letter addressed any issues which might cause concern.

Good luck.

My wife still uses her maiden name, has opened bank accounts etc in UK using that name.

I have never had a problem with this arrangement. Getting Visas for UK was never a problem as we could show the marriage certificate, getting a visa for Thailand also never a problem showing the same connection.

Not a single disadvantage.

My wife uses her Married name in the UK, and her Maiden name in Thailand

The only problem I had was with the Thai airlines check in staff in Bangkok,

When I forgot to use her maiden name on the airline tickets,

She had the marrage certificate with her, But still told her to change her passport

Now the tickets are always in her maiden name.

It makes sense to only have one identity. If the passports (UK & Thai) are in different names you are bound to have a problem when checking in and showing both passports (as you dont have a visa for your destination). If ID is required outside Thailand then a passport will be the ID document, if she only has a Thai passport then obviously the name being used should be the same as in the passport.

Nobody, these days in western countries expects your wife to have the same name as you, they dont even expect your wife to be your wife :o

Sorry Mahout Angrit

May be I did not make myself clear enough

She still only has her Thai passport, (1 ID)

but she uses her married name in the UK

I made the mistake when booking the Tickets,We had not long got married

and I simply forgot to put her maiden Name.

My point being some time it can be a small problem

if you make This mistake,

Templer

She still only has her Thai passport, (1 ID)

but she uses her married name in the UK

Hi Templer (and Del)

So the name she uses in UK does not match her passport.

Using two identities I think you will eventually get problems. I assume you are both living in UK. If she applies for a UK passport she has to send her Thai passport with the application. I can't imagine the UK authorities issuing a UK passport in a different name to the Thai passport unless the Thai passport has been endorsed that she now travels on her married name. The Thai authorities will only endorse a passport as such if her ID card has been changed.

So my point is while it matters not one iota which ID she uses I suggest that she should choose one and stick to it and not use one in one country and a different one in another because as I said in the previous post when she has a UK passport she will present that at airline check in to prove that she doesn't need a Visa to enter UK when she leaves Thailand so the names in the two passports should be the same.

If she does not intend to get a UK passport then you can probably continue without too many difficulties.

Thanks for that Mahout Angrit

This something I must admit I had not thought about,

When she reapplies for her new Thai Pasport which runs out in December

We will straighten everything up then,

Several friends have told me if she keeps her maiden name it makes it easier

for buying property and land in Thailand.

When she reapplies for her new Thai Pasport which runs out in December

We will straighten everything up then,

Several friends have told me if she keeps her maiden name it makes it easier

for buying property and land in Thailand.

Templer

Sorry I don't want to be the constant bearer of obstacles but if your wife applies for a new Thai passport she will have to show her ID card and the passport will only be issued in the name that matches the ID card. Not so easy to get a new ID card in London.

Probably easier to change her name back to her Thai name wherever she uses it in UK before she gets the UK passport.

As for your other point about buying property in Thailand, it used to be the case but for several years now your wife has been allowed to buy land despite being married to a foreigner. The foreigner must just sign away all claim to the land.

Thanks again Mahout Agrit

Just so I am 100% clear

Leave everythig as it is up until we apply for a UK passport.

Thai passport and Thai ID and just remember the right name for the airline tickets.

Then get it all changed in Thailand just before we apply for the UK passport

Templer

Over here K wife is Mrs Mc. as well as UK/EU passport/bank accounts /etc but over there she keeps her Thai PP /Id card /Driving license/Land and Business docs up to date with Ms...Unpronouncable.

When she got he ROCI.Gold Card from Thai she spoke to them and arranged for them (ie.TG) and Star Alliance to register it against both her names so get miles when travelling in Europe on UK PP. :o