RAID 0 troubles

Oldie

On my PC I have 3 disks in a RAID 0 array. One disk sadly shows more and more reallocated sectors. I will replace it but I don't want to restore all data - a lot of work with 6 parallel OS versions and a lot of data. Even with good backups. Alone to set up the many partitions... So my idea is to clone this bad disk to a new one and put the new one to the RAID array as replacement. Should work or not? Did anyone do something like this already? 

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Thank you for the links. But I only want to clone one disk of the 3 disks. There he clones the whole RAID array to a single disk and clones it afterwards back. I don't have 3 TB space available. And it would take a long time to clone 3 TB.

Perhaps someone did this already - replacing only 1 disk. Couldn't find anything on Google. I will try. It should work. Will re-check all my backups if they are okay and hope that the problem disk survives the stressful cloning procedure. If not I will have to work a lot to rebuild everything from backups. Did this already 2 times because other disks failed too with bad sectors before. 

Today I wouldn't build the computer like this anymore. It was high end 11 years ago. And a transfer speed of about 450 MB/s wasn't bad at this time. I needed it for video editing to move around GB of data. Today I mostly use my tablet but endless data are still stored on this computer. 

Edited by Oldie

I am not so confident anymore that it might work with cloning 1 disk. If I remember correctly INTEL raid takes the serial number of the drives as information. Could swap the boards on the HDs but this also would swap the bad sector information. What a ..... 

I do a lot of computer work including RAID and RAID0.

I don't think what you want to do will work.

What I would try to do is clone the (still working) RAID 0 array to one temporary big disk.

And then replace the bad RAID0 disk and clone it back to your RAID0.

Or, on second thought, I would replace all your complete RAID0 system with a new set of disks. Because if one fails then it's not unlikely that the others will follow soon. Do you want to take that risk?

Please report what you finally did and how it works. Maybe I and we learn something new.

42 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What I would try to do is clone the (still working) RAID 0 array to one temporary big disk.

Or, on second thought, I would replace all your complete RAID0 system with a new set of disks. Because if one fails then it's not unlikely that the others will follow soon. Do you want to take that risk?

Please report what you finally did and how it works. Maybe I and we learn something new.

I will let you know when I did it. It will take a while until I will find the motivation to spend so much time. And it might get complicated. I never forget when I installed Win 10 next to the already installed 5 OS. Obviously Microsoft didn't test this. But all my partitions were crosslinked afterwards and it took me a while to fix this. I still have a tablet, a phone and a notebook. But I will need to fix it even if I hardly use this computer anymore. But with more than 10 TB used storage in total there are important data on it. But in the end what is really important... 

I don't think now that cloning will work because of the disk serial number. Perhaps I do it the old way. Recreate the array and restore all backups. Then setup the boot manager to handle all 6 OS again. Or I forget RAID 0 and build up a system without it. I do not need the disk speed anymore since I don't do such tasks anymore. And Win 7 / 32 with the special kernel that allows you to break the 4 GB memory limitation is enough as OS. This kernel is from a Microsoft server software and works problem free. That you need a 64 Bit system to do this was always a lie... I have Win 7 / 64 installed too but some older software is a problem. Win 10 I don't like. 

On 7/31/2020 at 4:43 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

After reading this below I think cloning will work. You have to break the RAID array and rebuild it with the same RAID data. It does not care about the new disk serial number then. But I am not sure if I will continue with RAID 0 after having this problem now the 3rd time... Before I used my backups to rebuild everything. Takes very long. I have a spare disk of the same type. If I do it with a clone I will post the results here ... and then wait that I have the same problem a 4th time... 

https://blog.quindorian.org/2013/07/repair-incorrectly-reported.html/

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

But I am not sure if I will continue with RAID 0 after having this problem now the 3rd time...

Yes, that makes sense.

I had RAID0 and RAID10 many years ago because at that time double speed was a real issue.

Now I use since year SSD which are much faster than the RAID0.

And just recently I changed to one of the fastest M.2 which is again multiple times faster than the latest SSD.

I can't imagine for which setup a RAID0 would still make sense.

RAID1 is still relevant (and easy). I use that for most of my data.