Good explanation of New extension to Amnesty

5 hours ago, cheddarburger said:

I have seen on two agent sites that it is ok to put funds in a foreign branch as foreign currency and keep it there, not convert to baht here.  So I can put 800,000 equivalent of bath in US dollars in Bangkok Bank New York branch.  (I would put 900,000 to be safe.)  Anyone know if this is right?  What are problems of doing this?  It would save a bad currency exchange rate and feel safer if it is in US.

Immigration will accept a foreign currency deposit account at a Thai bank. But some odd offices might not accept them since they are not familiar with them.

When applying for the visa or the one year extension the bank will need to write a letter stating you balance in baht based upon the exchange rate for the day it is written.

On 7/26/2020 at 5:53 PM, phungo said:

These new visas will all the dated from September 27, presumably for three months in most cases. Best of luck."

Is this way off? what 3 months visa are they talking about?

Again, "visa" and "extension of stay" terminology get intertwined. What logic would dictate (yes, even Immigration sometimes has logic) is that, what's being offered is an artificial border hop, whereupon you'll magically get a permission of stay stamp for 90 days, beginning Sept 27 -- as if you re-entered Thailand on Sept 27 with a valid Non Imm O ME visa. Whether or not you actually still have to have a valid Non Imm O ME visa to do this artificial border hop -- is a good question. I would say "no," that this 90 day permission of stay is for all those whose 90 day permissions of stay, based on Non Imm visas, ran out during the amnesty periods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

The fact that he mixes Visa and Extensions of Stay, is already tell-tale that he is not well-informed.

Unfortunately, even Immigration and the Embassies use these terms interchangeably --to the confusion of all. No, it just seems logical that for all the folks here with lapsed permissions of stay due to ME visas, that are normally serviced by out and in border trips (same day, one month, whatever) -- that an artificial border run would be a fairly simple solution. We'll see.

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Quick question, regarding land borders. Are you totally closed or is there still some foot traffic?

Could a Cambodian or Lao national freely return home from Thailand to Cambodia/Laos through a land border?

They have to arrange their entries in advance and they are considered a repatriation.

The have opened a few borders for local traders to enter and leave on the same day.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

There is no artificial border hop being offered.  That's pure speculation from the writer of the article.  The fact that he mixes Visa and Extensions of Stay, is already tell-tale that he is not well-informed.

I think you will find the author of the article,is for more informed an Visa issues,than most posters on this forum.

Barry Kenyon, a Liverpudlian by birth, has lived in Thailand for 20 years. For much of the time he was the British embassy's Pattaya officer.

58 minutes ago, NamH2O said:

I think you will find the author of the article,is for more informed an Visa issues,than most posters on this forum.

Barry Kenyon, a Liverpudlian by birth, has lived in Thailand for 20 years. For much of the time he was the British embassy's Pattaya officer.

Well obviously not in this case.

It is not a Visa amnesty, Visas cannot be extended.

The amnesty has extended foreigners 'temporary permission of stay'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NamH2O said:

He mentioned the artificial border-hop as a possible option to solve the problem of ME Non Imm O Visa holders whose 90-day permission to stay obviously already expired.

So I reacted to a poster that took that suggestion as 'in the pipeline'.  I don't see that happening (but that's speculation from my side)

I rather think Immigration sees it as an opportunity to force these ME Non Imm O Visa holders to apply for a 1-year extension of stay based on their Non Imm O Visa.

Once again speculation from my side as thai Immigration works in mysterious ways (and communicates about it in even more fluid multi-interpretable ways).

• Like 1

Has the official minutes of the July 21 Cabinet meeting been published in the Royal Gazette regarding the new amnesty extension?

If not, then all printed info from newspapers (Bangkok Post, The Nation, Pattaya paper) is unofficial.

Edited by marvin1950
additional

To cheddarburger: I am in a similar situation to yours and asked immigration directly today if an early long-stay application is possible. They were very clear: No. You have to be 50+ a day in order to apply. You also need a valid visa or a slip of paper from immigration in order to open a bank account. That means if you're on amnesty, you need to be 50 plus 2 months in order to park the required 800k, unless the option with an international branch of Bangkok Bank works.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RaduAlex said:

To cheddarburger: I am in a similar situation to yours and asked immigration directly today if an early long-stay application is possible. They were very clear: No. You have to be 50+ a day in order to apply. You also need a valid visa or a slip of paper from immigration in order to open a bank account. That means if you're on amnesty, you need to be 50 plus 2 months in order to park the required 800k, unless the option with an international branch of Bangkok Bank works.

I gave your report a 'Like' instead of a 'Thanks' because you did not mention which IO will not accept an application for a Non Imm O Visa/extension for reason of retirement when just a few days short on 50 years.  So the info is not useful as the 50+ is 'standard practice'.

According to UJ some IOs will accept them if it's just a matter of days and if these would fall into your 'under consideration period' when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:18 PM, liddelljohn said:

I have just seen a report from Thai Immigration in The Nation that all foreigners on temp stay or extended Visas must leave Thailand by Sept 31st and that Thai immigration plan to  revoke all  Business , employment, study   and retirement visas soon after ?    Only those on Spuse or medical  are exempt ???Is this true ??

