Good explanation of New extension to Amnesty

20 minutes ago, narisarasgroove said:

Thanks for posting this. I had a query about the 90 day reporting and this has made it clear for me. 

Not saying your wrong. However this is not a NEW amnesty. It's just extension of original order. The original stated that 90 day reports are suspended during amnesty. 

Need to wait for clear wording and interpretation. 

Paragraph from article : "Many of the foreigners having good reasons to stay will have multiple-entry non-immigrant visas but, as matters stand, cannot do a border run or leave the country and return because of immigration restrictions here and abroad. The immigration bureau is advising such applicants to apply “early” and not wait till mid-September when queues will be longer and tempers frayed all round. These new visas will all the dated from September 27, presumably for three months in most cases. Best of luck."

Is this way off? what 3 months visa are they talking about?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, phungo said:

Is this way off?

Yes

There is no 3 month extension for any non immigrant visa entry. Other than maybe a 90 day .extension for medical treatment. 

If married to or the parent of a Thai a 60 day extension could be apply for if a person had not gotten one since their last entry to the country.

A 30 day extension with a letter from a person's embassy may be possible.

• Like 2

Reading lots of the posts and signed up now to ask something I need advice for.  I know best answers come from immigration, but am thankful for advice anyone has here.

Currently have 6 month METV that ended March.  I took trip before it ended and got 60 day on the last entry that was supposed to end in middle of May, and now I am under the amnesty.  I never applied for normal 30 day extension at end of my regular 60 entry on METV, so maybe I have that option, maybe not.  Not clear to me.

My situation is this.  I turn 50 on 12 October.  I want to get the retirement visa.  Is this possible?  Here are my questions --

1.) Do they give people on METV/TV who do not previously apply for 30 day extension, the ability to apply for 30 day extension now without embassy letter?  Has anyone here successfully received an extension under the same circumstances?

2.) If I can get 30 day extension, how much time do I need to apply for the 90 day non-immigrant retirement visa?  (I read that extension would be valid 27 September - 27 October.)  I am 50 on 12 October and would have 16 days before 30 day extension ends on 27 October.

3.) Do I need insurance, funds in bank, other items, ready before applying for 90 day visa?  Or are things prepared during the first 90 days of the new retirement visa, before I apply for 1 year extension of permission to stay?

4.) If I need bank funding before I apply for 90 days, can I open bank account at banks using my expired METV that is currently on Amnesty?  I can do that this week and hopefully move funds in time.

5.) If I get funds to bank before I apply for 30 day METV extension, do you think it help for immigration people to know?  Or if they know, does it hurt my chance to get 30 day extension?

Sorry for complicated first post!  I thank you for your help and advice.

29 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

1.) Do they give people on METV/TV who do not previously apply for 30 day extension, the ability to apply for 30 day extension now without embassy letter?  Has anyone here successfully received an extension under the same circumstances?

2.) If I can get 30 day extension, how much time do I need to apply for the 90 day non-immigrant retirement visa?  (I read that extension would be valid 27 September - 27 October.)  I am 50 on 12 October and would have 16 days before 30 day extension ends on 27 October.

3.) Do I need insurance, funds in bank, other items, ready before applying for 90 day visa?  Or are things prepared during the first 90 days of the new retirement visa, before I apply for 1 year extension of permission to stay?

4.) If I need bank funding before I apply for 90 days, can I open bank account at banks using my expired METV that is currently on Amnesty?  I can do that this week and hopefully move funds in time.

5.) If I get funds to bank before I apply for 30 day METV extension, do you think it help for immigration people to know?  Or if they know, does it hurt my chance to get 30 day extension?

1. They have done them during the amnesty before.

2. It would be close since you must have 15 days remaining on your 30 day extension to apply for the visa. But some offices want 21 days.

3. Insurance is not required. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply for the the visa or proof of 65k baht income.

Requirement for the visa application is here: http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

4. Others have been able to open an account with a tourist visa entry. You have to try different banks and different branches of the same bank.

5. Having the account would make no difference when applying for the extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to the Chachoengsao IO on Friday to ask about my situation:
-NON-O ME based on Thai spouse, visa expiry Dec 2020

-60day extension used, expired June 2nd

-now on amnesty obviously

Asking them:
-Can I apply now for 1-year extension?

-If not, what are my other options? Another 60 days? New visa? (I realize these have been no-gos, but perhaps they bend some rules)

If anyone is in a similar situation, please post experiences what has been possible at IOs on this forum, how the issue has been resolved. If it has been resolved at all.

Edited by stoicccc
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

26th September is a Saturday, so the last day you could apply for the 30 day extension would be Friday 25th.

