Is it not possible to send a picture from a phone anymore without Internet connection

Felt 35

I bought me recently a small Samsung Galaxy A01 and before I speculate more I should maybe say that I have no interests of todays phone tech and all the things they can be used for but my old Samsung bought in Europe 10-12 years ago needed following my better half a replacement to could be used daily in Thailand and one thing I had hoped for was to send/receive a picture now and then to relatives in Europe and also receive pictures from my better half who have a bit more active/ social lifestyle than I have. However I'm very disappointed (no the phone is excellent) that I not can send /receive a picture and worst of all Dtac says I have to be connected to Internet to do so Tell me I'm wrong  but think I see where this leading you have to be a postpaid subscriber to your phone/sim provider. For the technical people, is it so.......?

Thanks

Felt

Edited by metisdead
Removed insulting comment.

did you try using the messaging/SMS using the SIM card that does it for me, no need for internet.... just out of curiosity how did you send photos using your old phone, whatever works then,  should work as well now

As OneMoreFarang stated, like using SMS (Simple Messaging Service), used to send text messages to other phone users, your phone account needs to be capable of, the phone configured for, and enabled for MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) to send multimedia type files to other phone users.

This is really old and slow technology, and still carries extra charges to use by most mobile carriers. 

No, your don't need a postpaid contract nor anything convoluted to be able to send and receive pics.

It is actually cheaper to use a 4G data connection as opposed to GPRS or similar to send and receive pictures. Much faster an more convenient for everyone concerned.

If you don't, you'll be utilising MMS at 5 baht per message and not everyone may receive your messages.

Better for you to apply a data pack to your existing SIM account.

First step would be to apply credit to your SIM account. At least 40 baht. Once done, tap in *103*55*9# and then hit the Dial key.

This will apply an 'always on' data package for 30 baht. The speed is only 64 kbps. Not good for sending pics, but will allow you to have an 'always on' data connection in so that you never get charged for data unless you choose to purchase it.

The 64 kbps connection will allow you to send text msgs via chat applications and emails without pictures, so you can communicate for free via WhatsApp and the like.

If you want to send pics on a particular day, you can apply a day pack(or for  longer period) for under 10 baht, which will allow you to send many pics over a 24 hour period. *104*851*9# for the 24 hour pack with 100MB of data.

2 hours ago, metisdead said:

A derogatory slang comment was removed from the opening post and replaced with a friendlier version.  

A number of posts were removed,  let's start over. 

Is it really so hopeless sad people visiting/post derogatory comments when one ask a simple question about a phone. Poor souls.

Felt 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

did you try using the messaging/SMS using the SIM card that does it for me, no need for internet.... just out of curiosity how did you send photos using your old phone, whatever works then,  should work as well now

Thanks for replying. I have always did as you describe above. Never connected to Internet. 

Felt

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

As OneMoreFarang stated, like using SMS (Simple Messaging Service), used to send text messages to other phone users, your phone account needs to be capable of, the phone configured for, and enabled for MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) to send multimedia type files to other phone users.

This is really old and slow technology, and still carries extra charges to use by most mobile carriers. 

Thank you. I thought the phone would handle any message but maybe its to basic to send MMS with. Will check specifications and contact Dtac for more information and if necessary help to change some settings.

Felt.

Edited by Felt 35

27 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Is it really so hopeless sad people visiting/post derogatory comments when one ask a simple question about a phone. Poor souls.

Felt 

Actually he was referring to a derogatory comment that you included in your original post. You might note that your original post has been edited. So don't be so quick to accuse others. ???? 

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Thank you. I thought the phone would handle any message but maybe its to basic to send MMS with. Will check specifications and contact Dtac for more information and if necessary help to change some settings.

Felt.

No. Nothing to do with your phone and better for you to not use MMS, as others may not receive them. Most use chat applications or email to send pics. For that you need to add a data package or pay by MB.

Easy to set up. But you'll need to give more info as to whom you might send pics and in which way they can receive them.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Actually he was referring to a derogatory comment that you included in your original post. You might note that your original post has been edited. So don't be so quick to accuse others. ???? 

Well then I apologize but English is not my native language and if tech Nerd is derogatory then this is how we see a Nerd where I have my roots: A nerd is a person with a special area of interest who also have above-average knowledge/interest and understanding in this area.

Felt

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

No. Nothing to do with your phone and better for you to not use MMS, as others may not receive them. Most use chat applications or email to send pics. For that you need to add a data package or pay by MB.

Easy to set up. But you'll need to give more info as to whom you might send pics and in which way they can receive them.

So why is as described by another poster not possible anymore to do as this "did you try using the messaging/SMS using the SIM card that does it for me, no need for internet.... just out of curiosity how did you send photos using your old phone, whatever works then,  should work as well now"

I did similar until approximate 1-3 years ago both from and to Europe with my old Samsung. Last time is approximately two years ago sending a picture of new passport to my bank abroad!

Felt

8 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Well then I apologize but English is not my native language and if tech Nerd is derogatory then this is how we see a Nerd where I have my roots: A nerd is a person with a special area of interest who also have above-average knowledge/interest and understanding in this area.