I have a wife  and a retirement visa but Im stuck in UK  and no way to return anyway  , UK embassy not issueing COE   and no flights anyway

The date is September 26,nothing else.

"in The Nation that all foreigners on temp stay or extended Visas must leave Thailand by Sept 31st and that Thai immigration plan to  revoke all  Business , employment, study   and retirement visas soon after?"

When did The Nation write this? 

1 hour ago, RaduAlex said:

"You also need a valid visa or a slip of paper from immigration in order to open a bank account."

This is not entirely correct. Several bank branches are ok with a tourist visa, some prefers the customer to be retired being on an extension. Everything depends on which bank or branch you go to. There's no "slip" from immigration. I guess you're thinking about a "Resident Certificate".  With a RC + passport you can open an account very easily at Bangkok Bank. That is one of their official requirements. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

we've had virtual conferences, virtual festivals and virtual tours.

i think now is the time for the... Virtual Border Run!!

I agree. I applied and received my present VISA [Non-Imm O-A] entirely through the mail - obviously from within my home country.  My extension coming up in October could (if they really wanted to) be performed from the comfort of my house here in Thailand...the foot traffic is entirely unnecessary!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mosan said:

I agree. I applied and received my present VISA [Non-Imm O-A] entirely through the mail - obviously from within my home country.  My extension coming up in October could (if they really wanted to) be performed from the comfort of my house here in Thailand...the foot traffic is entirely unnecessary!

"My extension coming up in October could (if they really wanted to) be performed from the comfort of my house here in Thailand...the foot traffic is entirely unnecessary!"

Name one country in the world where it's possible to extend a permission to stay 1 year online? One of the reasons for the required visit to the immigration office is that they want to see the actual person. That requirement is quite logical. 

55 minutes ago, Caldera said:

If Thai immigration had wanted to facilitate "virtual border runs", they could have simply used Don Mueang's international terminal for that purpose. It's just sitting there unused anyway. They've got all the stamps and terminals - just sell a queue ticket to be shown instead of a boarding pass and send people on a round-trip through the terminal from departure immigration back to arrivals. Easy to reach from both Bangkok and from anywhere in Thailand via domestic flights. It could have been a nice little earner.

As that hasn't been done, the only sensible conclusion is that they have no interest in allowing ME visa holders to do something like this. At this point, I think there's no hope that this will change.

Good thinking though ????

On 7/26/2020 at 8:06 PM, stoicccc said:

I'm going to the Chachoengsao IO on Friday to ask about my situation:
-NON-O ME based on Thai spouse, visa expiry Dec 2020

-60day extension used, expired June 2nd

-now on amnesty obviously

Asking them:
-Can I apply now for 1-year extension?

-If not, what are my other options? Another 60 days? New visa? (I realize these have been no-gos, but perhaps they bend some rules)

If anyone is in a similar situation, please post experiences what has been possible at IOs on this forum, how the issue has been resolved. If it has been resolved at all.

@stoicccccould you provide an update on your trip? Im in a similar boat and very curious for the answers to your questions.

On 7/29/2020 at 12:19 PM, Max69xl said:

"You also need a valid visa or a slip of paper from immigration in order to open a bank account."

This is not entirely correct. Several bank branches are ok with a tourist visa, some prefers the customer to be retired being on an extension. Everything depends on which bank or branch you go to. There's no "slip" from immigration. I guess you're thinking about a "Resident Certificate".  With a RC + passport you can open an account very easily at Bangkok Bank. That is one of their official requirements. 

I was told that in order to open a bank account ON AMNESTY, that is to say - no valid visa, as I wrote - , you need a confirmation from immigration that the account is for an application process. That's my province, though - I can only report what I am told at the place where I live.

14 hours ago, phungo said:

@stoicccccould you provide an update on your trip? Im in a similar boat and very curious for the answers to your questions.

Wife called Chachoengsao IO and they said "yes, you can extend one year. Don't worry so much, it's not so strict now."

I have a feeling that there was some misunderstanding, but I will find out in a couple of weeks when I go to apply. Waiting to get an income letter from my employer(s) that I can then get certified at the Embassy. Also hedging with two 40k+ FFT transfers in July and August. Let's see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RaduAlex said:

I was told that in order to open a bank account ON AMNESTY, that is to say - no valid visa, as I wrote - , you need a confirmation from immigration that the account is for an application process. That's my province, though - I can only report what I am told at the place where I live.

It sounds like a misunderstanding. Have you asked if you can get a Resident Certificate at immigration? Bangkok Bank normally never asks for a "valid visa" when using a RC. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 1:13 PM, Caldera said:

If Thai immigration had wanted to facilitate "virtual border runs", they could have simply used Don Mueang's international terminal for that purpose. It's just sitting there unused anyway. They've got all the stamps and terminals - just sell a queue ticket to be shown instead of a boarding pass and send people on a round-trip through the terminal from departure immigration back to arrivals. Easy to reach from both Bangkok and from anywhere in Thailand via domestic flights. It could have been a nice little earner.