25th counts as day 1 of the extension, therefore your 30 days will expire on 24th Oct.

You must be 50 to apply for the Non O and have at least 15 days of permission of stay left from the 30 day extension.

Unfortunately your 3 days short, unless your Immigration office cut you some slack on the basis you would be 50 by the time they approve and issue your Non O.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not saying your wrong. However this is not a NEW amnesty. It's just extension of original order. The original stated that 90 day reports are suspended during amnesty. 

Need to wait for clear wording and interpretation. 

That´s great Dr Jack. Now you told him and made everything clear. Happy?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have just seen a report from Thai Immigration in The Nation that all foreigners on temp stay or extended Visas must leave Thailand by Sept 31st and that Thai immigration plan to  revoke all  Business , employment, study   and retirement visas soon after ?    Only those on Spuse or medical  are exempt ???Is this true ??

I have a wife  and a retirement visa but Im stuck in UK  and no way to return anyway  , UK embassy not issueing COE   and no flights anyway

19 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

I have just seen a report from Thai Immigration in The Nation that all foreigners on temp stay or extended Visas must leave Thailand by Sept 31st and that Thai immigration plan to  revoke all  Business , employment, study   and retirement visas soon after ?    Only those on Spuse or medical  are exempt ???Is this true ??

Link please.

I can find no such report on the Nation to confirm your statement.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

have just seen a report from Thai Immigration in The Nation that all foreigners on temp stay or extended Visas must leave Thailand by Sept 31st

There is only 30 days in September.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

quot from linked page ''Those foreigners with a 90 days non-immigrant visa (for example, type B for business/employment or type O for family or type Ed for student status) who wish to stay beyond September 26 will need to appear at their immigration office between now and then with their weighty and relevant documentation under their arm to apply for a fresh visa. Again, decisions will be made on a case by case basis.''

so will this group be getting fresh visa's or will they only get extensions that they are eligible for.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

1. They have done them during the amnesty before.

2. It would be close since you must have 15 days remaining on your 30 day extension to apply for the visa. But some offices want 21 days.

3. Insurance is not required. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the day you apply for the the visa or proof of 65k baht income.

Requirement for the visa application is here: http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

4. Others have been able to open an account with a tourist visa entry. You have to try different banks and different branches of the same bank.

5. Having the account would make no difference when applying for the extension.

Thank you ubonjoe!  Very helpful.

1 hour ago, stoicccc said:

I'm going to the Chachoengsao IO on Friday to ask about my situation:
-NON-O ME based on Thai spouse, visa expiry Dec 2020

-60day extension used, expired June 2nd

-now on amnesty obviously

Asking them:
-Can I apply now for 1-year extension?

-If not, what are my other options? Another 60 days? New visa? (I realize these have been no-gos, but perhaps they bend some rules)

If anyone is in a similar situation, please post experiences what has been possible at IOs on this forum, how the issue has been resolved. If it has been resolved at all.

I'm in a similar situation my last border bounce was in late October 2019 and 60 day extension expired in March,I went into Yasothon Imm last Monday to inquire and was told I had to leave Thailand as my visa has expired and I can't apply for 1 year extension or any extension.As that was before the extension of the amnesty I will be going in again on Wednesday to try again but I hold little hope it will be resolved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

26th September is a Saturday, so the last day you could apply for the 30 day extension would be Friday 25th.

25th counts as day 1 of the extension, therefore your 30 days will expire on 24th Oct.

You must be 50 to apply for the Non O and have at least 15 days of permission of stay left from the 30 day extension.

Unfortunately your 3 days short, unless your Immigration office cut you some slack on the basis you would be 50 by the time they approve and issue your Non O.

Hmm, I'm not sure.  The information card from immigration says that the extensions are valid from 27 Sept to 27 October.  So As they say, it is to reduce overcrowding.  I guess they realize that if they don't do this, then everyone will wait until that last day to apply so they get the most out of 30 days!

Plus, I think that is how normal 30 day extension on METV/TV works in past.

https://www.immigration.go.th/?avada_portfolio=ครม-เห็นชอบร่างประกาศ-มท

image.png.17e7ed26d5c4735f82ca30f02d7834a1.png

27 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

The information card from immigration says that the extensions are valid from 27 Sept to 27 October. 

Your absolutely correct that the 30 day extension will start from 27th, being day 1 of the count, but the 26th Oct will be the last day.

You must be 50 and have at least 15 days remaining permission of stay, so your right on the borderline.

Some IO's require longer than 15 days remaining however, but you don't state which office you'd apply.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Your absolutely correct that the 30 day extension will start from 27th, being day 1 of the count, but the 26th Oct will be the last day.

