Migrant labour from neighbouring countries now allowed to return

webfact

So projections indicate 8 million Thais face unemployment and they are allowing migrant labour to return (possibly carrying covid19 to boot)?

Am I missing some thing?

How low do these multibillionaires need the daily wage to be?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

So projections indicate 8 million Thais face unemployment and they are allowing migrant labour to return (possibly carrying covid19 to boot)?

Am I missing some thing?

How low do these multibillionaires need the daily wage to be?

Unfortunately it's the same in my country of origin

more than 10% of people are unemployed but the goverment

still allow and encourage an illegal and legal immigration workforce

of course with these conditions the minimum wage stays at the minimum level

the pressure being on the workers, not the employers, and it's probably the same in Thailand

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

no need for "fit to fly" as entry is overland

Health insurance is already addressed. Migrant workers are eligible for cover under the 30 baht scheme for a fee of about 1800 baht a year and it states they must purchase this unless covered under SS (as those employed by large companies might be).

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

You said it will cost them 100k THB and they have to go into ASQ.

The article says it costs about 13-19k including ALQ.

They don't need a fit to fly certificate, just a fit to travel certificate. Probably quite similar to the medical certificate which we need to get for a driving license, last time i paid 80THB for mine.

Health insurance for migrant workers maybe 2-3k THB.

They always had to pay the costs for visas and work permits, costs about 2000 for the work permit and 1000 for the visa.

The employer has to pay about 15-21k and the employee about 3-4k THB, or 18-25k in total. Quite a difference from the 100k which you assumed.

I take that back. Didn't realise it was so much cheaper for them than for the westerners.  Thank you for clarification.

I hope the "just kidding" time will be over soon and somebody with common sense (?) will come to an easy regulations (e.g. mandatory Covid test and self quarantine) and everybody is allowed to enter Thailand.

Currently I still can resist the temptation of facing a 14 days ASQ and all the other annoying preconditions, however, as an investor with active company but expired work permit and soon to be expired visa it would be nice starting work again soon.