Shipping and Customs Clearance

I appreciate this might be the wrong forum to post - maybe someone can direct me to a more appropriate forum? I’m relocating to Thailand and in the process of organizing a container of household items (furniture, household goods, electronic goods, clothing, etc.) to be shipped door-to-door for arrival in three month's time. Does anyone have any guidance or advice about minimizing customs duties and clearance fees? I shipped furniture (just a sofa and a couple of arm chairs) out from the UK last year as a trial run, and it arrived safely, with a ThB 4,500 customs and clearance fee. As this time it’s a container load I just want to make sure I avoid as much as possible any pitfalls. Thanks in advance.

Great, thanks Pib....my first port of call. Any idea about customs exemptions and my residence status? I’m unlikely to be able enter Thailand until the new year (can’t see current restrictions being lifted before then) and will come in on 30 day visa exempt tourist entry, before converting to OA non-immigrant then retirement extension of stay (I think those are the steps). Meanwhile expect shipping to arrive Oct/Nov.

A lot depends on how clearly you identify the items you are shipping as "2nd hand Household Goods and the shipping receiving agent" who will interface with Thai customs.   Not being here for the shipment's arrival and not have a long term visa may work against you as Thai customs may take the position you are not taking up long term residence in Thailand....just shipping a bunch of stuff to resell in Thailand.  

Hello,

Sorry for the bump on the OP's topic but I am currently in Vietnam, planning to get to BKK to be with my spouse.

I need to ship mostly personal used clothes and shoes, (around 45 kg) ahead so I can lighten my travels on any available repatriation flight that may be available in the future.

From my research, I should use the local post office for this and not DHL or some other courier service.

On the link in this post, seems to mention a lot of info on 'household effects' but not the 'personal effects' which is what I need in my case.

Can anyone with info advise on what are the correct procedure to follow to not get taxed on my clothes and shoes?

Thanks.