Newly retired Foreign Teacher taught/lives in Thailand needs health insurance advice

Jimbone

Sorry for the vague title, but I've run into a bit of a problem.  I taught in Thailand for 10 years, retired in March and am living in Thailand with my wife. In March, we went to the Social Security office in Phetchaburi, because I wanted to continue my health insurance that I had at my school.  The person at the SS office said no problem, you just need to keep paying 450 Baht every month (after a 6 month grace period) and you will have the insurance.

Sure enough, just got back from the Social Security office and they now say, no, you must have a yellow book from our house in Surin (what if I rented???), bring it back to the SS office and then  I get the insurance. I emphasized to my wife to tell the Social Security person that I have a retirement visa, AND that this is NOT what he said in March, when he said, "Just come in, it's easy'.

Anyway, has anyone else found themselves in the same situation, or have knowledge of this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

Not sure about the yellow book requirement, but keep trying to pay into the fund. Maybe set up a D/D with them. As you say, what if you were renting. Maybe, he wants to be able to tie you down to a hospital in your area, and is asking for proof of address for that. Don't let this go, make sure you pay into it, before they withdraw after the time limit. This is your health insurance for your later years.

Just to be sure: you must continue payment into the social security within 6 months of termination of your job, not after 6 months. The yellow book requirement is non-existent. 

What you should have done is asked for him to put the reason for refusal in writing or an oficial statement explaining why he wants to see a yellow book. (But now it might be to late because of the 6 months requirement). You can also ask for help from the government helpline: 1111. They can explain the rules and if need be contact the social security office.

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out I had to get a yellow book.  Once I had that, no problem with the social security office...but without the yellow book I would not have been able to extend my gov't insurance. This was in Phetchaburi.