Felt

But there was no need to utilise such an expression at all. First language or not. Would you call your Doctor or your dentist a Nerd? Of course not. Because it would be insulting.

Perhaps the people advising have a normal level of knowledge with your level being sub-normal.

We don't know. Either way, not a nice way to ask for help, buy insulting the very people who might help.

Anyway, let's move on. You have all the information that you need to move forward.

2 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

So why is as described by another poster not possible anymore to do as this "did you try using the messaging/SMS using the SIM card that does it for me, no need for internet.... just out of curiosity how did you send photos using your old phone, whatever works then,  should work as well now"

I did similar until approximate 1-3 years ago both from and to Europe with my old Samsung. Last time is approximately two years ago sending a picture of new passport to my bank abroad!

Felt

Yes, you can use MMS to send pictures, but the other party will also need MMS to have MMS enabled to receive them. It is also a very slow method.

So just add the data pack as suggested to make life easier for yourself and perhaps open up new avenues of communication for yourself.

23 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

So why is as described by another poster not possible anymore to do as this

MMS is a dying protocol. While it may work now there's no guarantee it will continue to work in the future.

SMS / MMS predates 2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, 5G, etc, etc, data technologies, and mobile providers have already shut down the the ability to continue using 2G, and many have already moved to removed 3G to make way for the faster & more robust newer protocols.

Another issue using MMS are security vulnerabilities, many users are warned to ignore or turn off MMS as hackers have found ways of bricking or taking over phones by sending them carefully crafted MMS messages.

You might get it working, just don't expect it to always work, work with everyone, or one day having the local phone provider stop the service.

Edited by RichCor
replace 'later' with 'newer'

10 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Thanks. Will have to check this out. Btw, for all I know maybe the phone not are to use for MMS!

Felt

MMS = SMS with Pictures. It's the same function on every phone like Messaging.

If you just write text it's a SMS, if you send a picture is a MMS.

For the user is looks pretty much the same but they use different technologies and different setting.

But I don't think there is any phone out there without MMS - at least in the last 20 years or so.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

MMS = SMS with Pictures. It's the same function on every phone like Messaging.

If you just write text it's a SMS, if you send a picture is a MMS.

For the user is looks pretty much the same but they use different technologies and different setting.

But I don't think there is any phone out there without MMS - at least in the last 20 years or so.

Seriously, don't encourage the MMS route. It's a route to nowhere.

MMS setting: What is the highest capacity (KB) of a mobile to send and receive MMS ?

You can receive – send not more than 650 kb per MMS within dtac network and not more than 500 kb to AIS, 300 kb to Truemove (including picture, voice, message and video clip). However, it also depends on the phone models of sender and receiver.

So pictures may have to be reduced in size before attempts at sending. As to whether it will send abroad and the cost involved, I don't know.

Perhaps better to help the OP to understand how things work best currently.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Originally derogatory, the term "nerd" was a stereotype, but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd

If you are claiming it with pride as your identity then more power to you. He can use it when he wants to describe you. 

But that doesn't mean that it is acceptable generally. I'm sure that you did not miss "redefined by some".

There are many words that people use to describe each other, that are not acceptable for general usage.

Out of interest, have you posted anything in relation to the topic or have every single one of your posts been off-topic and argumentative?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

But there was no need to utilise such an expression at all. First language or not. Would you call your Doctor or your dentist a Nerd? Of course not. Because it would be insulting.

Perhaps the people advising have a normal level of knowledge with your level being sub-normal.

We don't know. Either way, not a nice way to ask for help, buy insulting the very people who might help.

Anyway, let's move on. You have all the information that you need to move forward.

Sure I'm sub normal in most fields and actually (was) only a Nerd in one specific area, a sports hobby. However Im not moving either forward an backwards due to a question about sending a picture with a new phone. We talk about sending /receive a picture now and then which was possible without spending time and money on add on packages or Internet connections, its not possible any more, ok fine. ???? Subject closed.

Edited by Felt 35

17 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

Sure I'm sub normal in most fields and actually (was) only a Nerd in one specific area, a sports hobby. However Im not moving either forward an backwards due to a question about sending a picture with a new phone. We talk about sending /receive a picture now and then which was possible without spending time and money on add on packages or Internet connections, its not possible any more, ok fine. ???? Subject closed.

No one stated that it wasn't possible. This forum is infamous for people not listening to advice unless it conforms exactly to what they already think. Learning something new is anathema to many.

You ALWAYS needed an Internet connection to send your pictures and paid for it. In those times it was GSM/GPRS. You still had to set your old phone up for an Internet connection, albeit GPRS. But over the years things improved. The difference is that we now use a faster and cheaper kind of connection. 