As that hasn't been done, the only sensible conclusion is that they have no interest in allowing ME visa holders to do something like this. At this point, I think there's no hope that this will change.

Maybe they can learn to provide this airport tour and issue visa at the end of the tour. ????

https://pressinsiderdaily.com/2020/06/taiwan-airport-offers-a-fake-overseas-tour-airport-amid-the-covid-19-pandemic/

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, ubonjoe said:

Immigration will accept a foreign currency deposit account at a Thai bank. But some odd offices might not accept them since they are not familiar with them.

When applying for the visa or the one year extension the bank will need to write a letter stating you balance in baht based upon the exchange rate for the day it is written.

Thank you Ubonjoe.  I have decided to be extra safe and will put money here in Thailand.  Bangkok Bank said I can put money into a fixed term CD here in Thailand and that is fine with immigration.  I am okay to do this as I can earn a little more interest.  I plan to leave money in and never use it for anything except getting letter for immigration each year to extend permission of stay!

Do you know if it is okay with immigration to keep in CD?

On 7/28/2020 at 10:43 PM, RaduAlex said:

Thank you RaduAlex.  I was able to open Thai Bank account at Bangkok Bank.  Here is what happened:

I tried many different banks and locations.  Bangkok Bank said they need reference letter from bank in home country or a certified copy of my passport - certified by embassy as being real.  I tried to get appointment with embassy. 

While I wait for appointment, I got a "Bank Account Verification Letter" from my bank in home country that shows my name, address, and how long I have account with bank, average balance last 3 months.....  (To be clear, this is not a normal bank statement.  It is like this: https://www.am22tech.com/bank-account-verification-letter-for-visa-or-immigration/ )  My bank addressed the letter to Bangkok Bank and they sent it by fax to friend back home.  He scan it and email to me.

Bangkok Bank say this letter not normally acceptable, but they said they do an exception.  Now I am waiting for funds to arrive in Thailand.

So to any one else in same situation, it is possible to open bank account on tourist visa that is extended by amnesty!  Just keep trying different locations and always with a smile and friendliness.  Everyone has rules they have to follow - even rules that seem silly - and making effort to try to meet their rules can help them to help you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

Thank you Ubonjoe.  I have decided to be extra safe and will put money here in Thailand.  Bangkok Bank said I can put money into a fixed term CD here in Thailand and that is fine with immigration.  I am okay to do this as I can earn a little more interest.  I plan to leave money in and never use it for anything except getting letter for immigration each year to extend permission of stay!

Do you know if it is okay with immigration to keep in CD?

Thank you RaduAlex.  I was able to open Thai Bank account at Bangkok Bank.  Here is what happened:

I tried many different banks and locations.  Bangkok Bank said they need reference letter from bank in home country or a certified copy of my passport - certified by embassy as being real.  I tried to get appointment with embassy. 

While I wait for appointment, I got a "Bank Account Verification Letter" from my bank in home country that shows my name, address, and how long I have account with bank, average balance last 3 months.....  (To be clear, this is not a normal bank statement.  It is like this: https://www.am22tech.com/bank-account-verification-letter-for-visa-or-immigration/ )  My bank addressed the letter to Bangkok Bank and they sent it by fax to friend back home.  He scan it and email to me.

Bangkok Bank say this letter not normally acceptable, but they said they do an exception.  Now I am waiting for funds to arrive in Thailand.

So to any one else in same situation, it is possible to open bank account on tourist visa that is extended by amnesty!  Just keep trying different locations and always with a smile and friendliness.  Everyone has rules they have to follow - even rules that seem silly - and making effort to try to meet their rules can help them to help you.

The by far easiest way to open an account at Bangkok Bank is using a Resident Certificate from the local immigration office. It's one of the accepted documents together with the passport which is also stated in the list of requirements at their website (in English). 

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The by far easiest way to open an account at Bangkok Bank is using a Resident Certificate from the local immigration office. It's one of the accepted documents together with the passport which is also stated in the list of requirements at their website (in English). 

Can people get it with tourist visa?  I think Bangkok Bank only allow for people with permanent residence.  Also, I look up requirements to get this certificate and many papers needed with long trip to CW Immigration and long lines. Lucky I did not need to go this way!  But it is a good idea to try if no other option.

36 minutes ago, cheddarburger said:

Can people get it with tourist visa?  I think Bangkok Bank only allow for people with permanent residence.  Also, I look up requirements to get this certificate and many papers needed with long trip to CW Immigration and long lines. Lucky I did not need to go this way!  But it is a good idea to try if no other option.

FYI, a permanent resident is not a person on 1 year extensions  = a long stayer. Bangkok Bangkok Bank is officially the only bank where a foreigner even a tourist can open a savings account without a wp with correct documents. Every bank has a website in English with the requirements needed. Last year several banks changed their "official" requirements stating foreigners can't even open a savings account. I think Bangkok Bank together with Kasikorn Bank have most foreigners as customers. 

Edited by Max69xl