Why has SE Asia got off so lightly?

Guderian

56 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:
7 hours ago, farang51 said:

That the population should be somewhat immune is undermined by the many infected Thai people returning to Thailand from other countries.

You seem to draw the inference that if the population in Thailand is "somewhat immune" it is do to genetic similarity. 

No, I was commenting on the article in the first post that speculated that other earlier viruses could have caused a general immunity in the population. If that were the case, the people would be just as immune in a foreign country as in Thailand, Vietnam etc. Clearly, they are not.

47 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

If anybody has been following this closely they would have noticed that thousands of cases disappeared overnight, when they changed the format of their reports!

Do you have a source for this information?  If so, please post it.  

If masks are a thing that do actually help then that could be a reason if Thailand are adhering to that . I have been stuck in Blighty since November and even today with compulsory mask wearing in shops, people( youngsters) don’t listen . I waited outside Tesco metro for my friend to get something as I had forgot my mask. Two drunk or drugged up beggars walked up and put their masks on before entering.  Then around 5/6 students walked in with no masks! Prob the same ones who go on BLM marches and the like. The so called educated ones. <deleted> me off tbf but there you go. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Prob the same ones who go on BLM marches and the like.

Yeah...that must be it..certainly couldn't be any right wingers who decry any government mandates because we all know they wear masks everywhere

• Haha 1

My theory is 2-fold. 

1- The cases and deaths are pretty underreported, so the situation was worse. 

2- SEA has been exposed previously to a virus in the past that’s granted some form of immunity. Similar to swine flu in the states. 

Fact is that by all accounts Thailand is an anomaly, and even countries that had a handle on it are now suffering new cases. 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, tonray said:

Yeah...that must be it..certainly couldn't be any right wingers who decry any government mandates because we all know they wear masks everywhere

No def not . One was carrying a Palestinian flag and one lass had a Che Guevara t shirt on. Fit though tbf.

• Like 1

"He died of natural causes !"

Detective, "You pushed him from the 18th floor balcony !"

"Gravity is natural."

Detective, "you are correct. We will list the cause of death as COVID-19."

Link to: CDC Director: ‘I Think You’re Correct’ About Inflated COVID Death Statistics

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/washington/melanie-arter/cdc-director-i-think-youre-correct-about-inflated-covid-death

With the amount of money each hospital receives when they declare they have a COVID patient it is no wonder the numbers are out of fantasy land in the states..

29 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Posted it several times, I will try and find the files again

The reports can be found here.

I remember the drop but don't think confirmed cases disappeared. Rather, increased testing may have reduced backlogs of PUI in hospital. They had a large backlog of pending tests until April 1 at which time they stopped reporting the pending number.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scammed said:

lol, so your data is 2.3% to 13% and you round it up to 40%,

that theory is not based on the data you gathered,

you may as well not have bothered collecting data when the

premeditated conclusion divert that far

With my limited understanding of statistics I did not find anything illogical in this article.

Good you stopped reading as further on you might have been even more confused:
""

We should also stress that 40 to 60% might still be a lower bound. The daily growth rates in the number of infections when face masks were introduced was around 2 to 3%. These are very low growth rates compared to the early days of the epidemic in Germany, where daily growth rates also lay above 50% (Wälde, 2020). One might therefore conjecture that the effects might have been even greater if masks had been introduced earlier.
""

The  weakness of citing cases and deaths on any given day or even for a week, is that it is not enough time to  judge anything.  Israel and Belgium are now reporting no cases  in the WHO data bases, while Japan indicates 853 cases in the past week. This doesn't mean that Japan is in bad shape or that Belgium and Israel have the  epidemic licked.  Even if a country like Sweden spikes to 300 cases tomorrow, it will mean nothing, 

vitamin D (free, from the sun) and super high humidity (virus loves DRY / cold air, as the mucus in throat will be weakened by this)

https://www.google.com/search?q=virus+spread+and+dry+air

Dry Air May Spur Flu Outbreaks

+ no to little testing, mislabeling pneumonia ...

but hey, call me a conspiracy theorist ...I bring you fact to prove what I say...

Edited by Bender Rodriguez

18 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Plenty more dead in SEA than recorded due to no testing and village hospitals that don't perform autopsies 

So please tell where are they?

I live in the North and we are not aware of anyone amongst our extensive group of friends and contacts who have contracted Covid let alone died.

Doctors and Nurses are well aware of the symptoms of Covid and do you really believe that they would leave themselves exposed and attempt to conceal the information in some way.

I find it hard to believe that if a patient had been admitted to our local hospital displaying the symptoms at least one of the two hundred or more nurses would have spilled the beans.

Sorry that it doesn’t fit your conspiracy theory.

Just now, StevieAus said:

Doctors and Nurses are well aware of the symptoms of Covid and do you really believe that they would leave themselves exposed and attempt to conceal the information in some way.

Exposed to what?

You do what the government says if you want to live/work in Thailand.

The alternative is falling off your m/c on a deserted stretch of road one night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Stocky said:

Why?

Thailand set up the local health volunteer system, a WHO backed initiative, when HIV AIDS was the big menace. That network of volunteers has been maintained and strengthened and currently numbers over 1 million. Familiar with their local communities, and with well established lines of reporting, this network has been used to monitor for outbreaks of the virus and to conduct track and trace.

Europe should learn from it. Track/trace is their weak point plus their data protection which hampers tracking efforts. In Austria testing is voluntary. Lot of hotel staff refused and result is infections. No masks so guests can see "our smile". How dumb can you be. 

On 8/2/2020 at 5:20 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

nd then lastly, there's the unknown "it's really here, but the government isn't testing for it, and those getting sick from it aren't being identified..." -- to whatever extent that may be occurring. But personally, I'm inclined to believe if Thai hospital ICUs were overflowing with seriously ill respiratory patients and doctors and nurses were getting sick as well, some word of that would be leaking out.

You make very valid points. However, the public has not been told the story of the 115+ (?) hospitalised with Covid, some of them for months, it would seem. I'd sure like to know what's going on with those patients. It was 70 for a very long time and now has gone up. Repats?

I think better contact tracing or at least an attempt at contact tracing contrary to the USA.

I thought of this probably being prior exposure to this similar virus and also I think China did bring a weaker version originally to Thailand. Listening to authorities and no aversion to mask wearing.

And most importantly som tom

10 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Are you insinuating that China knowingly and intentionally spread the virus to the US, Europe and Africa, but made sure the virus does not attack its neighbours? This is more than ridiculous, it's close to vicious.

Some Chinese say the new flare-up in HK is the result of mainland China bringing the virus there, on purpose, for political reasons...