Sauna, for the home

Spaniel

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a sauna for our home.   Other then having used a sauna in hotels we know nothing of buying one for the home.   We have done some research on the Internet and my wife called a vendor yesterday and he was very helpful but I would like to get some info from people who have a home unit.  We probably would get a small unit, 2 - 3 people and the unit will be placed outside  on our covered deck.  So any info will be appreciated, where to purchase, any problems encountered etc.  Thank you in advance for any replies.

Ok im man from Finland and as you know we are the sauna people lol

What you think about these? All included. I put link . Remember heater is 6 kw or 8 kw so you need to have enough big input in your house.

962133062_Screenshot2020-07-23at10_43_28.png.94f884b6857096b2ef628f9e30b1e205.png

• Like 1

https://thailandsaunashop.com/product/glass-front-sauna-room-2020ml-cs-g/

Here is link, you can make roof of that if you put outside!

In Philippines have 2 Finnish sauna factory named Sawo. Don't know how they sell here in Thailand but normaly sell all in asia. Ok you have covered place so don't need roof.

Edited by 2 is 1

4 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

What you think about these? All included. I put link . Remember heater is 6 kw or 8 kw so you need to have enough big input in your house.

962133062_Screenshot2020-07-23at10_43_28.png.94f884b6857096b2ef628f9e30b1e205.png

I'm assuming these are dry saunas. Personally prefer steam "wet" sauna, do you have those as well.

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

Both have been called saunas, but yes a steam room.

I often been to sauna's and where i come from the dry ones are sauna the other steam rooms. That is also what i found on the internet. 

Not that its that important as i think most people got what you meant.

Personally I prefer a Steam room here in Thailand I used to have one when I lived in England easy to build you just need a steam generator, I could give you a couple of tips on how best to build a steam room

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Personally I prefer a Steam room here in Thailand I used to have one when I lived in England easy to build you just need a steam generator, I could give you a couple of tips on how best to build a steam room

Yes you can buid your self. Even from alibaba or elsewhere you can find parts if needed. In Finland have many seller but i dont know how to delevery here. Price's start 3500€-up 126000 bth.

To me expensive for steam room but all price's in Finland is high!

12 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yes you can buid your self. Even from alibaba or elsewhere you can find parts if needed. In Finland have many seller but i dont know how to delevery here. Price's start 3500€-up 126000 bth.

To me expensive for steam room but all price's in Finland is high!

Here in Thailand probably best to find a gym with steam room. But now with covid-19 alot of steam and dry saunas are shut down still. I believe the steam is more technical than dry where a heater with coals do the job.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Thanks but building my own isn't a plan I see in my future, found a good gym nearby that had it.

Wait...... Is there another country also called Thailand that is NOT like a sauna everywhere you go nearly year round? 

Just wearing some rain pants, a rain coat, and walking around will do the trick in the Thailand I live in. 

Different strokes (cerebral aneurysm) for different folks I guess. 

On 7/23/2020 at 5:29 AM, Spaniel said:

We probably would get a small unit, 2 - 3 people and the unit will be placed outside  on our covered deck.  So any info will be appreciated, where to purchase, any problems encountered etc.

I had a sauna – or herbal spa –  for two-three people included in my house, when I designed it. I had the walls made from so-called comfort blocks, or "Q-con", aerated concrete blocks for heat insulation. The ceiling is made from hard wood – I used imported oak for the natural bright color, but teak or other wood might be equally good – with a simple wooden slide ventilation to let stem- and moisture out. On top of the wooden ceiling were two layers of mineral wool for heat insulation, it comes packed in reflective alu-foil, so easy to work with.

I had a 10kW "professional" steam generator installed outside the sauna room, it need water inlet and a separate electric group with enough power (thick 45 amp. wires). Inside the sauna I had a floor drain installed, just in case, but there has never been enough water to drain out. The steam unit comes with a thermostat "feeler" that shall be placed inside the sauna room – I have it through a small drilled hole in the wall – and an external control box with timer. A smaller steam generator of around half size, or 6kW, could probably do the job.

The inside of the sauna I had tiled, and with wooden benches made from oak (same as the ceiling). There are two 12-volt LED-lamps in the ceiling for light.

It was actually quite affordable to have a sauna made, the costs of Q-blocks, plaster and tiles were not that much; the sauna is part of an indoor work-out & jacuzzi area. The wood costed me around 6,000 baht (in 2010) and the carpenter's salary a few thousand. A hard wood tempered glass door was however little expensive, costed around 10,000 baht, and something for installation by a carpenter. The steam unit was about 40,000 baht. All in all with tiles, and tile-work, the sauna was made for less than 100,000 baht.

