What's up with Phuket hotel prices?!

JCP108

Wife and I like to go to Kata and have gone there about five times in past three years (two in high season and three times in low). In low season at our favorite hotel, we paid 1,750 B the first time and 1,900 the next. In the high season, we paid 2,000-2,700 B. I have checked on that hotel via their direct website and the online discount booking services and the cheapest rate at that hotel for the same room is 6,000 B (the direct hotel site quotes it at 7,50). What the <deleted> is up with that? This isn't even high season and I assume there is little business. Anyone else encountered this issue in Kata or other Phuket beach locations?

I guess they are not following the orders of their commander. The governor of Phuket. I would show him the prices and ask what the <deleted> they are doing.

I guess he will have a problem with that his voice is looked at like water coming from a pipe.

Edited by Matzzon

Dunno where you’re looking but the only things I’m finding at 6k per night are the Heights and Kata Gardens 2Br units...and those were usually 15k per night in the past.  Never Even close to 1750-2700.

I’m seeing great deals myself.

• Like 1

We've been looking to spend a few days on Samui and the exact same thing (despite multiple articles about Samui being "dead") -- hotel prices absolutely sky high, particularly for the 4-5 star places.  Absurd prices under the circumstances.  However, if you are open to using AirBnB for a villa, some good bargains are available, so we are considering that route. 

Edited by eppic

14 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Chanalai Garden. Must be that chain. Chanalai Flora was always about 2,000/night and their current discounted price is 4,220.

At those prices, I’d be checking out Le Meridian up towards Patong personally at just over 3k/night or the JW Marriott for 4k.  Maybe after the recent rush of bookings things will settle back down around Kata.

35 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Chanalai Garden. Must be that chain. Chanalai Flora was always about 2,000/night and their current discounted price is 4,220.

Yeah...they’re gouging.  Here is a week in August (rainy season) vs the first week in November (much better weather.

44FAEDF6-FA64-47DB-876D-D9B9FA936F67.jpeg

DF0CD0F5-4A96-46CF-8E24-A21354AE53F6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

I booked the Ibis in Kata. We've stayed there before. Currently around 850/night. Rooms are smallish but service is good and hotel and pool nice. Good location. 

Ibis is usually my go to Hotel...great value.   Have stayed in HuaHin and Krabi locations and when I see the games being played now by the nicer resorts...I’m gonna book Ibis in Kata too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I read about this the other day... i.e. puffed up hotel prices. Something along the lines of gov wanting to only attract those who are prepared to fork out exorbitant prices.

The whole world does puff ups and then mark down in every category imaginable. 

Sounds like posters here are happy to take advantage of the situation by screwing the struggling hotels or flock to Vietnam where they are giving rooms away ????.. Can't make this stuff up 

Good luck when the commies move you out with the other 80,000 next wave with zip refund 

Edited by madmen

On 7/30/2020 at 9:38 PM, JCP108 said:

I booked the Ibis in Kata. We've stayed there before. Currently around 850/night. Rooms are smallish but service is good and hotel and pool nice. Good location. 

I've just stayed at Aspasia .... Ibis is closed 

13 hours ago, churchill said:

I've just stayed at Aspasia .... Ibis is closed 

There were some time ago many issues with aspasia due to a feud between management and owners of condos there.. Did you book direct or Airbnb or something?

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

There were some time ago many issues with aspasia due to a feud between management and owners of condos there.. Did you book direct or Airbnb or something?

New management in there now (Resava - Swedish run) and it's on all the regular online booking sites.

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2020 at 10:25 PM, JCP108 said:

Anyone else encountered this issue in Kata or other Phuket beach locations?

I encountered this in Hua Hin over the past long weekend where the hotel we usually stay at increased their rate by 85%.

I have no explanation why your is up so high, although I am assuming the 7,50 is actually 7,500 and not say 750, if it is 7,500, would definitely give that one a wide berth.

Have a look at the iBis rates a standard double or twin with breakfast is just under 1,000 baht. They have a swimming pool & onsite parking, I only use iBis hotels in Thailand, except when my recent experience showed that Hua Hin upped their rate by 85% for the long weekend, so if you stick to the usual week days they're cheap, weekends rates go up slightly, which is understandable to make up for the sluggish weekdays of the hotels being pretty much empty, but 85% for a long weekend, yeh right, not me I look for value when it comes to parting with my money as I require too rooms each time as I have 6 of us, and require the family room and a twin room.