Look at the speeds involved:

GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) 2G -- 9.6Kbps
GPRS (General packet radio services) 2.5G -- 35Kbps to 171kbps

EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution) 2.75G -- 120Kbps to 384Kbps
UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) 3G -- 384Kbps to 2Mbps
HSPA (software upgrade to UMTS, theoretical 42Mbps) 3.5G -- 600Kbps to 10Mbps, averages 1-3Mbps
WiMAX/LTE "4G" (theoretical 100Mbps) -- 3Mbps to 10Mbps average, 20Mbps+ peak download speeds.

So sending a 1 MB photo, if it were possible(DTAC state the picture has to be considerably smaller) utilising GPRS could take anything from one to four minutes. 

On a typical 4 Mbps mobile connection, two seconds.

So the subject may be closed to your mind, but not to anyone else reading the thread and trying to glean important information.

In Europe you can easily pay the equivalent 20 baht for sending a single low quality picture message domestically over GPRS.

Contrast that with being able to send up to 1000 pictures on a single GB 'volume' of data.

If you want to remain in the dark for the rest of your days that is up to you. But don't let it be said that we didn't show you the way to do what you stated that you wanted to do in your very first post.

one thing I had hoped for was to send/receive a picture now and then to relatives in Europe and also receive pictures from my better half who have a bit more active/ social lifestyle than I have. However I'm very disappointed (no the phone is excellent) that I not can send /receive a picture...

So no need for disappointment, as you would be paying to send over GPRS anyway. It's not free. So why the objection to paying for a faster internet connection?

I gave you the option of a single payment of 30 baht to stay connected, forever. Yet you still baulk...

It was also you would alluded that the alternative was postpaid, which was again way off the mark.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Felt 35 said:

In addition to this, you can also send and receive pictures for free using your existing Internet connection at home, via WiFi.  

So many options open to you. But it seems you are not open to any suggestions.

So perhaps best for me to draw and line under this one and to make use of the ignore list to stop me making the same mistake again.

I believe AIS and the others don't support MMS  anymore hence you won't be able to send photos unless you use LINE app or Whats app or similar , however the receiver has to have the same app on their mobile.

So you cannot send using your network provider even if you had a connection.

You cannot send via LINE app or similar unless you have either WiFi or service provider internet connection.

Edited by steven100

43 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I believe AIS and the others don't support MMS  anymore hence you won't be able to send photos unless you use LINE app or Whats app or similar , however the receiver has to have the same app on their mobile.

So you cannot send using your network provider even if you had a connection.

You cannot send via LINE app or similar unless you have either WiFi or service provider internet connection.

You can send photos/videos via email too, if the potential receiver doesn't have any communication applications installed.

Sadly, the OP doesn't seem interested in moving his knowledge and experience forward.

The phone is more than capable; https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a01-9999.php

• Like 1

OP, for MMS to function properly the phone's APN:MMS (Access Point Names : Multimedia Messaging Service) settings need to be properly configured to communicate with the wireless provider's system.

Many wireless providers will store these settings on the SIM itself, and the phone will automatically retrieve them for use. Else, if the wireless carrier is still providing the service and your subscription contract includes the service, then you can find the required setting in the providers support website or local knowledgeable phone shop can enter them for you.  

As possibly already mentioned, the DTAC website user support section contains the following for setting up MMS:

MMS setting: MMS setting on mobile through OTA.

There are 2 ways to do this.

• First method: Through web site http://vas.dtac.co.th/ota

• Second method: Through USSD

1. Press *772# from the mobile you want to set then dial.

2. will receive 1-3 SMS for setting (a number of SMS for setting depends on individual mobile detail).

3. Then save the SMS. Enter 1800 if your device requires a password.

4. After saving the setting SMS, you can enjoy EDGE/GPRS and MMS service immediately.

After you have saved OTA, restart your mobile before using MMS.

10 minutes ago, RichCor said:

OP, for MMS to function properly the phone's APN:MMS (Access Point Names : Multimedia Messaging Service) settings need to be properly configured to communicate with the wireless provider's system.

Many wireless providers will store these settings on the SIM itself, and the phone will automatically retrieve them for use. Else, if the wireless carrier is still providing the service and your subscription contract includes the service, then you can find the required setting in the providers support website or local knowledgeable phone shop can enter them for you.  

As possibly already mentioned, the DTAC website user support section contains the following for setting up MMS:

MMS setting: MMS setting on mobile through OTA.

There are 2 ways to do this.

• First method: Through web site http://vas.dtac.co.th/ota

• Second method: Through USSD

1. Press *772# from the mobile you want to set then dial.

2. will receive 1-3 SMS for setting (a number of SMS for setting depends on individual mobile detail).

3. Then save the SMS. Enter 1800 if your device requires a password.

4. After saving the setting SMS, you can enjoy EDGE/GPRS and MMS service immediately.

After you have saved OTA, restart your mobile before using MMS.

EDGE/GPRS is not free. So leaving it connected at 1 baht per minute can eat all of your credit. That's why people would disconnect from the Internet in the past.

Now of course we are used to 'always on' connections with unlimited data, in so we can leave it connected permanently without fear of the credit disappearing. How quickly we forget.

The OP is on to a hiding for nothing if he doesn't screw his ears back on and take note of the advice that I have given to him.

• Like 1