It works very well – never experienced any problems – but I must admit that we used it more in the beginning than now...????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, khunPer said:

I had a sauna – or herbal spa –  for two-three people included in my house, when I designed it. I had the walls made from so-called comfort blocks, or "Q-con", aerated concrete blocks for heat insulation. The ceiling is made from hard wood – I used imported oak for the natural bright color, but teak or other wood might be equally good – with a simple wooden slide ventilation to let stem- and moisture out. On top of the wooden ceiling were two layers of mineral wool for heat insulation, it comes packed in reflective alu-foil, so easy to work with.

I had a 10kW "professional" steam generator installed outside the sauna room, it need water inlet and a separate electric group with enough power (thick 45 amp. wires). Inside the sauna I had a floor drain installed, just in case, but there has never been enough water to drain out. The steam unit comes with a thermostat "feeler" that shall be placed inside the sauna room – I have it through a small drilled hole in the wall – and an external control box with timer. A smaller steam generator of around half size, or 6kW, could probably do the job.

The inside of the sauna I had tiled, and with wooden benches made from oak (same as the ceiling). There are two 12-volt LED-lamps in the ceiling for light.

It was actually quite affordable to have a sauna made, the costs of Q-blocks, plaster and tiles were not that much; the sauna is part of an indoor work-out & jacuzzi area. The wood costed me around 6,000 baht (in 2010) and the carpenter's salary a few thousand. A hard wood tempered glass door was however little expensive, costed around 10,000 baht, and something for installation by a carpenter. The steam unit was about 40,000 baht. All in all with tiles, and tile-work, the sauna was made for less than 100,000 baht.

It works very well – never experienced any problems – but I must admit that we used it more in the beginning than now...????

Thank you for your reply.  I am not a very "hands on" kind of guy so we are looking for a ready made sauna unit, installed by the vendor.  I am 76 and recently (early March) had a stroke.   I have mostly recovered but not up to purchasing and supervising the construction of a sauna.    

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 10:46 AM, 2 is 1 said:

Thank you for your reply.   We like a couple of the units you offer (1414 RC-CD and 1414 RSC - CD).   We have just a few days ago started our search  so we are still collecting data, prices etc. before making any purchasing  decision.   We will keep in touch with you.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:55 AM, Estrada said:

I asked Cheap Charlie about you spending B250,000 on a home sauna and he says "Why don't you just switch off the airconditioning?

A entertaining reply!    Thanks for taking the time.   With  a name like "Cheap Charlie" I would expect that kind of advice.  Just to set the record straight my budget is B 150,000.

2 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

A entertaining reply!    Thanks for taking the time.   With  a name like "Cheap Charlie" I would expect that kind of advice.  Just to set the record straight my budget is B 150,000.

Budgets are like hearts, they're made to be broken.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

Once again, thanks everyone for the replies.   After careful consideration my wife and I have decided not to purchase a sauna unit for our home.

I just spent 2 days at a very nice hotel that had both a steam room and a dry sauna. One word "Heaven" to describe it. I haven't been in a steam room in years. After I turned the systen on it took about 20 minutes and it was blazing steam. Sooo good. Had a nice overhead shower next to it to cool down....exquisite and good for another round. 

I'm sure the dry sauna system is easier and cheaper. But I'm in love all over again with the steam, will be getting one built. The room itself is relatively cheap and the steam generator is where the bigger money is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I just spent 2 days at a very nice hotel that had both a steam room and a dry sauna. One word "Heaven" to describe it. I haven't been in a steam room in years. After I turned the systen on it took about 20 minutes and it was blazing steam. Sooo good. Had a nice overhead shower next to it to cool down....exquisite and good for another round. 

I'm sure the dry sauna system is easier and cheaper. But I'm in love all over again with the steam, will be getting one built. The room itself is relatively cheap and the steam generator is where the bigger money is.

Wife and I were stayed at the Kantary 304 Hotel in Pranchiburi last week for a few days and they too had both steam room and sauna available for hotel guests.    Wife is from Prachin and we visit  several times a year so looks like that is where we will be going for a sauna in the future.

• Like 1

I know the OP says he's not doing it but it's a great subject. The door would be another special order but I'll bet it's doable for 120,000 all in.

Harvia Steam Generator HGX15 Series  72,000 bht on lazada