To get visa must have bank account to get bank account must be here for more than 90 days??? I went to the bank where my wife has had her account at for years. We ask about addding me to my account they told me I must be in country for 90days and have a letter from my embassy saying I now live here. Now if I understand correctly I must have an account here in order to get a visa and to stay here over 90 days I must have a visa. Now am I in a loop or can someone tell me how to get through this. Normally I would not worry as I am out of the country after just about a month but my wife wanted to have our baby here so I took a leave from my job. Now the baby is due in late July so I will need to be here until at least August can some one help?

To get visa must have bank account to get bank account must be here for more than 90 days??? I went to the bank where my wife has had her account at for years. We ask about addding me to my account they told me I must be in country for 90days and have a letter from my embassy saying I now live here. Now if I understand correctly I must have an account here in order to get a visa and to stay here over 90 days I must have a visa. Now am I in a loop or can someone tell me how to get through this. Normally I would not worry as I am out of the country after just about a month but my wife wanted to have our baby here so I took a leave from my job. Now the baby is due in late July so I will need to be here until at least August can some one help?

You are obviously working with the wong bank!   There are only 3 really farang friendly banks in Thailand:

Bangkok Bank (Tooooo big)

Kasikorn (ex Thai Farmers Bank)

Siam Commercial Bank (SCB)

A very senior official at Siam Commercial Bank told me recently that it was policy to welcome farang business and no they did not want a work permit!

I have opened bank accounts at SCB on several occassions in branches that I have no connection with and the people speak English and welcomed my business.

I would suggest that you use a copy of your Thai marriage certificate or a utility bill (internet invoice) and this may get you in the door if they require an address.

Each bank is a kingdom and the king of that branch is the manager and if he doesn't want you to open an account there, there is nothing you can do to make him do it.  

Just try another bank or branch!

Badbanker

Last week I opened accounts at Kassakorn Bank and Bank of Ayyudiya....O visa, Bangkok bank turned me down and I was standing there having just been handed 1,000,000b by a Thai. They said I needed a WP. Well they do not have my business.

Edited by old wanderer

Everything they said ^^^

Plus, assuming your wife is Thai (why else would she want to have your child here?) you don't need a bank account to get a visa. You can nip down to KL and get a multi-entry non-immigrant class O visa with just your marriage certificate (plus copies), copies of wifeys ID and house registration (make sure she signs the copies) and 500 Ringit (5000 Baht), no financial requirement at last report.

You DO need a bank account if you want to do extensions of stay based on your marriage, but that's not the issue just now.

Good luck with the youngster, I wish you all well :o:D

Siam Commercial is the way to go.

I opened mine, albeit (first time i've even written that!!) 4 years ago with just my passport. All my friends are with the same. Joined recently too.

12 months of regularly paying in (25k/month) and i got a visa too. (the plastic sort)

Be aware of silly small charges every time you dont use your own branch.

Last week I opened accounts at Kassakorn Bank and Bank of Ayyudiya....O visa, Bangkok bank turned me down and I was standing there having just been handed 1,000,000b by a Thai. They said I needed a WP. Well they do not have my business.

THis amount of cash WILL raise red flags and was the reason you got denied to open a bank account with Bangkok Bank.  Remember they have to report your 1 million baht CASH deposit to the Central Bank and it WILL make things difficult for them, something no reasonable banker will consider!

Lets be intelligent about banking!  Right! When you open an account deposit 100,000 baht cash and once you have got the account opened deposit 100,000 baht cash through their lovely cash depost machines that do not require human intervention.  Depositing 100,000 every couple of days is normal and will not cause you pain or red flags in the system.

Walking into a bank to open an account with a large amount of cash will only impress them that you are a dangerous person to do busimess with and of course they will refuse to work with you on this!

Happy banking

Badbanker

Kasikorn (ex Thai Farmers Bank)

I think you will find Kasikorn is the word for Farmer.

The thai's always called it Kasikorn bank long before the change in the English name.

Must be different cities different rules

Got my Bangkok Bank account without request to see a visa in Sept. last year with no problems.

Then my 90 day non O based on supporting thai (marriage) in Vientiane in Jan. without being asked about a bank account.

And my 1 year non O in Chiang mai in April again without being asked about a bank account.

Glad i am here in C.M. everything was so easy

But why so different ??? :o

Edited by princealbert