You must be 50 and have at least 15 days remaining permission of stay, so your right on the borderline.

Some IO's require longer than 15 days remaining however, but you don't state which office you'd apply.

It would be Chaeng Watthana.  Hopefully they are only 15 days.

9 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I'm in a similar situation my last border bounce was in late October 2019 and 60 day extension expired in March,I went into Yasothon Imm last Monday to inquire and was told I had to leave Thailand as my visa has expired and I can't apply for 1 year extension or any extension.As that was before the extension of the amnesty I will be going in again on Wednesday to try again but I hold little hope it will be resolved.

Do keep us posted about the outcome of your enquiry at Yasothon IO.

But as mentioned already in my post #6 if your IO is not willing to accept your application for the 1-year extension of stay and having used up your 60-day extension of stay already, your only option left to long-stay in Thailand would then be to relocate to a different province with a more accomodating IO that would let you apply for the 1-year extension of stay, even while under the Amnesty.

Relocating would require a rental contract for a place in that other province, and with that rental contract do your TM30 (or TM27) change of address at the local IO of that province.

Note that physically relocating is not required, if you prefer staying in your present place, but you might need to be there during the 'under consideration' period during which your local IO might visit your place, to check whether you are actually 'living' there.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I think immigration forgot to look at their calendar when they wrote the announcement since the 26th is a Saturday.

Normally if your permit to stay ends when they are closed you can go on the first day they are open and not be fined for an overstay when you apply for an extension.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think immigration forgot to look at their calendar when they wrote the announcement since the 26th is a Saturday.

Normally if your permit to stay ends when they are closed you can go on the first day they are open and not be fined for an overstay when you apply for an extension.

If they all follow the notification and date all 30 day extensions starting from Sun 27th Sept, then that permit to stay will end on Monday 26th October.

They appear to have used the start date of the amnesty, March 26th, as a reference point.

40 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If they all follow the notification and date all 30 day extensions starting from Sun 27th Sept, then that permit to stay will end on Monday 26th October.

Reading the announcement they said the 27th to encourage people to apply very early for the extensions.

If a person applied on the 28th it would normally start on the 29th.

41 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

They appear to have used the start date of the amnesty, March 26th, as a reference point.

That is when the extended ministerial notice went into effect which is when the emergency decree started.

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Do keep us posted about the outcome of your enquiry at Yasothon IO.

But as mentioned already in my post #6 if your IO is not willing to accept your application for the 1-year extension of stay and having used up your 60-day extension of stay already, your only option left to long-stay in Thailand would then be to relocate to a different province with a more accomodating IO that would let you apply for the 1-year extension of stay, even while under the Amnesty.

Relocating would require a rental contract for a place in that other province, and with that rental contract do your TM30 (or TM27) change of address at the local IO of that province.

Note that physically relocating is not required, if you prefer staying in your present place, but you might need to be there during the 'under consideration' period during which your local IO might visit your place, to check whether you are actually 'living' there.

Thanks peter.I have thought of other options like the agent option as well as simply overstay and also the "put me in jail" option.I will consider all options and their cost effectiveness.We do have a condo in Bangkok that could be used for the alternate address which is currently rented to our daughter's friend.

I find the put me in jail option quite tempting to test their resolve and is also more appealing than returning to Oz and forking out large sums of money for quarantine etc.There is also the embassy letter option as I've seen a post that said the Oz embassy has already said they will willingly supply the letter. 

18 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I see what you say.  Back in 2018 I had a 60 day TV.  It was to expire on 17 Oct.  I went to CW and got 30 day extension a few days before it expired.  Extension said 16 Nov.   If I do the same calculation on the 27 Sept, it ends on 26 October, so 1 day short!  

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Reading the announcement they said the 27th to encourage people to apply very early for the extensions.

If a person applied on the 28th it would normally start on the 29th.

That is when the extended ministerial notice went into effect which is when the emergency decree started.

This is a good idea.  I have amnesty now to 26 Sept.  Or maybe not amnesty but grace period?  If it is okay to apply on 28 Sept because 26 Sept is a weekend, then it should be okay to 28 Oct.  But then again immigration may say no to 30 days because I did not apply during amnesty/grace period.  I guess there are never easy answers with immigration issues!

I will set up the bank account and put funds in and then talk to an agent about helping with the rest.

I have seen on two agent sites that it is ok to put funds in a foreign branch as foreign currency and keep it there, not convert to baht here.  So I can put 800,000 equivalent of bath in US dollars in Bangkok Bank New York branch.  (I would put 900,000 to be safe.)  Anyone know if this is right?  What are problems of doing this?  It would save a bad currency exchange rate and feel safer if it is in US.

Thank you again!